Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #321
babag
Human being with feelings

thanks so much for the info, jack. i'll definitely look into that link. may take till over the weekend, though. will try for tonight but not sure.

thanks again,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:07 AM   #322
4duhwinnn

Some deevil app installed Bonjour service and it's minions
in my wine (apple network stuff). And to make it worse, screwed up the insidious install,
so wine failed to work!

To rescue wine, it took a couple of hours on google, then deleting
bonjour's visible parts, and finding/deleting several registry keys.
The errors I was getting were pretty common among wine gamers,
over several years.

I still don't know how it got installed, the only things I've added
are Kirnu Cream, the Aparillo demo, and a few effects plugins from
BedroomProducerBlog top 50 list.

If this jogs some bad memory, I'd be interested in finding
the villain, as long as it's not something dumb on my part...
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 01-12-2018 at 03:14 AM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #323
Jack Winter

Not that it helps with tracking down the culprit, but I have divided my windows plugins between several prefixes. Like ~/.wvst-prefix/fabfilter, mixed, ik, etc. Like that I can easily change some dll override for a group of plugins and not others, and something happening in one prefix won't kill all of them. The good thing is that it makes it nearly effortless to backup the prefix, just a cp -r source destination and I have a backup to restore in case something breaks when installing new stuff.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #324
daeavelwyn

Default [ ISSUE ] tooltips make main windows to loose focus

So, here is an issue I get with reaper 5.70 native linux version from landoleet.

When you let the mouse on a UI elements, by default Reaper makes a tooltip popup to appear. This make the main windows to lose the focus and your shortcuts no more work.

A workaround to avoid this behaviour is to go to Preferences > Apparence and UNCHECK Tooltips for UI elements and Tooltips for itmes/enveloppes
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #325
daeavelwyn

Default [ ISSUE-SOLVED ] can't use chrt to set reaper realtime priority

TO really use Reaper with the best performances under linux, I'm trying to make it launches with realtime priority to its process.

But using chrt -p 49 reaper5 create a segmentation fault, so I can't use realtime priority with reaper.

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 01-13-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: issue solved see below
Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #326
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
TO really use Reaper with the best performances under linux, I'm trying to make it launches with realtime priority to its process.

But using chrt -p 49 reaper5 create a segmentation fault, so I can't use realtime priority with reaper.
Don't do that, instead make sure you're running with realtime permissions, then set the realtime priority either in prefs/audio/device (if using ALSA), or via JACK. You *really* do not want the GUI thread to be realtime, only the audio threads, and even then they need to be set with the correct relative priorities (which REAPER will do automatically if you configure it to).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #327
daeavelwyn

Default [ ISSUE-SOLVED ] can't use chrt to set reaper realtime priority

Oh, ok, glad to see using reaper in realtime is easier than I first thought

Thanks for the informations Justin
Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #328
marxmarv

Default [SOLVED] half-broken left mouse button!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Sorry for the late reply, I can't duplicate this at all.. You could try to build swell yourself, see: https://landoleet.org/dev/libSwell-roll-your-own.txt
No problem. Built libSwell with GDK2=1 and all controls work perfectly. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Very odd -- what window manager/desktop environment are you using?
MATE 1.16 and its Marco, but I tried every wm/de I had on my machine with no change. GDK2=1 fixed it.

Last edited by marxmarv; 01-14-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: marked solved
marxmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #329
Jack Winter

Weird, happy it works for you though!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #330
babag

Quote:
I saw a thread about this just this morning, maybe this is helpful? https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=89144#p89144
thanks again for this, jack. it almost fits my situation exactly. following the tips got jack running well. have yet to test deeply but so far looks fine.

here's another question: now that i've passed a couple of hurdles, i get the impression that i can use carla to run plugins for reaper. does anyone have links to instructions on how to do this? is it possible to use carla to assign track plugins? item plugins? or are they applied to the main outs? most of what i've found so far seems to assume more familiarity than i currently have.

thanks again,
BabaG

Last edited by babag; 01-14-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #331
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Not that it helps with tracking down the culprit, but I have divided my windows plugins between several prefixes. Like ~/.wvst-prefix/fabfilter, mixed, ik, etc. Like that I can easily change some dll override for a group of plugins and not others, and something happening in one prefix won't kill all of them. The good thing is that it makes it nearly effortless to backup the prefix, just a cp -r source destination and I have a backup to restore in case something breaks when installing new stuff.
Thanks for the suggestions. I inched that direction by moving the
synthedit/synthmaker plugins to a separate folder. I did a fresh install
of Mint 18 today, as a SMART error flashed on-screen, so I backed up
backups, and used a different partition, so far, so good,
and a good moment to try extra prefixes.
Cheers
Old 01-15-2018, 02:20 AM   #332
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Menus won't open in 5.7 and later, they work fine in 5.65pre1,
no interim changes in the Mint 18.
with nvidia 9400 pcie video card,
with linux nvidia nouveau driver.
No related terminal output.

