Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Parameter Knobs v2

Problem to be solved
Parameter knobs are a great source of feedback, but they all look the same, except for a bit of text that needs to be displayed in small fonts.

There is no other characteristic to distinguish these knobs from each other.

In my case, I use parameter knobs as a quick overview to tell whether or not they are latched. They're not of much other use to me, because they are so hard to locate. I automate between 20 to 100 parameters in a track, and display as many as I can in a sidebar MCP layout as possible. It's one of the reasons I got a 1440p monitor, so I could display more, and I'm using the "Small" parameter knob images to do it.

Making the knobs on display easy to find is the goal of this request.

Request
Add distinguishing characteristics in the cheapest computational manner.
That's it. I had ideas, but they might not be as handy at this point.

Last edited by airon; 07-27-2017 at 09:45 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:48 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I completely agree that this is a problem. 100%. The more you use this Reaper feature (adding parameter knobs) the less useful that feature becomes, because each one you add reduces the digestibility of the whole.

However, my experience is that it is folly to suggest a means of solution, and even worse to do a visual mockup. And I used to do a lot of them. Finding the most appropriate solution is the developers' creative challenge, which is something they like, and having a mockup muddies the water over whether support for the FR is because people also face this problem (which adds weight to this being something that needs solving) or because they like the look of the mockup (which is fairly meaningless, since the solution most likely won't follow the mockup).

You also get unhelpful buggers saying they don't completely like the approach and/or the mockup. Bastards. Incidentally, I don't completely like the approach or the mockup
Old 07-26-2017, 03:59 AM   #3
EvilDragon

It does seem to me that tinting makes the most sense and is least computationally expensive. But along the way the font color should also be tinted/changed to match the tint color, perhaps?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
Fergler

I disagree with whitetie, mockups promote action. Picture says a thousand words. I personally didn't read any of the OP.

I see the picture, I agree, it is a vast improvement. Also agree with evildragon the text can tint too. I can understand not doing that in the mockup, that's a PITA photoshop job. ;p
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
ferropop

Could tint the associated plugin name as well, or the border of the insert, or a small tinted dot etc.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
ferropop

Also on the parameter subject, (maybe I'm missing something)... but when you use Parameter Modulation the only way to see which parameters are being modulated is one-by-one clicking on things and checking the Parameters drop-down and seeing if Modulation is checked. Is there another way? A list or something, just a central place to view all the parameters that are latched or modulated on a track?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I completely agree that this is a problem. 100%. The more you use this Reaper feature (adding parameter knobs) the less useful that feature becomes, because each one you add reduces the digestibility of the whole.

However, my experience is that it is folly to suggest a means of solution, and even worse to do a visual mockup. And I used to do a lot of them. Finding the most appropriate solution is the developers' creative challenge, which is something they like, and having a mockup muddies the water over whether support for the FR is because people also face this problem (which adds weight to this being something that needs solving) or because they like the look of the mockup (which is fairly meaningless, since the solution most likely won't follow the mockup).

You also get unhelpful buggers saying they don't completely like the approach and/or the mockup. Bastards. Incidentally, I don't completely like the approach or the mockup
That's a good point. Experience trumps all smarty-pants arguments. I'll make the images an optional click-through for now(changed the first post). Optional, could be this way, wouldn't need to be, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It does seem to me that tinting makes the most sense and is least computationally expensive. But along the way the font color should also be tinted/changed to match the tint color, perhaps?
That would defeat the indication of what automation state the parameters are in. For this very reason only the knobs themselves were suggested to be tinted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Also on the parameter subject, (maybe I'm missing something)... but when you use Parameter Modulation the only way to see which parameters are being modulated is one-by-one clicking on things and checking the Parameters drop-down and seeing if Modulation is checked. Is there another way? A list or something, just a central place to view all the parameters that are latched or modulated on a track?
Yes. The envelope window will indicate which parameter is modulated with the appearance of a checkbox next to the [MOD] button. Each parameter row has one such button.

This might be a good one to do a script on. MPL did a script called "mpl_List all MIDI OSC learn for current project.lua". Perhaps he or someone else can help to write a script that lists all the parameter modulations that are present in the current project. You should head over to the JS and Reascript forum section for that.

Last edited by airon; 07-26-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Yes. The envelope window will indicate which parameter is modulated with the appearance of a checkbox next to the [MOD] button. Each parameter row has one such button.
Thanks I didn't know this!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
BenK-msx

Not to be a party pooper but we were chatting about this in 2009 and so I suspect it to be something Devs aren't that fussed about!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
airon

As is so often the case we presented ready made solutions back then without describing the problem well enough.

I've just removed my idea for the solution just to get those guys to have more fun coming up with their own solution if possible. I'll throw in ideas once they get started with their own stuff, if I think it'll help.

Last edited by airon; 07-26-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
BenK-msx

tell devs to use lots of param knobs on tcp should do it!
i joke, hope good ideas flow and rise.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
Gianfini

+1 here
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote