Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
himalaya
Human being with feelings

Default Render - choice of destination track

Feature:
An option to select a destination track in the 'Render to File' dialog window.

At present, the Output section has three entries:
Directory
File name
Render to

However, what I miss is being able to select a specific track for the bounced file(s). Hence I'd welcome a new entry:
'Destination' or for the 'Render To' entry to give us an option to quickly select a track.

It's not often that I need to select a particular track for the rendered files to go to, but there are projects when I do. I'm coming from Sonar which makes it very easy to do this. Simply, all I have to do is select a track from the 'Destination' drop down window in the 'Render to File' dialog ( 'Bounce to Track' in Sonar speak) and it's done.

Uses?

Lots. But for me it's mostly to do with sound design and placing particular files in specific tracks.

Here's a thread which has sparked this Feature Request:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86152

Thank you for reading and considering this feature. :-)
himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
MonkeyBars

+1.

I don't like new tracks being created by default every time I want to do a render of a section of the master.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
himalaya

Hi,

Back again with a repeated request for this feature.

It would be very helpful for the render dialog to also have this option:

Add rendered items to one track.

This track could be the first track used when the render process was started. This would really help in sample preparation projects, where I have several tracks (different samples) which need to be rendered to a single track, but I need all samples to render to one-single-track. Otherwise, what happens I end up with lots and lots of new tracks which makes collecting the single rendered files a time consuming process. If they were placed on one track instead, it would really help to save time.

In my current project I have 47 files to render, so that means 47 new tracks. Which means navigating a long project hunting for all files and copying them to one single track. This process should be done by the computer not me.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
himalaya

Back again,

Another project where I have 4 tracks and 3 hours of audio. It's 3 hours of small individual audio items (sampled instrument notes). Now I need to bounce the 4 items (one item per track, but there are HUNDREDS of these items to bounce!!) to one new track.
What happens is that Reaper keeps on adding new tracks as I go along, and this is just a big waste of time and it impedes the workflow. Now, I end up with a huge list of new tracks, and in a 3 hours project moving around will be a nightmare. One way to deal with it is to move a rendered file to my designated track after it's rendered, then delete the track...and keep doing it. A great PITA!

All I need is for Reaper to automatically render audio to a single designated track. A track designated by me in the render properties.

So, in the render dialog there could be an option (in addition to the existing options):

Option1: Add rendered items to one track
(Reaper adds all rendered items to a new first track below the others)

and

Option2: Add rendered items to USER SPECIFIED track
(so here I can input a track number and every subsequent render will go into that track).

This would be so helpful!
Thank you.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Render to file is not an option you're supposed to be using for what you want to do. That dialog is solely for rendering stuff to disk, not rendering to another track in the project.

You should use "Item: Render items to new take" action on all items you want to render, and then you can explode the rendered takes to a new track easily. Can even merge those two actions in a custom action, so you get the renders on a new track straight away.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
himalaya

Hmm, not following you...there is a specific option in the render dialog which allows me to render to disk (yes, that's what I want to do), and add the rendered items to new tracks, which is almost exactly what I want to do, except rather then have Reaper render to new track each time, I want to render to one and the same track each time, as I go along the time line rendering files from 4 tracks.

Besides I don't want to fuss around with the tracks that have the original audio.

Your suggested method does not work in my situation. Rendering items to new take, just doubles up the files in my tracks...?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
Your suggested method does not work in my situation. Rendering items to new take, just doubles up the files in my tracks...?
Why not try it? I also mentioned exploding the takes to a new track, which essentially gets you what you want - all the rendered items on a single new track. Actually, when exploding, you'd get the takes split on two tracks (one track with original items, one with the new rendered take), so you'd just remove the first track after that.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
himalaya

I did try it. I does not work. The question mark is there just to signal confusion. Maybe I don't understand what you are describing or you don't understand what I@m trying to achieve.

Also, I do not want to mess with the original tracks in any way. I do not want to remove anything, the original tracks and items have to stay put, untouched by anything. I also do not want to have two items on the same track, since it will lead to confusion with the audio processing I'm applying or just create clutter. A simple render to a user *designated* track, is what I need.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
MonkeyBars

Following with baited breath
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
himalaya

Must be only the two of us.

This feature would help most folks making samples, so it's a shame more of us sample-makers don't show up here with a vote 'for'.