Old 11-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default 4GB Raspberry Pi

A Linux media machine in my living room started smelling like something was on the verge of smoking, so I shut it down and confirmed the power supply was the source. I pulled the machine out and replaced it with my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running Raspbian with xfce. The Pi has all the music, videos, pics, and live/recorded HDTV functionality the full computer had and pulls it off without breaking a sweat.

This left me needing a replacement Raspberry Pi for general experimenting, so I decided to go for the 4GB model 4 in a kit with solid aluminum heat sink case, power, and memory card.

Should get it by next week and I'll be seeing what if anything can 4GB do for me in REAPER. ReaSamploMatic is about the only thing I can think of that will run on ARM and load samples. This is the kit I bought.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
BobF

It's soooooo CUTE!!!!
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
It's soooooo CUTE!!!!
Hehe, I already have one micro HDMI to HDMI cable and this kit comes with one, so I will have to try out it's new built-in dual monitor support. I only have a pair of 1080P monitors, but it supports dual 4k if you've got them.

I'm pretty blown away that the older 3 B+ Pi is filling a full computer's shoes so well as a multi-media machine, and it doesn't have the CPU vulnerabilities of the Intel based machine it replaced.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Xasman

Hi Glennbo,

Funny you should say that because I also just bought a raspberry pi4 (4GB version with a FLIRC aluminium heatsink case). Bought it for running Kodi as a media centre but couldn't resist buying 2 micro SD cards so I could have two OS's - one running Kodi in LibreELEC and another running raspbian to experiment with REAPER.

I've had it for about a week now but only just found the time to install REAPER on it. The first thing I noticed when running it was that REAPER won't output audio via the onboard audio outputs (selecting either ALSA or Pulse Audio in the Audio Prefs seems to make no difference. I tried both the HDMI audio and onboard jack outputs. They both work fine with other apps though.

Not sure what's going on there but haven't had time to do any tracking down. Will try it later with my RME Babyface which hopefully will work...

BTW...Kodi runs great!

Last edited by Xasman; 11-13-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Glennbo

Sounds eerily familiar. I've got an 8GB card with LibreElec and a 64GB card with Raspbian that also has Kodi, REAPER and an xfce desktop.

I cut the cord on cable four years ago and setup a Linux machine running MythTV as a backend server with a 90 mile HDTV antenna in the attic and 4 HDHomerun ethernet dual tuners. LibreElec or Raspbian after you tweak a few things runs Kodi very well and it acts like a MythTV frontend along with it's other media functions.

With the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I tried REAPER with my Behringer UMC1820 and it was able to playback a bass and guitar track while recording 4 tracks of acoustic drums, so I am confident that the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of memory, higher clock speed, Etc., will do even better.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #6
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Sounds eerily familiar. I've got an 8GB card with LibreElec and a 64GB card with Raspbian that also has Kodi, REAPER and an xfce desktop.

I cut the cord on cable four years ago and setup a Linux machine running MythTV as a backend server with a 90 mile HDTV antenna in the attic and 4 HDHomerun ethernet dual tuners. LibreElec or Raspbian after you tweak a few things runs Kodi very well and it acts like a MythTV frontend along with it's other media functions.

With the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ I tried REAPER with my Behringer UMC1820 and it was able to playback a bass and guitar track while recording 4 tracks of acoustic drums, so I am confident that the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of memory, higher clock speed, Etc., will do even better.
Hi ...

Was Raspbian the only absolute distro, you settled down to, or were there any other (more DAW suitable) distros, that you tried or would prefer / recommend ?

Were there any tweakings to be made regarding the (Raspbian) "realtime" installation ?

I have a Pi 3B+ myself and I'd like to try REAPER with it ...
Possibly using my TASCAM US-16x08 to try to record 16 tracks at once .

- BOne -
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
Hi ...

Was Raspbian the only absolute distro, you settled down to, or were there any other (more DAW suitable) distros, that you tried or would prefer / recommend ?

Were there any tweakings to be made regarding the (Raspbian) "realtime" installation ?

I have a Pi 3B+ myself and I'd like to try REAPER with it ...
Possibly using my TASCAM US-16x08 to try to record 16 tracks at once .

- BOne -
I tried Mate and one other distro, I can't remember which, but they both seemed sluggish to me, so I went back to Raspbian. I don't really like the desktop in Raspbian though so I found a how to article and replaced it with xfce which to me feels faster than the native Raspbian desktop.

As for recording with the Pi, I did most of the tweaks from this article on setting up Pianoteq, but these are mostly to get lower latency.

https://www.modartt.com//downloads/g...erryPi3_v3.pdf

I'm pretty confident that I could have recorded more than four tracks at once, it's just what my drums are setup for. If you aren't playing back anything and just wanting to record 16 tracks by themselves, you might be able to do that with no tweaks at all, but you will want whatever the fastest memory card you can get unless you are recording to an external USB drive or something. When I did my testing I was using a 64GB Samsung EVO SDHC card that was the same media I booted the Pi from.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
gennargiu

Great Raspberry pi 4 I have it and esperimental for music and audio production uses reaper 5 native experimental and new pre-release ardour 6 armhf version. This programs work good with rpi4. For system i used raspbian buster or fluxbox windows manager very light destop.

gennaro
Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Glennbo

Raspbian Buster is what I'll be trying initially, but I'll probably switch it to an xfce desktop like I had with my 3 B+ Pi.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
Glennbo

Got my 4GB Pi a few days ago and have been getting it setup. I'm liking the way I can switch between the composite video output and dual HDMI via the Raspbian config app. If I enable composite out, it wants to reboot and comes up in the fourth slot on my security system DVR. If I disable composite video it reboots and comes up on my dual HDMI displays.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-25-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:12 AM   #11
4duhwinnn

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/v...p?f=21&t=68153

This is about the Yoshimi synth dev making it work
on a Pi. Seems from the text, to be pretty fluent with
electronics, so might be a good resource if questions pop up
about the pi hardware, and related sundries.
Some might be new to Yoshimi, it's based on zynaddsubfx synth,
sounds are compatible, 16 part multi-timbral,
but the code branched off years ago, with some special new
capabilities added over time.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
Glennbo

Default Carla Pi

I decided to see if I could get Carla going, and all it takes to make that happen is to add KXStudio repositories to your Pi, do an apt update, install Carla and add it's .so location to REAPER's VST search paths. Then Carla Rack shows up in REAPER for ARM as a VSTi plugin where you can load SF2/SFZ files among other things.

Edit:

I hooked my Behringer UMC1820 and midi keyboard up to the Raspberry Pi and recorded this test piece of music with six instances of Carla hosting drums, bass, piano, guitar, organ, and tenor sax. REAPER vaporized on me multiple times, so I disabled the overclocking I was experimenting with. It still vaporized on me one more time after that, but seemed to be more stable. Here's the test.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13954809

Edit2:

I was running Carla stand alone as a SF2/SFZ host and it vaporized on me, so I suspect that it is what was vaporizing REAPER during my earlier testing.

-

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #13
s wave

here is is link to sunbox and moon box Raspberry pi synth:
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3733
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote