Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Flouny
Human being with feelings

Default Advices for ex Cubase user

Hi everybody,

I'm a Sound Designer in Video Games and I'm from Cubase, but I'm trying to migrate to Reaper.
However I wanted to have some tips if possible, I know that everything is configurable and that you have to poke around to get to his ends.
But I am deadlocked for several points, I think it would be necessary to make macros for some features (which for me its essential in my workflow) asked to know:

- Invert the left click / drag and right click (so that I select with the left click and drag) and the time loop (right click and drag)

- Create the modification of the gain clip to the mousewheel, I have the impression that reaper does not take into account the mouse scroll up or down, wheel is wheel,
Basically (like cubase) I want once the object (the clip) selected I can mount its gain clip by scrolling the wheel up and down by scrolling down

- Apply fade in or out (fades) on several tracks selected at the same time (the equivalent of shift + fade on Pro tools and automatic on Cubase)

Thank you in advance for your answers !

I really want to invest myself on this Daw he looks really powerful.

Last edited by Flouny; 06-15-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Flouny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:31 AM   #2
Stella645

1. Not sure how or if time select with right drag is possible but you can set left click to select items in prefs/mouse modifiers.

2. Only in combination with a key command I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLfL3B3qi4

3. Ctrl/Alt modifier.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:38 AM   #3
juliansader

When starting with REAPER, one of first things you should do, is to make yourself a nice big cup of coffee, sit back, and browse through the Actions list as well as the mouse modifiers (Preferences -> Editing behavior -> Mouse modifiers). This will give you a good overview of all the editing actions available in a default installation.

Quote:
and the time loop
Important tip that many new users don't realize: REAPER's "time selection" and "loop region" are actually two different things. By default they are linked, but they can be unlinked: Actions -> Toggle loop points linked to time selection. By unlinking them, you can use the time selection for editing during playback without affecting the loop points.

Quote:
- Invert the left click / drag and right click (so that I select with the left click and drag) and the time loop (right click and drag)
Mouse modifiers:
Arrange view context: Right drag: Set to "Select time"
Track context: Left drag: Set to "Marquee select items"
Perhaps also do the same for Media item contexts.

However, in the long run it will be simpler to just get used to right-drag for selection, since REAPER uses it everywhere.

Quote:
I have the impression that reaper does not take into account the mouse scroll up or down, wheel is wheel,
Actions that are named "MIDI CC relative/mousewheel relative" should take into account mousewheel direction. You can also combine two actions into a simple script to get relative movement:
Code:
mousewheel = ({reaper.get_action_context()})[7]
if mousewheel > 0 then
    reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(UPcommandID, 0, 0)
else
    reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(DOWNcommandID, 0, 0)
end
or with a custom action:
Code:
Action: Skip next action if CC parameter <0/mid
-- Place your UP action here. Perhaps "Nudge items volume +1dB"
Action: Skip next action if CC parameter >=0/mid
-- Place your DOWN action here. Perhaps "Nudge items volume -1dB"

Quote:
- Apply fade in or out (fades) on several tracks selected at the same time (the equivalent of shift + fade on Pro tools and automatic on Cubase)
I don't know what exactly shift+fade does in ProTools, but there are numerous actions in the Actions list that apply fades to all selected items. Left-dragging the edge of a media item will also apply a fade to all selected items.
juliansader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
hopi

a script that could:

copy fades from selected item

and another that would:

apply that copy to all selected items

those two scripts would be nice to have around