Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default "Replace Missing File" dialog box

Mac 10.9.5
Reaper 4.77

When I get the missing file dialog, usually the path name displayed is so long I can't see anywhere near what the file name is that is missing. And I can't select IN that "field" to navigate to the end to see what the file is called or the full length of where it was.

Can you give us a resizeable dialog there, or a huge field to allow for extra long path name visibility?

Also a button that copies the missing file name to the clipboard, so we can search outside of Reaper for that file would be great too.

Thanks for listening.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Mac 10.9.5
Reaper 4.77

When I get the missing file dialog, usually the path name displayed is so long I can't see anywhere near what the file name is that is missing. And I can't select IN that "field" to navigate to the end to see what the file is called or the full length of where it was.

Can you give us a resizeable dialog there, or a huge field to allow for extra long path name visibility?

Also a button that copies the missing file name to the clipboard, so we can search outside of Reaper for that file would be great too.

Thanks for listening.
Bump.

This bites me a lot as I work at a facility, on a server, where the directory path alone eats up the entire display for the missing file. I have no idea what file the dialog box is referring to. Clicking in the missing file name path field and navigating to it is cumbersome.

Another option is to be able to toggle off displaying the entire path and show the file name only.

But a button to copy the file name only, right within this dialog box, would allow me to use another app to locate the missing file.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:40 AM   #3
DarkStar

Generally many people arrange for the project-specific files to be stored in a sub-folder of the project directory, so the path is short.

But, for the long paths, try clicking into the name and dragging the mouse right or left (or press End or Home).

Here, dragging through the path, then Ctrl+c copies the full name to the clipboard.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Generally many people arrange for the project-specific files to be stored in a sub-folder of the project directory, so the path is short.
Thats a valid way to work for many, but doesn't apply to my situation which is also a valid way to go. I do sound design and work from a huge sound effects library. I use Reaper only for design work and drag files direct from Soundminer into Reaper (referencing the original location) which allows me to try new ideas without generating any new media other than anything new I might render out. As files get made and used, they also get filed into permanent locations at a later date, and this is where links break. Paths to files are across multiple drives and servers and can't be shortened enough to fit in the path field of that "missing files" dialog unfortunately. 100% of the time with the directory structure I have (and the studios I work at have), missing file paths extend well beyond the field.

Quote:

But, for the long paths, try clicking into the name and dragging the mouse right or left (or press End or Home).

Here, dragging through the path, then Ctrl+c copies the full name to the clipboard.
This is what I've been doing already for the past couple of years.

Clearly this doesn't affect many people but its an add that would certainly clean up the process for those of us this affects regularly.

Even a resizable dialog box (preferably that remembers its size next time it pops up) would be helpful.