Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #4721
pepe44
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Great Do the displays work ok? (plugin parameter name/value)

To open the learn window, you need to assign a button:
Code:
SomeButton ToggleLearnMode
By all means familiarise yourself with the Learn window, but LearnMode itself is still being developed, so it might be a while before you can map plugins with it.

No problem Once get the hang of how Zones work and have mapped few plugins it will seem a lot easier
No, The parameters were swapped around! eheh
One thing i noticed is that reaper hangs too much when removing the plugin, stops responding a while and then comes back (maybe because of the file that i´m editing is open on notepad++ ?
Another thing is the rotary encoders, even with FXparameters set different some change at same time!

Last edited by pepe44; 09-16-2019 at 02:58 PM.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #4722
Freex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Please post the contents of your .ost and .zon files immediately, before any more stress is incurred

Seriously, post 'em and we'll get you sorted.
LOL (hair pulled out)

That's everything, Just in case.

Last edited by Freex; 03-25-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Freex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #4723
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post
LOL (hair pulled out)

That's everything, Just in case.
Sometimes there are unintended consequences... that actually work in your favour

You just sent me the whole debug set

I'm just starting to work through -- notice that the switches are generating Press only using your .touchosc files on a Mac, confirming our bug in Windows Touch OSC of a while back.

I will fix all of that up, then move on to .ost file -- notice the switches map, the rotaries don't, but I can see input from rotaries, that suggests an .ost problem.

I'll work through this and get you going...
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #4724
pepe44

I have this in my UAD zon file

DisplayUpper7 FXParamNameDisplay 2 "CPS"
DisplayLower7 FXParamValueDispaly
Rotary7 FXParam 2
Toggle+RotaryPush7 NoAction

if i move the plugin with the mouse i can see it changing in the X-Touch encoder but when i move the encoder it takes wayyyy tooo long to change the parameter in the plugin, can i make it faster changing the value ?
Old 09-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #4725
Freex

Quote:
Sometimes there are unintended consequences... that actually work in your favour

You just sent me the whole debug set
I figured you might as well have everything to get the full overview, incase I miss something.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #4726
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
I have this in my UAD zon file

DisplayUpper7 FXParamNameDisplay 2 "CPS"
DisplayLower7 FXParamValueDispaly
Rotary7 FXParam 2
Toggle+RotaryPush7 NoAction

if i move the plugin with the mouse i can see it changing in the X-Touch encoder but when i move the encoder it takes wayyyy tooo long to change the parameter in the plugin, can i make it faster changing the value ?
Check that you haven't turned on any MIDI monitoring options in the Learn Window. Also zip up your files and post them, if you want me to take a look at them (there's a typo in the DisplayLower line you posted)
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #4727
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post
I figured you might as well have everything to get the full overview, incase I miss something.
Yeah, I didn't really get this until now, but I am saying this Touch OSC is going to be GREAT for debugging -- I can trace from the Surface emulation right through.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #4728
MalcolmG

Quote:
Right it doesn't have a Shift.

The Shift function doesn't have to be defined for each Surface -- Shift is at a Page level.

Whatever Surface you Press Shift on doesn't matter -- any Shift pressed on any Surface Shifts the whole Page.
That's not what I'm seeing. I've had to include the Shift Shift line in any zone on the surface that has the Shift button. If I do that, then any other surface can use it no problem. Same goes for Alt/Control/etc.

I've simplified this right down, pulling out all other Zones except my Home zone, and even then I still need to put Shift Shift in.

That fixes it and I'm moving ahead, but let me know if you want more details in case anyone else is seeing this (I think maybe @Freex is seeing the same behaviour)

Cheers
Malcolm

Last edited by MalcolmG; 09-16-2019 at 07:08 PM.
MalcolmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #4729
MalcolmG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmG View Post
I have a FCB1010, which is a foot controller. It has a bunch of foot switches and two expression pedals. One of the expression pedals maps perfectly as a Fader7Bit, the other one is a bit odd.

Basically anytime it moves in the bottom half of its range, it transmits ba 0a 00. Regardless of whether it is increasing or decreasing, as long as it is under half way, it sends that same message

Equally, if it is in the top half of its range, it sends ba 0a 01. Again, regardless of whether it is increasing or decreasing.

This seems really odd. If it sent 00 when decreasing and 01 when increasing, that would make sense. I've tried resetting it back to default settings, but still the same behavior.

Anyone seen a control like this before? Any idea how I define it as a widget?
I think this one got lost in the great Shift Shift discussion

Anyone seen a widget behave like this?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #4730
MixMonkey

Quote:
I think this one got lost in the great Shift Shift discussion

Anyone seen a widget behave like this?
Did you try this ?

2.9 Calibrating expression pedals A and B

Should you experience problems with exact MIDI controller data transmission while using the expression pedals, we recommend calibrating the pedals. Calibrating the pedals follows the complition of the FCB1010 self-test.
◊ All software versions 1.4 and newer allow for direct calibration by keeping the switches 1 and 5 pressed while powering up the unit.
If your FCB1010 features the software version 1.4 or higher, skip the first 4 steps in the set of instructions that follow (i.e. start at point number 5). To find if your unit features version 1.4 or higher of the software, first try keeping the switches 1 and 5 pressed while powering up the unit. If nothing happens, start calibrating your FCB1010 beginning with the first step in the list that follows.
• Keep the switches 1 and 3 pressed while powering up the unit. This puts your FCB1010 into self-test mode, and all LEDs are being tested.
• Please wait until all switch LEDs light up. Then press all the switches, including the UP/ENTER and DOWN/ESCAPE keys, so that all LEDs are turned off.
• Wait for a moment while the relay test is completed (four quiet cliking sounds are heard). The display shows F1 if no MIDI connection is present. If you connected MIDI Out to MIDI In, the display shows A1. In this case, the MIDI connections operate correctly.
• Press DOWN/ESCAPE once.
• Move the expression pedal A to the lowest value possible (pedal open). The VALUE 1 LED lights up. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
• Move the expression pedal A to the highest value possible (pressed down all the way). The VALUE 2 LED lights up. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
• Move the expression pedal B to the lowest value possible. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
• Move the expression pedal B to the highest value possible. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
Both pedals are now correctly calibrated.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #4731
MixMonkey

Configurator update

Bug fix: Prevented error message on Windows when file selector box is cancelled without choosing a file.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 09-27-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #4732
MalcolmG

Quote:
Did you try this ?

2.9 Calibrating expression pedals A and B

Should you experience problems with exact MIDI controller data transmission while using the expression pedals, we recommend calibrating the pedals. Calibrating the pedals follows the complition of the FCB1010 self-test.
◊ All software versions 1.4 and newer allow for direct calibration by keeping the switches 1 and 5 pressed while powering up the unit.
If your FCB1010 features the software version 1.4 or higher, skip the first 4 steps in the set of instructions that follow (i.e. start at point number 5). To find if your unit features version 1.4 or higher of the software, first try keeping the switches 1 and 5 pressed while powering up the unit. If nothing happens, start calibrating your FCB1010 beginning with the first step in the list that follows.
• Keep the switches 1 and 3 pressed while powering up the unit. This puts your FCB1010 into self-test mode, and all LEDs are being tested.
• Please wait until all switch LEDs light up. Then press all the switches, including the UP/ENTER and DOWN/ESCAPE keys, so that all LEDs are turned off.
• Wait for a moment while the relay test is completed (four quiet cliking sounds are heard). The display shows F1 if no MIDI connection is present. If you connected MIDI Out to MIDI In, the display shows A1. In this case, the MIDI connections operate correctly.
• Press DOWN/ESCAPE once.
• Move the expression pedal A to the lowest value possible (pedal open). The VALUE 1 LED lights up. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
• Move the expression pedal A to the highest value possible (pressed down all the way). The VALUE 2 LED lights up. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
• Move the expression pedal B to the lowest value possible. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
• Move the expression pedal B to the highest value possible. When the value is adjusted, press the UP/ENTER key.
Both pedals are now correctly calibrated.
Yeah, I did that one as well after the factory reset. Will try and use the FCB1010 editor when I get home tonight and see if I can redefine what it is.

Cheers
Malcolm
Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #4733
mschnell

Quote:
I suppose we should be grateful they still support 32 bit, Apple have just killed support for it.
No way to use a GNU compiler ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #4734
mschnell

Quote:
To open the learn window, you need to assign a button:
Code:
SomeButton ToggleLearnMode
Is it necessary to define a Learn button on the Surface ? In case there are not that many buttons, it might be more desirable to assign a PC key combination for this.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #4735
Freex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Is it necessary to define a Learn button on the Surface ? In case there are not that many buttons, it might be more desirable to assign a PC key combination for this.

