Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Lowpass and transient plugin in one ?

I'm finding that when I trying to adjust the sound of a Shaker that I'm often removing attack and also high frequencies. Is there a plug-in that I can drag around in two dimensions to adjust varying amounts of both?

So if I dragged vertically I'm adjusting the low-pass and if I dragged horizontally I'm adjusting the transient attack. That way I could just drag the mouse around in a circle and find out where the sweet spot is for both parameters. Anyone else have some ideas on an easy way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:38 AM   #2
SaulT

So I know this request is over two months old, but here's a response.

Your question inspired me to create a plugin that basically does what you wanted - an X-Y grid with attack on the horizontal and lowpass on the vertical. There's a slider for resonance (the Q of the lowpass) and a slider for transient sustain.

Feedback is welcome, this is my first real plugin that I've written in forever and it's got a GUI and everything, I feel so fancy. Sounds pretty good with mid-tempo mixes and a few drumloops, so I'm calling it ready for release.

edit: a few bugfixes and dialed back the gains

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/36681/translow.txt

Last edited by SaulT; 07-08-2019 at 03:40 PM.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:49 AM   #3
Coachz

Awesome! Will try it and report back.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
Coachz

I tried it in the attached project but I can't get a default setting where there is no effect. This is a simple bottle hit. Please check it out with the plugin in bypassed. Thanks !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw37g78bc8...ztemp.zip?dl=0
Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
SaulT

New version uploaded, replace and reload the effect. Move the red circle around, even after dialing the gains back a little the effect should still be pretty noticeable.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:35 AM   #6
Coachz

The new version won't load and coincidentally I ended up back in evaluation mode. Oddness here.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
Coachz

SaulT, do you have any ideas please?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #8
SaulT

Okay so I've done some rewriting and recoding and put it into a project.

Cleaned up slider code and added support for automation, added a very simple form of volume leveling so that it wouldn't blow 20 dB spikes. Demoed in a very primitive form over the wine glass sample and a few free drum loops from Landr.

http://www.filedropper.com/2019-07-09-translow

Of the reference plugins I have, none of them seem to work well with fast mixes or drum loops. If you can suggest changes to my code that would improve functionality you are more than welcome to, but at this point it seems to work best with single sounds or slow to mid tempo mixes and drum loops. My test track was "Ten Crack Commandments (Star Wars Remix)" and it worked pretty well over that...

developed with Reaper Windows x64 version 5.965

Please leave feedback and I should be able to put out an update in about 3 days.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #9
Coachz

SaulT, Thank you so much for trying but I'm getting much distortion on the bottle effect when I enable the translow. I like the interface very much and think it could be a great plugin.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
SaulT

I don't understand what the issue you're having is, as it isn't happening on my end. The more information you can give me the better, I can't improve it if I don't get accurate feedback, me guessing isn't going to solve anything.

Have you tried the Loser/transientcontroller plugin? Does that work? What have you been doing to make it work up to this point? if I know plugins and general settings maybe that can help me have a more concrete target.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 AM   #11
sai'ke

I'm also getting pretty extreme distortion. Did you ship the right version?

It's throwing some pretty serious spikes all over the sound
Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #12
SaulT

None of that looks familiar. Let's try this - I opened the track, rendered the cued up drum loop, the 170 bpm one, exactly with the automation and settings in the project, and this is what came out. Does this match what you see?

http://www.filedropper.com/drum170bpmproc
Old 07-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #13
Coachz

SaulT, the problem is that when using the plugin with my glass bottle demo, simply engaging the plugin makes distortion.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #14
sai'ke

This is what comes out of the project you shared on my end.
https://instaud.io/3WGg

Are you certain we're working with the same version of translow.txt (the one in the filedropper project link). I mean, the distortion is something you would've clearly noticed, so I imagine there must be some version mixup.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #15
SaulT

Okay, geez, the error has been pointed out to me. Turns out that my samplerate dependent stuff had a few little bugs in it that I didn't notice because I work in 48 kHz and that is a nice round number when you multiply it by 0.001 but an srate of 44.1 kHz will blow up and cause a ton of distortion because things like pdc delay don't like to be fractional.

Please download this project and test again, with my apologies for the mistake. If I can improve anything please let me know.

http://www.filedropper.com/2019-07-14-translow
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #16
Coachz

Thank you for all the effort on this plug-in. I tried it with the bottle and a few other things and I don't think it's the plug in for me. It just doesn't sound musical to me.

When I put the Target in the top-right I expect it to be transparent as if the plug-in is not engaged in his I drag it down I expect low pass to be applied and left of course attack to be reduced. It just doesn't sound right to me as I'm going your nose directions. Thank you again for all the effort and I'm sure someone will find it useful.

the good news is you fixed the Distortion with the sample rate issue and as always I'm happy to test any new versions.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #17
sai'ke

What do you normally use for this task?

What kind of dynamics processing, filter settings etc.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #18
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
What do you normally use for this task?

What kind of dynamics processing, filter settings etc.
I currently do this. It's convoluted and would be great to have it all in one plugin but the lowpass and attack plugins are very musical and smooth and I can control both from the ReaEQ interface.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 AM   #19
sai'ke

Ah, I wouldn't really call those regular lowpass or a regular attack shaper. The former seems to do more of a bell-cut style thing for the settings in your GIF, and the latter seems more like a distortion unit that that ducks on instantaneous derivative; which is really more of a distortion than a transient shaper. Some of the processing is uh, a bit unconventional.

But anyways, considering that the source-code to those is open, it would probably not be very hard for someone to lift them into SaulT's UI.

Lowpass2:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ai...wpass2Proc.cpp

Smooth:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ai...SmoothProc.cpp
Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 AM   #20
Coachz

Quote:
Ah, I wouldn't really call those regular lowpass or a regular attack shaper. The former seems to do more of a bell-cut style thing for the settings in your GIF, and the latter seems more like a distortion unit that that ducks on instantaneous derivative; which is really more of a distortion than a transient shaper. Some of the processing is uh, a bit unconventional.

But anyways, considering that the source-code to those is open, it would probably not be very hard for someone to lift them into SaulT's UI.

Lowpass2:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ai...wpass2Proc.cpp

Smooth:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ai...SmoothProc.cpp
ReaEq it's only used as a controller. The bell has nothing to do with it. The point being dragged around is the only value controlling the other two airwindows plugins
Old 07-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #21
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
ReaEq it's only used as a controller. The bell has nothing to do with it. The point being dragged around is the only value controlling the other two airwindows plugins
I meant lowpass2. If you look at its frequency response, it leaves quite a bit of extreme high there. It also has quite some distortion of its own. I just meant to say that it's not what one would typically expect when saying lowpass.

Last edited by sai'ke; 07-16-2019 at 05:18 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:23 AM   #22
Coachz

Quote:
I meant lowpass2. If you look at its frequency response, it leaves quite a bit of extreme high there. It also has quite some distortion of its own. I just meant to say that it's not what one would typically expect when saying lowpass.
I see. I also use glow vst which works great too. They are both very musical.

https://www.gvst.co.uk/glow.htm