Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 AM   #1
Cloudswim
Human being with feelings

Default Korg Nanokey 2 Midi Channel setting....

Hello there, was wondering if anyone is using the NanoKey with Reaper and have a way to set the midi channel to anything other then channel 1?

I know there is a software for this, but does not seem to do anything once I set my nanokey2 to a different channel.

Thanks!
Cloudswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #2
mschnell

Supposedly you want to use the device as a "Control Surface Device". That is why you should discuss this in the appropriate "Control Surfaces" subforum.
(BTW.: It will not do anything unless you define an appropriate Control surface in the Reaper configuration, or if you want it to do anything "dedicatedly" do an appropriate configuration / programming in your reaper project.)
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #3
DarkStar

Looking at the Owner's "manual", the only way to set it it by using the Korg Kontrol Editor software.

Or, you could set the channel in Reaper's Input MIDI menu "Map input to channel".
Old 10-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Cloudswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Looking at the Owner's "manual", the only way to set it it by using the Korg Kontrol Editor software.

Or, you could set the channel in Reaper's Input MIDI menu "Map input to channel".
hi there, not sure what you mean could you elaborate ? thanks!
Old 10-19-2019, 01:51 AM   #5
Softsynth

Nano KONTROL2/KORG KONTROL Editor:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/down...re/0/159/1354/
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Cloudswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
hi this is not working for me for some reason.

Do you own the NANOkeys 2 and use with REAPER?

thanks
Old 10-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #7
numberthirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudswim View Post

thanks
"Not Working..." as in "This Software Won't Even Work..." or "Works, But I Can't Get It To Do A Specific Thing..."?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:38 AM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:

thanks
Hi,
Yes I have done, though I haven't loaded it up in months or years. I used the software to reprogramme a Nanokey and Nano Kontrol to different channels.
I just tested for you now and all the options were greyed out despite the NanoKontrol 2 being connected and working fine.

I followed this up by running this under administrator rights and the device appears.
So that's right click on the icon>Run as administrator.

Then it took a second to find the controller and the greyed out options were suddenly available.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Quote:
hi there, not sure what you mean could you elaborate ? thanks!
Yes, even though I can easily change the MIDI channel of my keyboards, I almost always leave them set to channel 1 and use the method DarkStar suggests.

Right-click on the record-arm button for the track. Under "Input: MIDI" go to "Map input to channel" and select the channel you want incoming MIDI mapped to.

There are actions for "Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel ...". You can create shortcut keys for them or add them to a toolbar, so that you can map the incoming MIDI faster than with the right-click method.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
Cloudswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
"Not Working..." as in "This Software Won't Even Work..." or "Works, But I Can't Get It To Do A Specific Thing..."?
hi thanks for the reply. I downloaded the software, loaded it. set the global midi channel to ch 16, saved the profile. restarted my system, and loaded the software. but reaper is still receiving channel 1 midi from the nanoKeys2. I'm using it to trigger shortcuts on reaper.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
Cloudswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Yes, even though I can easily change the MIDI channel of my keyboards, I almost always leave them set to channel 1 and use the method DarkStar suggests.

Right-click on the record-arm button for the track. Under "Input: MIDI" go to "Map input to channel" and select the channel you want incoming MIDI mapped to.

There are actions for "Map selected tracks MIDI input to channel ...". You can create shortcut keys for them or add them to a toolbar, so that you can map the incoming MIDI faster than with the right-click method.
hey there thanks for the tips!

I'm using the NANOKEY2 to trigger shortcuts, so I need it to send midi on the global level and not the track level. Essentially have reaper recognise the nanokey 2 as midi channel 16. if that makes sense.

cheers!
Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
Cloudswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Hi,
Yes I have done, though I haven't loaded it up in months or years. I used the software to reprogramme a Nanokey and Nano Kontrol to different channels.
I just tested for you now and all the options were greyed out despite the NanoKontrol 2 being connected and working fine.

I followed this up by running this under administrator rights and the device appears.
So that's right click on the icon>Run as administrator.

Then it took a second to find the controller and the greyed out options were suddenly available.
my nanokey 2 shows up correctly when the Korg Kontrol editor is loaded, but I'm changing the midi channel to 16 is not reflected in reaper. :-(
Old 10-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
Cloudswim

lol fixed....

in Korg Kontrol Editor , just have to save changed settings to DATA, under the communications tab on the top menu.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #14
Softsynth

Quote:
lol fixed....

in Korg Kontrol Editor , just have to save changed settings to DATA, under the communications tab on the top menu.
Glad you got there.