-Michael
You can put the shortcut in reaper, it's the "no action" shortcut.
I have it on my tool bar atm just in case everything goes rogue.

Last edited by Freex; 09-17-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #4736
pepe44

Diving into this new learn mode!!! Looks awesome, STILL.
How does waves make it on the LV1 system, so that no need to make custom mapping for every plugin its loaded on the surface ? it automatically maps the parameters to the plugin. Does this make sense for further programming ?
Old 09-17-2019, 03:45 AM   #4737
pepe44

Could you please help on how to make this.
I´m mapping the ReaEQ to my X touch. Since i only have 8 encoders i would like to make one encoder to be able to perform 2 functions.

1- changing the frequency value + rotarypush and rotate adjust the Q factor for that frequency
. For now i have this :

DisplayUpper3 FXParamNameDisplay 3 "LMHz"
DisplayLower3 FXParamValueDispaly 3
Rotary3 FXParam 3
Toggle+RotaryPush3 FXParam 5

what it does it changing the bandwidth from monimum to max value, doesn´t change the actual value . I know i´m doing something wrong, cant figure out what.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2019, 03:51 AM   #4738
pepe44

DONE

Rotary3 FXParam 3
Shift+Rotary3 FXParam 5
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #4739
MalcolmG

Quote:
Yeah, I did that one as well after the factory reset. Will try and use the FCB1010 editor when I get home tonight and see if I can redefine what it is.

Cheers
Malcolm
OK, after too much time mucking around with two different PC editors for the FCB1010, I found out it was set to an odd midi configuration apparently used for controlling old theatre lighting systems (as best I can google).

For some reason I couldn't dump a new SYSEX to it, so resorted to directly programming the expression pedal on the device. At times it felt like the Riverdance, with all the pedal pressing and foot crossing, but I got into a bit of a rhythm and changed all 100 presets to send the original, encoder-like messages and now it's good to go.

If anyone in future reads this with an FCB1010, save your ankles and message me and I'll send you the sysex.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #4740
MixMonkey

Quote:
DONE

Rotary3 FXParam 3
Shift+Rotary3 FXParam 5
Change:
Code:
to

Code:
DisplayLower3 FXParamValueDisplay 3
This was a typo in my original post.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #4741
MixMonkey

Quote:
At times it felt like the Riverdance, with all the pedal pressing and foot crossing, but I got into a bit of a rhythm and changed all 100 presets to send the original, encoder-like messages and now it's good to go.
ROFL
Old 09-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #4742
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

More CR LF stuff.

IncludedZones and ParentZone should now work in Learn Mode.

Thanks to @Freex, there is now a Touch OSC layout for the C4, that means we have a C4 emulator -- YAY !

Also included are the .ost and a starter .zon or 2 in the C4 folder.

@Freex, I tuned those files a bit, should work better now.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:01 AM   #4743
MixMonkey

Quote:

Thanks to @Freex, there is now a Touch OSC layout for the C4, that means we have a C4 emulator -- YAY !
I haven't really kept up with the C4 emu, can it use the same FX.zon files as a real C4?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #4744
Colox

Another curious person chiming on, recommended by Gerrit. Interesting project.

Looking into the options of building hardware controllers myself, with moderate abilities and experiences in electronics and programming. I just don't work well with a mouse. Never have.

I got a Console 1 available right now as a surface, and I can load the Control Surface Integrator into Reaper and configure things with Console1 fine. Trying to assign controls with targets now but I'm having slow progress trying to get Console1 control ReaComp. As usual, Console1 doesn't seem to want to work with anything other than its own plugins.

Last edited by Colox; 09-17-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #4745
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post

Looking into the options of building hardware controllers myself, with moderate abilities and experiences in electronics and programming. I just don't work well with a mouse. Never have.

I got a Console 1 available right now as a surface, and I can load the Control Surface Integrator into Reaper and configure things with Console1 fine. Trying to assign controls with targets now but I'm having slow progress trying to get Console1 control ReaComp. As usual, Console1 doesn't seem to want to work with anything other than its own plugins.
Geoff is really the one to answer this, as he has a Console1, but I don't think the Console1 can work 'natively' with its own plugins at the same time as outputting MIDI to work with CSI.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #4746
Freex

Quote:
I haven't really kept up with the C4 emu, can it use the same FX.zon files as a real C4?
Yes, that's the way I set it up, it's the c4 with a few extra buttons, more for convenience.

