Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
groove
Human being with feelings

Default Possible to have an Amplitude Envelope track modify a stereo track ??

I know one can use volume automation but I would be interested in creating custom envelopes as wave files and use it to process an audio track. The only operation required is to multiple the left channel envelope track with the left Channel audio track and the same for the right track. Is there a way to do this in Reaper ?

Thanks
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

It's a super simple JS plugin to write. Open the FX browser, right click around where the different categories are displayed, and choose "Create New JS FX". Name it something meaningful to you, and it should show you a default GUI with a bunch of sliders. Hit the Edit button. Scroll down and delete everything below where it says @sample.

Insert the following lines:

spl0 *= spl2;
spl1 *= spl3;

Then hit Ctl+S to save and recompile it. You can actually delete all the other code in there, but it's not really hurting anything. Now route your audio signal to channels 1/2 of that plugin (this would be default if you just stick the plug on the audio track) and route the control signal to channels 3/4.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
groove

Thanks ashcat_It appreciate you posting this.

I did create a JS FX and named it Amp_Envelope. I am having trouble on the routing and would appreciate your help.

On track 1 is the stereo source audio file. Track 2 contains the stereo envelope. The JS FX Amp_Envelope was added to track one.

For track 2 I routed the envelope signals as follows send to track 1 Audio 1,2 > 3,4.
For track 1 routing receive from track 2 audio 1,2 > 3,4

Now in track one you see all 4 channels that all modulate.

But I only hear the control signal - which contains a strong DC and sub-audio range spectrum. However when exporting or rendering track 1 it contains the proper envelope modulation and you only hear the modulated audio not the control signal.

Clearly I am doing something wrong in the setup ? Your help would be much appreciated.

Groove
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Turn off the Master/Parent send on Track 2?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
groove

Yes I had the Master send in track 2 on. Once I unchecked it it worked fine. Thanks again. I will definitely start looking more into programing in JS FX.

Groove