Basic tarball expansion install, nothing compiled.

Cheers
It looks like a theme anomally might be involved, rather than Reaper,
as a fresh install of 5.70 with the default theme, and the menus are back.
I'll see if I can reproduce the condition in various themes later.
Cheers
Old 01-15-2018, 03:42 AM   #333
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
thanks again for this, jack. it almost fits my situation exactly. following the tips got jack running well. have yet to test deeply but so far looks fine.

here's another question: now that i've passed a couple of hurdles, i get the impression that i can use carla to run plugins for reaper. does anyone have links to instructions on how to do this? is it possible to use carla to assign track plugins? item plugins? or are they applied to the main outs? most of what i've found so far seems to assume more familiarity than i currently have.

thanks again,
BabaG
Hi, Carla should have a 'rack' version that is a linux native vst
which can be loaded on a track, and then use the Carla hosting
procedures to load lv2 plugins, and maybe other formats that
Carla can use.

Here's a nice magazine article on the topic:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2015/175/Carla

I've used it at times to host guitarix
and some other nice lv2's. Some things in Carla which were defaults
until recently, have now been changed to options, to facilitate faster developement, with changes including some plugin support,
so you may have to take a few extra steps to reach your goals.
Cheers
Old 01-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #334
babag

thanks, 4duhwinnn. if carla can be added to a track in reaper, i assume it has to have its path added to reaper somehow fo it can be detected in a scan? how does one do this? where does the carla element reside for scanning?

thanks again, and i'll be looking through that article soon.
BabaG
Old 01-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #335
stoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
thanks, 4duhwinnn. if carla can be added to a track in reaper, i assume it has to have its path added to reaper somehow fo it can be detected in a scan? how does one do this? where does the carla element reside for scanning?

thanks again, and i'll be looking through that article soon.
BabaG
Like 4duhwinnn said, Carla can be used as a VST plugin, just like any other (native) VST plugin. The easiest way would be to put the VST library in one of the default locations, but you are free to place it wherever you like and then add that path to REAPER's scan path.

I usually prefer to put everything in /usr/lib/vst (or /usr/lib64/vst, dependending on the OS).
Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #336
heda

If anyone here want to test, I would be grateful. I have just updated HeDaScripts Manager with a linux version https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app...cripts-manager
It is for the native linux version, not windows with wine.
Follow the instructions in the txt inside the zip. I have tested in ubuntu. I wonder if it works in other distributions the same.
You need to have these installed in order for the manager to download and extract the scripts.
Code:
      sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
      sudo apt-get install curl
I don't know if there is a bug in the API or what... but I had problems with the reaper.ExecProcess function, not executing the commands. Then I use os.execute which works, so this is what I need to test more. I have found also that the API io.popen is not implemented either. But let's see if it works now. Thanks !
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #337
Jack Winter

I just installed HeDaScripts Manager on Archlinux, seems to work as I downloaded and ran the track inspector.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #338
heda

excellent. Thank you Jack!
do the buttons to visit webpage work? It should open the default browser. it uses the command sensible-browser, but I don't know if that is a ubuntu only thing. I'm not sure what is the standard to open a url from the terminal.
I've noticed that if I open a web with os.execute, then the script and REAPER is not responding until I close the browser again. It doesn't happen if the browser was already running before. This wouldn't be a problem using reaper.ExecProcess function instead of os.execute, but this doesn't work for me.
Anyway... thank you and sorry for not making the linux compatible version sooner :/
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #339
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
it uses the command sensible-browser, but I don't know if that is a ubuntu only thing. I'm not sure what is the standard to open a url from the terminal.
xdg-open ?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #340
Jack Winter

No they don't seem to open for me, but yes use xdg-open: https://linux.die.net/man/1/xdg-open.

Just happy to see it on linux
Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #341
avoca

Hi Heda,

Yep, HedaScripts Manager works well here.
I installed the 'Notes Reader' and it works. But the tick boxes in the Options sidebar don't show 'ticks' when checked, I'm not sure if they are supposed to
And the button to visit the webpage works (Debian 9 Stretch).

Many thanks!
avoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #342
babag

Quote:
I usually prefer to put everything in /usr/lib/vst (or /usr/lib64/vst, dependending on the OS).
thanks for this, stoman. i looked in those places and found the carla plugin (and others) and added the path to reaper which brought carla up in my fx list. previously had no idea how to find it to try to add it to reaper. was immediately able to add a calf reverb for a test and it worked fine!

thanks again,
BabaG
Old 01-18-2018, 03:49 AM   #343
Jack Winter

FWIW, I've started disregarding the system paths for plugins, and install mine in ~/.vst, ~/.wvst, ~/.lv2vst, etc. Sometimes I build the plugins myself and just copy them over to the right dir, other times I install a distro package and copy them from the system path.

In the case of using windows vsts, I do that with LinVst and install various plugins into different wineprefixes which I symlink into ~/.wvst.

Since reaper has no builtin support for LV2 or Windows VSTs, the lv2vst and linvst wrappers are interesting to investigate.

Also to note, that calf plugins seem quite crash prone to many linux hosts, and I've seen discussions putting the DSP quality into question. Possibly a bread and butter set worth investigating is http://lsp-plug.in/, the vst plugins appear to work well in reaper.

Edit:

Though since I bought the fabfilter plugins (which appear to work well in reaper/linvst/wine), I find it increasingly hard to use anything else for my bread and butter...

Last edited by Jack Winter; 01-18-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #344
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca View Post
But the tick boxes in the Options sidebar don't show 'ticks' when checked, I'm not sure if they are supposed to
thanks. it seems it doesn't like the font. I used Arial font which has some tick boxes characters... but it may not be a standard character. This is because I was lazy to make my own tick box drawing rectangles and lines.

I have changed the command to xdg-open and it works well Thanks !
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #345
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I have changed the command to xdg-open and it works well Thanks !
Yeah, can confirm that this works now!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #346
mete0r

This *might* have slipped through the cracks of the thread, sorry if you already saw/replied to it.

I can't change the pitch of an item with shift + 9 (I checked and it's bound in the actions menu), but manually running the action works, changing the semitones in the properties works too. I'm on antergos with gnome 3 if that makes any difference.
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #347
mormegil

Default ambiX VST plugins for Reaper on Linux

Hello,
I am struggling with VST plugins for 3D ambisonics which I have obtained here: www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2015
I am downloading the source code and compiling it without errors to both VST and LV2. Still, one of them cannot work - libambix_binaural_o5. At first, I could not even see the VST plugin listed; it showed up after I ticked the box "Do not scan VST names/types (deprecated)" in the Preferences-->VST. After it is listed, I try to load the plugin but it gives the message: "The following plugin could not be loaded: VST: ambix_binaural_o5.lv2/ambix_binaural_o5"
I don't even know where to look for the error details, turn on some debugging mode or anything. Do you know why am I unable to load this plugin? Or, do you have any idea of where to search for the answer?

My system:
bartlomiej@Latitude-E6410 ~ $ uname -a
Linux Latitude-E6410 4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 22:00:44 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
bartlomiej@Latitude-E6410 ~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Release: 18.3
Codename: sylvia

My Reaper version: Reaper v5.70 rev 7ff7ec (Dec 12 2017)

Side note: on Windows 10, the same Reaper version, everything works: https://preview.ibb.co/cpuDyb/screenshot01.png
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 AM   #348
David Else

!!!! UPDATE! Linux builds very close !!!!

https://github.com/airwindows/airwindows/issues/3

--

Airwindows are starting to open source plugins! This guy seems like a bit of a genius, there is going to be some brilliant stuff available I am certain.

https://github.com/airwindows/airwindows

Inside one file it says:

https://github.com/airwindows/airwin...STTemplate.txt

Quote:
For the time being, we got nothin'. No attempts to compile a Linux VST using the Windows VST source files (same as the Mac VST source files: it's the build phase that changes, not the actual VST plugin code) have worked even slightly.

Work in progress. Has anyone ever compiled a Linux VST?