I'm using it to check my fxzones when i'm on the home pc.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #4747
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

You can't run the Console 1 Software with CSI -- Console 1 stops sending/receiving Midi when you run the software.

There is a ReaComp .zon file in CSI/Zones/Console1.

Here is a quick demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqW...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 09-17-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #4748
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yes, it's fantastic, now when anyone has trouble with a C4, they can send along the .ost/.zon files and the recipient can troubleshoot just like there was a real C4 in the room -- GREAT for debugging !!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #4749
Colox

Quote:
You can't run the Console 1 Software with CSI -- Console 1 stops sending/receiving Midi when you run the software.

Here is a quick demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqW...ature=youtu.be
Ah, I suspected this about Console 1. And your video was originally what made me think that perhaps I might run CSI from Console1 after all, because mr Waddington sure seems to do just that in the video. :P

I'll have to get another control surface to experiment with then. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #4750
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yes, it's fantastic, now when anyone has trouble with a C4, they can send along the .ost/.zon files and the recipient can troubleshoot just like there was a real C4 in the room -- GREAT for debugging !!
Wow, awesome idea! Presumably this can be extrapolated to any other surface?

Also, I remember seeing in your video that when both the TouchOsc and real surface were present, that the controls on one were intrinsically linked to the controls on the other. This surely opens up the possibility of providing a display capability for surfaces that don't have one (the Behringer BCR2000 springs to mind, amongst others- MIDI Twister?)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #4751
pepe44

guys, i would like to be able, for the tracks that have more than one plugin already mapped to CSI, to choose what plugin to control before the display shows the parameters. how can i do that ?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #4752
MixMonkey

Quote:
guys, i would like to be able, for the tracks that have more than one plugin already mapped to CSI, to choose what plugin to control before the display shows the parameters. how can i do that ?
In the X-Touch Home Zone add:
Code:
OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu
In the same X-Touch .zon file add a new Zone:
Code:
        Zone FXMenu|1-8
		SelectedTrackNavigator
		DisplayUpper| FXNameDisplay |
		DisplayLower| NoAction
		Rotary NoAction
		RotaryPush| GoFXSlot |
	ZoneEnd
In every FX Zone, make sure you have:
Code:
SelectedTrackNavigator
Not:
Code:
FocusedFXNavigator
You'll probably want to enable/disable the FX Menu appearing when you switch tracks, pick a button and put this in the X-Touch Buttons Zone:
Code:
SomeButton ToggleMapSelectedTrackFXMenu
Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #4753
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Wow, awesome idea! Presumably this can be extrapolated to any other surface?
Yes, that's exactly the idea !

Getting @Freex up and running required changes to the .touchosc, .ost, and .zon files as well as some internal coding changes on my end for things I hadn't considered about always allowing Press/Release -- which right now were only showing up with OSC.

That bunch of problems would have been extremely difficult to diagnose if I didn't have everything here right in front of me -- on the bench as it were -- and would have buried this thread with back and forth noise as we sorted through it -- this way -- Piece of cake

Quote:
Also, I remember seeing in your video that when both the TouchOsc and real surface were present, that the controls on one were intrinsically linked to the controls on the other.
That's just because both the Console 1 Compressor section and the iPhone where both mapped to the LA2A Compressor, but yeah, easy to do.

Quote:
This surely opens up the possibility of providing a display capability for surfaces that don't have one (the Behringer BCR2000 springs to mind, amongst others- MIDI Twister?)
Oh yeah, and much, much more
Old 09-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #4754
Colox

Quote:
That's just because both the Console 1 Compressor section and the iPhone where both mapped to the LA2A Compressor
No. In your video, the example with the IK Multimedia LA2A is just the last example of three where the Console1 is involved.

At 20 seconds into the video, you do turn an EQ control on your Console1 and your IK Multimedia Pultec on the screen responds accordingly. You actually say it out loud too, right at that point, that the Console1 EQ is mapped to the Pultec EQ. And next up you turn a button on the compressor section of Console1, and say that this button is mapped to your IK Multimedia Fairchild 660, and we can clearly see a control on the 660 move correspondingly.

That was what gave the impression that Console1 could control plugins via CSI. That's why I tried to do the same myself

Last edited by Colox; 09-17-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #4755
MixMonkey

Quote:

That's what gave the impression that the Console1 could control plugins via CSI.
It can, what's your point?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #4756
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
No. In your video, the example with the IK Multimedia LA2A is just the last example of three where the Console1 is involved.

At 20 seconds into the video, you do turn an EQ control on your Console1 and your IK Multimedia Pultec on the screen responds accordingly. You actually say it out loud too, right at that point, that the Console1 EQ is mapped to the Pultec EQ. And next up you turn a button on the compressor section of Console1, and say that this button is mapped to your IK Multimedia Fairchild 660, and we can clearly see a control on the 660 move correspondingly.

That was what gave the impression that Console1 could control plugins via CSI. That's why I tried to do the same myself
Communication issue

You absolutely can use Console 1 to control plugins, just not IF you run the Softube app (executable) that gives you the screens for the selection buttons, other fancy graphics, etc.

If you don't start that app, Console 1 Midi works fine, and that's what you see in the video, the Console 1 plugged in, but NO Softube Console 1 app running -- CSI and Console 1 work fine together in this configuration.

BTW UAD not IK Multimedia

If this is not clear, please ask away
Old 09-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #4757
Colox

Quote:
It can, what's your point?
My point? Is that in #4747 Waddington told me that Console 1 can't be used, because it stops sending/receiving Midi when you run CSI. But it seems he edited his message since then ... Hm, now I'm a bit confused what happened here.

Plus, from his response, (as I read it), I wrote (#4749) that I now believed that Console1 couldn't control CSI. And so far nobody has corrected that, if it was a wrongful conclusion/statement.

And finally my test with my own Console1 (which failed) seemed to confirm what I felt I heard Waddington tell me.

But .. hmm ...

Quote:
BTW UAD not IK Multimedia
Gah, seems I'm wrong about every little detail now ... aaaahh

Quote:
Communication issue
Yes, In short. Something happened here it seems. Human bug, weird misunderstanding.
I have to retry Console1 then ..

Great first impression in the thread, Colox. Superb

Last edited by Colox; 09-17-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #4758
MixMonkey

Quote:
My point? Is that in #4747 he told me that Console 1 can't be used, becuse it stops sending/receiving Midi when you run CSI. But it seems he edited his message since then. Hm, now I'm a bit confused what happened here.

Plus, from that response (as I read it) I wrote that I now believed that Console1 couldn't control CSI. And so far nobody has corrected me about that, if it was a wrongful conclusion/statement.

And finally my test with my own Console1 (which failed) seemed to confirm what I felt I heard Waddington tell me.

But .. hmm ...
No, he told you that the Console 1 stops sending/receiving MIDI when the Console1 Software is running , not CSI.
Quote:
Plus, from that response (as I read it) I wrote that I now believed that Console1 couldn't control CSI. And so far nobody has corrected me about that, if it was a wrongful conclusion/statement.
I'm pretty sure I just did

Seriously though, there are a few things to get right to make it work, just keep asking questions
Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #4759
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
My point? Is that in #4747 Waddington told me that Console 1 can't be used, because it stops sending/receiving Midi when you run CSI. But it seems he edited his message since then ... Hm, now I'm a bit confused what happened here.
Yeah, I edited it, because i realized "the software" could mean CSI or the Softube Console 1 app, so I changed it -- but that is indeed where this all started

Quote:
Gah, seems I'm wrong about every little detail now ... aaaahh
Haha, couldn't resist

Quote:
Yes, In short. Something happened here it seems. Human bug, weird misunderstanding.
I have to retry Console1 then ..

Great first impression in the thread, Colox. Superb
Thanks, yeah, the Console 1 works just fine, especially with addition of a Phone and/or Pad.

The console1 fulfills the "Channel" role and the devices fulfill the "Outboard" role to use old school large studio terms.

It's a very powerful combo, and you can add as many Phones/Pads as you have kicking around, as well as surfaces of course.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #4760
pepe44

Thanks @MixMonkey, that worked. I had stuff there but there was a | sign blocking things from going to subMenus i think.

Now another thing is my Faderbank and channel bank dont do anything, I have them set in the widgets page, *.mst file

Widget BankLeft
Press 90 2E 7f
WidgetEnd

Widget BankRight
Press 90 2F 7f
WidgetEnd

Widget ChannelLeft
Press 90 30 7f
WidgetEnd

Widget ChannelRight
Press 90 31 7f
WidgetEnd