Old 06-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Birdy
Human being with feelings

Default Help me solve this metronome problem!

I need to record some guitars for a 106 bpm section.
However, I can't use the pre-roll function since the previous section is 60 bpm slowing down to 50 over one bar, so the pre-roll metronome will count a speed slower than what I'm about to play.
Using count in instead of pre-roll will chop the beginning of my very first note, since Reaper does not record during count in.

How do I get a proper pre-roll/count in metronome that's both the right speed and won't chop off the very beginning of the recording?
Birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
foxAsteria

I think you'll have to temporarily add a bar or two. There are actions to insert and delete time based on time selection.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I think you'll have to temporarily add a bar or two. There are actions to insert and delete time based on time selection.
Yeah I know many workarounds for that issue
However I'm asking if there's a direct solution to this issue.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Yea not that I've seen, but I guess it should be possible with script, since there are a couple retroactive record scripts which record the buffer contents to disk when required. Maybe someone can scrips one to record during count-in.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:33 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

create a new track and insert a click source item at a point in time where you have the 106 bpm tempo. Extend the click source item to be a few bars longer than you'd need, then glue it to audio.

Now, disable snapping and nudge the glued click source item backwards (while zooming in) until you get the desired amount of hits before the tempo change. A "downbeat hit" of the click source item should appear exactly on the first downbeat where the tempo changes to 106 bpm.

Essentially, you make a glued click source item loom the desired amount of time (hits) into the previous section, exactly hitting the first downbeat of the new tempo section.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
create a new track and insert a click source item at a point in time where you have the 106 bpm tempo. Extend the click source item to be a few bars longer than you'd need, then glue it to audio.

Now, disable snapping and nudge the glued click source item backwards (while zooming in) until you get the desired amount of hits before the tempo change. A "downbeat hit" of the click source item should appear exactly on the first downbeat where the tempo changes to 106 bpm.

Essentially, you make a glued click source item loom the desired amount of time (hits) into the previous section, exactly hitting the first downbeat of the new tempo section.

I did not know you can insert a click item like that!
Thanks!
However, is there a way to make that click item follow my project click settings?
It's driving me crazy that the primary beat tone is higher than the secondary!
Old 06-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
I did not know you can insert a click item like that!
Thanks!
However, is there a way to make that click item follow my project click settings?
It's driving me crazy that the primary beat tone is higher than the secondary!
as long as you haven't glued it to audio, you can edit the click source item (move, trim, copy, etc.) and it will dynamically adjust to the grid, even if there are tempo or time signature changes. Only after glueing it, it will obviously get unflexible and loose its ability to reflect those dynamic changes.

If you double-click the click source item and then click on the "Properties" button, you can edit all of its parameters to your liking.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
as long as you haven't glued it to audio, you can edit the click source item (move, trim, copy, etc.) and it will dynamically adjust to the grid, even if there are tempo or time signature changes. Only after glueing it, it will obviously get unflexible and loose its ability to reflect those dynamic changes.

If you double-click the click source item and then click on the "Properties" button, you can edit all of its parameters to your liking.

Properties! That's exactly what I needed, problem solved!
Thank you!
Old 06-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
SonicAxiom

you're welcome