Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
snatchman
Human being with feelings

Default MX-49 To Interface..?

Hello..As stated, I have the MX-49 and I want to connect it to Reaper.via USB..Can I do this but still make my interface the main in/out to Reaper..?..I'm under the impression if I connect, the MX-49 becomes my AD DA and not the interface..Is this correct..? Thanks..!
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
mschnell

Do you use ASIO ?
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #3
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Do you use ASIO ?
-Michael
Hello..Thanks for your reply..Yes,I use ASIO...
Old 06-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Hello..As stated, I have the MX-49 and I want to connect it to Reaper.via USB..Can I do this but still make my interface the main in/out to Reaper..?..I'm under the impression if I connect, the MX-49 becomes my AD DA and not the interface..Is this correct..? Thanks..!

That is not a problem.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:28 AM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Connect it to reaper to do what exactly? MIDI, audio, both? I'm not familiar with the MX49, but if you are talking about connecting it via USB to do audio, then yes, this may affect other audio devices and whether or not they are usable in reaper
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:25 AM   #6
Stella645

To use audio over USB you will need to use either WASAPI or ASIO4all driver.
These drivers allow you to aggregate multiple devices.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Hello..Thanks for your reply..Yes,I use ASIO...
ASIO only allows for a single interface. If multiple ASIO devices are installed, In Reaper preferences you can select the one that you want to use. This setting is supposed to persist.
Workkarounds loke ASIO4ALL might work but often don't.
AFAIK. there are only very few devices with native WASAPI drivers that allow for decently working aggregation (like on Mac). I did not see any yet.
(Multiple Midi devices is no problem.)

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
lunker

Adding to all the above information:

From what I can see, the MX-49 UBD can transmit both audio and MIDI. So you will need to choose either your Focusrite or the MX-49 as the audio interface (unless you aggregate them into one pseudo-interface as described above (which I do not recommend doing, unless you really need the extra audio inputs you get by combining them).

However, since both the Focusrite and the MX-49 have both audio/MIDI over USB, you can choose one of the interfaces as your audio interface, and either (or both) of the interfaces for MIDI. (Note that unlike audio interfaces, you can have multiple MIDI interfaces active in Reaper at the same time, and use the input/output of all of the them simultaneously).

So if you want to use the Focusrite as the audio interface, you will need to connect the MX-49 L/R outputs to it. Then you can use either the Focusrite as the MIDI device (by connecting the MX-49 MIDI ports to the Focusrite); or use the MX-49 USB as a MIDI-only device (with the audio going to the Focusrite). You can even use both devices for MIDI -- use the MX-49 USB for MX-49 MIDI, and connect another MIDI device to the Focusrite.

For example, I have 3 USB devices connected to Reaper that give me a total of 5 MIDI inputs:

* M-Audio ASIO + MIDI interface (1 MIDI device)
* M-Audio Axiom USB Keyboard (configured so that Reaper sees the keyboard as once MIDI device, and the 5-pin in/out ports as a separate MIDI device over the same USB connection)
* MOTU 2x2 MIDI USB hub (Reaper sees each in/out pair as a separate MIDI device)

My primary workstation synth is an old synth with no USB, so it has the audio L/R connected to the M-Audio ASIO, and the 5-pin MIDI connected to the MOTU. (I could have connected it to the MIDI ports on the ASIO interface, but the MOTU is closer to the synth, and thus required shorter cables than connecting it to the MIDI ports on the ASIO interface -- plus I have rack-mounted MIDI gear that is easier/closer to connect to the MIDI ports on the ASIO interface).

I hope this was somewhat helpful to you.

Last edited by lunker; 06-11-2019 at 07:52 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:

I assume you received a copy of the manual if not download the manual. The role Mx-49 plays in your system depends how you are going to configure it. It can be connect via USB cable or midi cable.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #10
snatchman

Hello everyone..Thanks for your replies..I'm just going to use the MX-49 to play MIDI and audio into the Focusrite via 2 channels of the L/R audio into the Focusrite..I already have it configured that way, I just don't have it connected to my computer via USB..I just want to be able to lock Reaper and the MX and be able to track using the MX's Appregiator, VSTi's,etc and MIDI channels..So,once I correctly set this up, I just use Reaper as usual as the master " recorder "..?..BTW, I will have to use the drivers from Steinberg for the MX 49...Thanks..!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
snatchman

Hello..BTW, for those that are using the MX, do I use the " to host" or "to device " outputs for the USB cable connection to computer..?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
Hello..BTW, for those that are using the MX, do I use the " to host" or "to device " outputs for the USB cable connection to computer..?
According to the MX49 owner's manual it's the 'TO HOST' one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha MX49/MX61 owner's manual
USB terminals:

There are two different types of USB terminals, and the rear panel of the instrument features both.

The USB [TO HOST] terminal is used to connect this instrument to the computer via a USB cable and allows you to transfer MIDI data and audio data between the devices.
For information about the Port handled by the instrument, refer to the “Reference Manual” PDF document.

The USB [TO DEVICE] terminal is used to connect this instrument to a USB flash memory via a USB cable. For details, see pages 23 and 31
Looks like in this case the [TO HOST] terminal also needs to be enabled via the MIDI IN/OUT parameter settings in the [UTILITY] button menu on the MX49 itself.

More details about the steps for connecting the MX49 to a computer can be found in the Reference Manual on pages 19-21: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/downloa...8_en_rm_b0.pdf

Last edited by solger; 06-15-2019 at 01:06 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote