Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-12-2024, 11:42 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Sample rate for Scarlett 2147 (2nd generation)

After getting my PC back from the technician (who tweaked some items because of audio glitches) I now see that my sample rate is set to 96000. I don't know if he did that.
Is that a correct setting, as I see in various videos people generally using 48000?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:56 AM   #2
ScuzzyEye

48k should be sufficient, especially if that's what you were using before. Running at 96k will double the amount of CPU usage for just about everything. Though, sample rate and buffer size are related. Doubling the rate will use half the ms of the same sized buffer. Said another way, 48k with a 128 sample buffer is the same as 96k with 256 samples. So maybe something you've been experiencing is related to sample rate, not just buffer size.

The only reason to use higher rates is if you're using non-linear effects that add harmonics and don't anti-alias well enough on their own. But since Reaper has FX/chain oversampling, you can spot over sample those yourself. Running the whole project at a higher rate is a "brute force" way of oversampling everything, whether it benefits or not.

Personally, I set the Project sample rate, in the Project settings. Rather than relying on the current hardware sample rate. That way, if I do have a project at a different, higher or lower, rate it gets set correctly when opening the file.
ScuzzyEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:36 PM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks a lot ScuzzyEye. I am almost sure it used to be 48k. Perhaps it changed when the driver was updated. The technician also said he had downloaded the driver again, as well as doing other driver updates and so on. I will see if the glitch now repeats itself. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:48 PM   #4
Burnsjethro

"Personally, I set the Project sample rate, in the Project settings. Rather than relying on the current hardware sample rate. That way, if I do have a project at a different, higher or lower, rate it gets set correctly when opening the file"

Not sure what you mean there. I should tick the sample rate box in project setting and set it at 48k?
Old 02-13-2024, 06:05 AM   #5
ScuzzyEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
Not sure what you mean there. I should tick the sample rate box in project setting and set it at 48k?
Yes. At least that's what I do, and I make it so that setting is saved as the default.

Setting it in global Reaper Preferences means that if you do end up changing that, re-opening a project will change the sampling rate of that project. That's never what I personally want. I want the sample rate to be stored with the project not with Reaper.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:30 AM   #6
Burnsjethro

Thanks very much for the advice.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:53 AM   #7
serr

The sample rate clock is like the motor in a tape deck. Those had different speeds too, FYI. This isn't supposed to be some cryptic nuts and bolts "computer setting". More matter of fact like the speed selector on a tape deck.

You should know where the control is like you know where the input selector control is on your AV receiver. And like that, even if you don't have need to change it much. So you don't have to call service to push a button for you and risk dishonest players taking advantage.

48k is a sweet spot for 99% of things as mentioned. Matches up with video frame rates better. Best for low latency settings for live sound work. Sample rate conversion is also transparent now and things can be converted as needed. Reaper will let you work with non-project sample rate audio and convert on the fly too. That takes CPU cycles mind you! So don't just leave things set to "I don't know?"
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:02 AM   #8
Burnsjethro

Thanks for your comments Serr. I am not sure what you mean by 'So don't just leave things set to "I don't know?'
Old 02-13-2024, 11:09 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Thanks for your comments Serr. I am not sure what you mean by 'So don't just leave things set to "I don't know?'
You could just import audio with multiple different sample rates into a project. And it might not be a big deal in a small project and that would be convenient. But in a larger project and where you might be running a few more heavyweight plugins, live conversions can easily shut you down with too much CPU needs! So don't think of this as a nuts and bolts thing to never learn - that's what I meant by don't set your sample rate control randomly because you aren't sure what that means. It's just the speed control for the "digital motor".
Old 02-13-2024, 11:11 AM   #10
Burnsjethro

So am I OK setting at 48K?
Old 02-13-2024, 11:28 AM   #11
ScuzzyEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You could just import audio with multiple different sample rates into a project.
That's the primary reason I want the sample rate stored in the project, not in Reaper.

If I'm recording audio, I want the project to always reflect the rate at which the audio contained in it was recorded. If I'm importing audio, say something from CD that's 44.1, I'll set the project rate to match. That way no matter what rate my interface might have been left at last, when I open a project it'll be changed to match the audio in it, so the audio doesn't have to be resampled.

But with mixed rates being imported, you're kinda out of luck. Unless you resample it before importing. (Which I use R8brain to do.)
Old 02-13-2024, 11:29 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
So am I OK setting at 48K?
For most things this would be ideal.