Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
ajmiller
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI using Roland VSC

I’m probably going to be spending a bit of time in ‘newbieland’! Here goes with first of many questions!
I use midi files as backing tracks to play trumpet to. When I load up a midi file and separate it to multiple tracks how do I route patches from the VSTi Roland VSC to each track. At present I’m loading via FX a Roland VSC VSTi for every track but this doesn’t seem right. I can’t work out how to do it easily. Any help appreciated.
ajmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
ivansc

Set the MIDI channel for each instrument how you want it routed then go into VSC and set the instrument for each channel.

I generally do this in the event list editor, simply because that`s the way I used to do it with my real Sound Canvas back in the day, but there are several ways to do what you want, all easy.

If you havent already downloaded and checked out the User Manual & had a look at some of the turorial vides at reaper.fm, DO!

I also posted a link in the newbie section recently to Edirol/Roland`s updated version of their MIDI for beginners guide. Absolute gold if you arent to sure about MIDI and sequencing in general.

FOUND and bumped it https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=211415
Old 10-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
ajmiller

Thanks ivansc - I’ve spent the evening searching the forum here and have a better understanding now. Also, thanks for the link to the midi for beginners guide. Looks useful.
Tony
ajmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
Jorgen

I did an experiment with Cakewalk's TTS-1. First I put it on a reaper track, then imported a multichannel midi file, and reaper asked what I wanted to do with it. I chose single events on new tracks, and no problemo, 16 new tracks were created. However, I had to put a send on every track to the track with the TTS instrument... but it worked, the TTS played the proper instruments.

What I couldn't figure out, however, was how to route the audio back to its own track, meaning, all mixing had to be done inside the TTS. I'm sure it's a simple thing, I just don't know how.

You can also import the midi in a single file, load up that TTS and it will play just fine.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote