Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default Violin VST Recommendation?

Could someone please recommend a Violin VST that, using midi instructions, can
change articulation?

The String VSTs I have tried require manual transition of articulation. For example, if I have 'arco' going to 'pizz', it wont change unless I manually do so. Meanwhile Piano VSTs easily change articulations depending on midi instructions.

Quick edit: I was asked about budget and I am flexible - just want something good! Thanks for
the amazing answers so far!

Thank you!

Last edited by Misterbg3; 06-14-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: additional info
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Softsynth
Human being with feelings
 
Softsynth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,510
Default

What budget do you have for this?

https://professionalcomposers.com/best-solo-violin/

Maybe this for playability:
https://audiomodeling.com/solo-strings/swam-violin/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtJ44IZP1JE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eG0pIwiKbw

Last edited by Softsynth; 06-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
Tinus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Default

http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

This is a freebie. Read the installation instructions carefully. You must download both the wave files as well as the sfz files (the 'libs' folder goes in the same folder where all your library folders are (see image at installation instructions)) .

To make use of this library you need a plugin like Sforzando by Plogue (also free): https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

The string sounds you want (that can change articulation) have KS-C2/3/5/6 in their names. You can switch between articulations by pressing the slightly darker keys displayed on the keyboard of the sforzando plugin, and will be highlighted red if you select one.

Personally I like the sounds of this library a lot. For free it's hard to beat.
Tinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
Tinus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Default

That is amazing!
Tinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
Softsynth
Human being with feelings
 
Softsynth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
That is amazing!
If you like that and have NI Reaktor then you can download a free Reaktor ensemble called Serenade that is similar (physical modelling synth - not samples). Fun for free:


And:


And:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXjIw7WeRg

Last edited by Softsynth; 06-14-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Add Video
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
That is amazing!
Genuis' make me feel stupid. Damn impressive Violin. wow
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,724
Default

One of the best:
https://www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_violin
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan R÷mer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
This is my favorite. And it's only getting better with the next update
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,724
Default

Absolutely! Really looking forward to that update

There's really not much out there that can compete with it.
Everything else sounds extremely fake and synthy.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan R÷mer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,275
Default

They have a freebie

https://www.virharmonic.com/violin_freebie
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #11
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Thank you for these amazing recommendations. I sent an inquiry to AudioModeling about
the automatic changeability. Looking into the rest of them. I believe I either tried or inquired about the Hollywood set, but it did not support automatic transitions to Pizz. I will be looking into the others as well!
Swam sounds amazing.

Edit: The audio modeling videos are also very cool.

Last edited by Misterbg3; 06-14-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: additional response
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Thank you for the link!
I tried their free sample but it required manual change from and to Pizz and arco. So although it sounds nice I can't really use it.
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings
 
_Stevie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,724
Default

What do you mean, manual change? I don't know of any library that will change automatically from pizz to arco.
__________________
My Reascripts forum thread | My Reascripts on GitHub | Stephan R÷mer - film composer
If you wish to donate for my scripts: please consider an organization like: animal shelter, doctors without borders, UNICEF, etc...
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

This is a freebie. Read the installation instructions carefully. You must download both the wave files as well as the sfz files (the 'libs' folder goes in the same folder where all your library folders are (see image at installation instructions)) .

To make use of this library you need a plugin like Sforzando by Plogue (also free): https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

The string sounds you want (that can change articulation) have KS-C2/3/5/6 in their names. You can switch between articulations by pressing the slightly darker keys displayed on the keyboard of the sforzando plugin, and will be highlighted red if you select one.

Personally I like the sounds of this library a lot. For free it's hard to beat.
Tinus thank you for the recommendation. I am having a problem making it work. I have attached an image to reflect what I am seeing. I made several attempts and can't see what I am doing wrong.
I extracted the zip files (Including the WAVE and SFZ) to my programfilesX86 VSTs folder, where REAPER is instructed to fetch them. I then installed the SFZ Player, making sure all of its files ended up in the ProgramfilesX86 folder, and the VST ending up with the extracted zips. When I attempt to load a SFZ I get the error message in the image.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sfz_problem_img.pdf (151.0 KB, 22 views)
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
What do you mean, manual change? I don't know of any library that will change automatically from pizz to arco.
Thats what would be nice if I could find. I'd like to import a midi created from a notation software, in which there are instructions that require pizz in some places and arco in others. I was hoping there is a string VST out there capable of switching between them, just as the Windows midi player on my computer does.
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #16
peter5992
Human being with feelings
 
peter5992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 9,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbg3 View Post
Could someone please recommend a Violin VST that, using midi instructions, can
change articulation?

The String VSTs I have tried require manual transition of articulation. For example, if I have 'arco' going to 'pizz', it wont change unless I manually do so. Meanwhile Piano VSTs easily change articulations depending on midi instructions.

Quick edit: I was asked about budget and I am flexible - just want something good! Thanks for
the amazing answers so far!

Thank you!

Solo violin or ensemble?

And are you talking about a DAW like Reaper, or notation software like Sibelius?

And what is your budget? $100? $1,000?
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #17
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Solo violin or ensemble?

And are you talking about a DAW like Reaper, or notation software like Sibelius?

And what is your budget? $100? $1,000?
Hi peter,

I require Solo strings (Violin, Viola, and Cello).
I notate my scores on Sibelius and create midis that I import into Reaper.

I need a string VST that can understand the midi instruction to change from arco to pizz and back. One way I have seen this in a midi text file is as such: PrCh ch=1 p=45
(PrCh suggesting Program Change, and P=45, 45 means Pizzicato Strings. Currently, the VSTs I have tested do not accept or understand that value. They simply play whichever setting I select. So if I want spiccatto, I have to select it, if I want arco, I have to select it. I need it to infer from the midi which sound from its' library it needs to use.

My budget - I really need this thing. If it does what I need I would be willing to spend the $1000 on it.

Last edited by Misterbg3; 06-14-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #18
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbg3 View Post
Thats what would be nice if I could find. I'd like to import a midi created from a notation software, in which there are instructions that require pizz in some places and arco in others. I was hoping there is a string VST out there capable of switching between them, just as the Windows midi player on my computer does.
It's a bit of apples and oranges comparison, since in a MIDI file those are two completely different sounds switched via program change messages. Every orchestral library out there has a manual switch between arco and pizz, usually via keyswitch...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #19
Tinus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbg3 View Post
Tinus thank you for the recommendation. I am having a problem making it work. I have attached an image to reflect what I am seeing. I made several attempts and can't see what I am doing wrong.
I extracted the zip files (Including the WAVE and SFZ) to my programfilesX86 VSTs folder, where REAPER is instructed to fetch them. I then installed the SFZ Player, making sure all of its files ended up in the ProgramfilesX86 folder, and the VST ending up with the extracted zips. When I attempt to load a SFZ I get the error message in the image.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Maybe for convenience you should extract the zip file 'Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3-1-3-standard-scripts.zip' in your 'Documents' on your C:\ drive.

When you have done that, extract only the two folders named 'Documentation' and 'libs' from the 'Waves' zip file into the 'Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3' folder in your Documents (Eventually it will look like this: see attachment).

For the 'Performance Orchestra' (Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3-1-2-performance-scripts.zip) you just go into the zip file, go to the 'Strings' folder, select all the sfz files and extract them in
C:\Users\..\Documents\Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3\Strings (accept if it wants to overwrite files).
When you want to use these sounds, they will show up with '-PERF-' in their names.

The Sforzando plugin goes into your regular VST folder. It looks like you managed to do this just fine.
When you open the Sforzando plug, in the light-grey box that says 'instrument: empty', left-click and choose import. Then browse the specific file of the library that you have placed in Documents under the name Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3.

I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: png dir-listing.png (3.3 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Tinus; 06-15-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Tinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #20
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 7,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbg3 View Post
I need a string VST that can understand the midi instruction to change from arco to pizz and back.
AFAIU, there is no predefined "the midi instruction to change from arco to pizz and back", but this ("articulation switching") is usually done by "key switches" (i.e. dedicated notes you insert in the score). AFAIK, all decent software instruments provide this feature.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #21
Softsynth
Human being with feelings
 
Softsynth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbg3 View Post
...

I require Solo strings (Violin, Viola, and Cello).
I notate my scores on Sibelius and create midis that I import into Reaper.
You might also like this package from Embertone:
https://www.embertone.com/instruments/issbundle.php

Here is the $99 Embertone violin played on a Touchkeys enabled keyboard (like Roli Seaboard without the rubber, marketing and dedicated synth software):
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #22
Herr Nox
Human being with feelings
 
Herr Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Default

The best solo violin and cello I have ever tried were both from Chris Hein.

Violin:


Cello:


For everything else, there's Spitfire Audio.
__________________
BANDCAMP | YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK
Herr Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #23
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,311
Default

You gotta try Bohemian Violin, tho. Much much easier to use with much more soulful results.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #24
Mcgiver69
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 70
Default

I got this one and it's very good and cheap

https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...panion-Strings
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #25
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,906
Default

One of my favorites is the one called "Fiddle" in the World section of Kontakt. It's not for playing chords or legato stuff, and has some cool velocity switched slide to the note stuff.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #26
pbattersby
Human being with feelings
 
pbattersby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbg3 View Post
I extracted the zip files (Including the WAVE and SFZ) to my programfilesX86 VSTs folder
The problem is, you extracted each zip file into a differently named directory. Try again but unzip each .zip file to "Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3" When asked if you want to overwrite existing files/directories say yes.

You can install both the Performance and the Standard scripts if you like though I'll be surprised if you actually want both libraries. The Standard scripts are useful if you like to either use key switches to change articulations or you like to place different articulations on different tracks.

The Performance scripts are useful if you want the way you play to determine which articulation will be used. Slow and steady playing gives you the sustain patches, short and fast playing gives you staccato and anything in between gives you a smooth blend of sustain and staccato.

p.s. I realize the installation process it a little complicated but if I want to have a cross platform installation, and I want people to be able to download updated scripts without needing to re-download all the .wav files again, I'm stuck with this installation process.
__________________
Paul Battersby
Virtual Playing Orchestra v3.1.2 - free sample library @ http://virtualplaying.com

Last edited by pbattersby; 06-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
pbattersby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #27
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You gotta try Bohemian Violin, tho. Much much easier to use with much more soulful results.
I assume you are familiar with Reaticulate. I found the Bohemian violin there. If not, please disregard. but I am unable to get any sound from any patch I select. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Currently when I 'Add bank' I am unable to select any channels. Midi is enabled. Not sure what else to add except that my track (at the bottom left near Master track) Shows as if it is playing sound.
Additionally, When I go to the key switching page of Reaticulate, Some of the articulations 'blink' as if they are being used.
The sound works if I use a VST from my personal library.

Thanks alot.
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #28
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post
The problem is, you extracted each zip file into a differently named directory. Try again but unzip each .zip file to "Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3" When asked if you want to overwrite existing files/directories say yes.

You can install both the Performance and the Standard scripts if you like though I'll be surprised if you actually want both libraries. The Standard scripts are useful if you like to either use key switches to change articulations or you like to place different articulations on different tracks.

The Performance scripts are useful if you want the way you play to determine which articulation will be used. Slow and steady playing gives you the sustain patches, short and fast playing gives you staccato and anything in between gives you a smooth blend of sustain and staccato.

p.s. I realize the installation process it a little complicated but if I want to have a cross platform installation, and I want people to be able to download updated scripts without needing to re-download all the .wav files again, I'm stuck with this installation process.
Thank you very much,
Doing this fixed the problem!
This is definitely a convenient option. I am now looking into some other instrument sounds as well as using a key switching tool.
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #29
Misterbg3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
Maybe for convenience you should extract the zip file 'Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3-1-3-standard-scripts.zip' in your 'Documents' on your C:\ drive.

When you have done that, extract only the two folders named 'Documentation' and 'libs' from the 'Waves' zip file into the 'Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3' folder in your Documents (Eventually it will look like this: see attachment).

For the 'Performance Orchestra' (Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3-1-2-performance-scripts.zip) you just go into the zip file, go to the 'Strings' folder, select all the sfz files and extract them in
C:\Users\..\Documents\Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3\Strings (accept if it wants to overwrite files).
When you want to use these sounds, they will show up with '-PERF-' in their names.

The Sforzando plugin goes into your regular VST folder. It looks like you managed to do this just fine.
When you open the Sforzando plug, in the light-grey box that says 'instrument: empty', left-click and choose import. Then browse the specific file of the library that you have placed in Documents under the name Virtual-Playing-Orchestra3.

I hope this helps
Thanks alot!
Your comment as well as pbattersby's helped me fix the issue. It is definitely an interesting option and opened my eyes further to potentially using a Key Switcher in order to test different sounds.
Misterbg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #30
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbg3 View Post
I assume you are familiar with Reaticulate. I found the Bohemian violin there. If not, please disregard. but I am unable to get any sound from any patch I select. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Currently when I 'Add bank' I am unable to select any channels. Midi is enabled. Not sure what else to add except that my track (at the bottom left near Master track) Shows as if it is playing sound.
Additionally, When I go to the key switching page of Reaticulate, Some of the articulations 'blink' as if they are being used.
The sound works if I use a VST from my personal library.

Thanks alot.

I don't use Reaticulate, so can't help there, sorry.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.