Last edited by David Else; 01-30-2018 at 03:24 PM.
David Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #349
wrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah, REAPER needs a window manager to be usable... try running xfce4 or similar...
Unfortunately, this behaviour of menus that won't stay open long enough for them to be usable also extends to non-reparenting tiling window managers (ratpoison was already mentioned, I'm using dwm and seeing this issue). Any chance you'd be willing to look into it?
wrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #350
4duhwinnn

I have that menu issue with Enlightenment 21 and the recent Reaper releases,
but installed lxde and openbox window managers, rebooted, and choose lxde for the session, and the menus work fine.

If the bootmanager lacks a session option, the login manager
should have one, log out, and on the login screen, choose the
lxde session, and later decide if lxde is good enough to be your default.
Hope this works for people.

Reaper 5.65R1 was the last version that
I had installed which worked in all/most window managers. The trick
is finding what changed...was it something in Reaper, or some very common
linux system update that was picked up my most people over a period of
several weeks.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 01-29-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: mow
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #351
caseyjames

Default build missing?

I'm looking for the latest linux build at:

https://www.landoleet.org/dev/

I see builds in /old/ but...

Any ideas?
caseyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #352
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
I'm looking for the latest linux build at:

https://www.landoleet.org/dev/

I see builds in /old/ but...

Any ideas?
Normally they are at: https://landoleet.org/ but looks like something went wrong with the build system..
Old 02-02-2018, 04:21 AM   #353
Jack Winter

FWIW, there are up to date Linux builds again on lol.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:52 AM   #354
David Else

Airwindows just released their entire back catalogue free and open source on Linux!!

http://www.airwindows.com/airwindows-linux/

There is a little video about most plugins telling you what they do:

https://www.youtube.com/user/airwindows/videos

With this and the u-he, I think the days of needing Windows for music production just ended! The quality and scope of the Airwindows back catalogue covers everything from console emulation to special mathematically perfect gain

Not long ago these were all commercial price plugins, so if you use them then support the guy on https://www.patreon.com/airwindows

PS I have no connection with him, i am just sharing the good news.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #355
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Airwindows just released their entire back catalogue free and open source on Linux!!
But, but, just generic guis
Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #356
biopsin

Quote:
Airwindows just released their entire back catalogue free and open source on Linux!!...
Thanks, will check'em out.
also http://www.discodsp.com/ sales end february, now hopefully that Bliss sampler plug gets on sale soon..

btw, anyone tested u-he latest linux 7015 builds, I tested only MFM2 but I could not get it to detect after a flush db and rescan, however 4408 works..
Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #357
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
btw, anyone tested u-he latest linux 7015 builds, I tested only MFM2 but I could not get it to detect after a flush db and rescan, however 4408 works..
Yeah, I tested u-he latest Repro-5 linux 7015 build and reported back in the KVR thread. It's not quite there yet, but I have 95% of the GUI and the sound is perfect with the VST3 version. Still no MIDI learn.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #358
thewonders

Quote:
With this and the u-he, I think the days of needing Windows for music production just ended!
I don't think so. When all of a user's DAW configurations can be done without going to the command line (like Windows and Macs) then we can consider the possibility that Linux can start replacing Windows/Mac DAWs.
thewonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #359
4duhwinnn

The commandline is a huge asset, with a vast array of tools,
solutions, and shortcuts. As such, it is an ongoing source of education,
and a solid bridge over troubled waters. There are plenty
of linux eye-candie interfaces, and using reaper or bitwig linux versions with the current range of plugins and utilities certainly won't
force anyone into heavy or repeated use of a terminal. I look forward to learning about the Airwindows collection.
Cheers
Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #360
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewonders View Post
I don't think so. When all of a user's DAW configurations can be done without going to the command line (like Windows and Macs) then we can consider the possibility that Linux can start replacing Windows/Mac DAWs.
That is an interesting point. Some people just want to click a .exe and have it do everything for you.

I am about 1.5 years into using Linux, and I remember how confusing and seemingly pointless it was to type:

./program-to-run

when in a directory, rather than:

program-to-run

and also having to sometimes make an executable executable, it actually made me angry that someone was MAKING me do all this stupid work and wasting my time. I can appreciate this angle.

I think the solutions are very simple, it just means that Linux developers have to now provide for 'windows users'. They have to imagine how a Windows user would get confused by something as simple as the command line and make it easy for them. It will be technically very easy, but a 'paradigm shift'.