Old 06-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
groff
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper <-> MAGMA <-> UAD-1

Salute to Reaper community!

Guys and gurus, I'm wondering about using this

http://www.magma.com/products/pci/index.html

to expand number of UAD-1 cards with Reaper.

Is it possible? Any experience, latency issues ... what do you think?

Thanx
groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
True North

Reaper is not my main DAW but I have four UAD's in a 7 slot Magma chassis. Reaper's automatic delay compensation dealt with the latencies just fine when I test it out.

The bigger problem you may encounter is that the current UAD solution in Reaper renders any multi-core environment virtually useless. That is not to say you can't use a UAD with a Multicore CPU(s) it's just that you have to set Reaper to a special setting in order to use your UAD(s) with any stability. This setting only allows Reaper to use one CPU primarily even if you have multiple cores.

I don't know if that it explains it well enough but feel free to ask more questions, cheers!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
groff

Thanks True North for your input. I appreciate it.

Last night after posting here (sorry) I have found this:

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2006/december/index5.html

and this:

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/...pic.php?t=5651

I'm reading about multi core/UADdriver/Reaper problem and presume that UA would not do any step further to solve this only for the Reaper (let's be realistic).

I'm using non multicore P4 3.0 HT and don’t see much reasons for going multi (except native plugins) with Reaper if multi –UAD environment is possible.

Then comes the question - What's behind „4 x UAD-1 cards per PC limit“? Is it possible to use more than 4 cards on one computer?

Regards
Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by groff View Post
I'm using non multicore P4 3.0 HT and don’t see much reasons for going multi (except native plugins) with Reaper if multi –UAD environment is possible.
For single core users, using the UAD-1 syncronous mode it is not even an issue. I have a low end Core Duo (e6300) and it is not an issue at all for me. I offload 90% of my FX processing to my UAD-1 cards and I end up with a lot of native CPU (70% or more)just sitting there doing nothing anyway even when mixing a 30-40 track project. What the UAD-1 syncronous mode does give me is peace of mind and stability when mixing. None of the native CPU munching, dropouts, gapping, loss of PDC, etc. that I always experienced in other DAW's when using a UAD-1 plugins. Just pure mixing bliss!

Quote:
Then comes the question - What's behind „4 x UAD-1 cards per PC limit“? Is it possible to use more than 4 cards on one computer?

There is a UA imposed (4) card limit per computer. I am not sure if it is for technical reasons or what, but the UAD-1 drivers can only handle/see (4) cards at a time. REAPER works really well with (4) cards. I can routinely get 90%-93% total DSP load across all (4) cards. That includes being able to save & re-open the project without issues. Which is as good if not better than most other PDC capable DAW's out there.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
groff

Thanks Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post
Just pure mixing bliss!
That's the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post
There is a UA imposed (4) card limit per computer.
Still don’t get such DSP power nearsightedness of UA.

Better - why they don't want our money?

I sent mail to UA just to see if they have plan to raise the limit (I'm reading only rumors at UA forum). I will post the replay here. If any.

Regards
Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
billybk1

Here is a pic of REAPER & my UAD-1's during playback of a (30) track (7) bus project @ 1024 project latency. Notice how much native CPU I am not even using. All FX are UAD-1 (23 plugins) and I am using some of the most DSP & latency intensive plugin algo's you will ever find (Neve 33609's, 1081, 1073, Fairchild, Helios, Plate 140, etc). No native CPU munching, no gapping, no dropouts, no loss of PDC, I can effortlessly change loop regions and even smooth seek, on the fly and REAPER stays smooth as butter!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
groff

That's impressive, Billy.

Often I come up with 50+ tracks in arr, so extra DSP power from the UAD cards is not unnecessary for me.

We need more power!!!! Do they listen at all?

Imagine 13 slot Magma full of UAD cards. Pure beauty.

I’m pretty sure every serious 4-card user would double the number of card in one year.

How they can’t see that is a mystery.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
billybk1

Quote:
I’m pretty sure every serious 4-card user would double the number of card in one year.

How they can’t see that is a mystery.
UA is well aware of the need for more DSP power, especially since the release of the classic Neve series of plugins. They hear the user base loud and clear on that issue. At the recent TapeOp Con, a UA rep when asked, unofficially of course, said a UAD-2 version of some sort has been in the works but they cannot release any details and not to look for it before 2008.
In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy and make use of what I do have. I am especially liking the latest batch of UAD-1 plugins (Neve 88rs channel strip & LA3A) in V4.7. Both are relatively DSP friendly so you can get a boatload of instances of those plugins and they sound great.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
groff

Thanks for the info Billy. We will see what they are cooking. Hope soon.

One more thing, I see lot of 8 slot Magma chassis in the game but filed with 4 cards (of course).

Is there any reason for plugging the cards in every second slot? Why is that? IRQ sharing? Dimensions of the card?

Knowing card number limit, investing in 4-5 slot chassis could be better choice or at least cheaper I suppose.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
billybk1

I am not familiar with magma's or expansion chassis having never used one. FYI, there is an informative thread over at the UAD-1 forum on working magma's & expansion chassis that may be of interest:

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/...pic.php?t=5651

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 06-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
groff

Thanks man,

I was reading this but didn't found the clear answer. I will post the question there.

Regards
Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
True North

Quote:
One more thing, I see lot of 8 slot Magma chassis in the game but filed with 4 cards (of course).

Is there any reason for plugging the cards in every second slot? Why is that? IRQ sharing? Dimensions of the card?

Knowing card number limit, investing in 4-5 slot chassis could be better choice or at least cheaper I suppose.
The only reason I can think of for spreading the units out in alternating slots is for better heat dissipation.

As far as buying your Magma the best advice given to me, that I actually followed, is be patient and wait for one to come up on ebay. Don't be too picky on the number of slots ( 7 or8 whatever) and something will come up at a fraction of the cost. I got mine for about $350 USD !!

Unlike audio gear those expansion chassis' don't retain any significant value for some reason.

Cheers!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
groff

Thanks for advice. Of course eBay is always a good option for that.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
groff

and here is Replay from UA (today):

Thanks for the input! We are always looking at new ways to give more power to our customers, however at this time we have nothing to announce.

At least we have the fresh news.