Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #81
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoman View Post
Wait ... are you saying you can use your Waves plugins in Linux?
Yes and no. This is embarrassing but I suppose having said X, I'll have to admit to Y..

I can't for the life of me get Waves Central running in wine. I've tried many different wine versions, including the wine-staging 2.21 mentioned in the LinVst readme file, I've installed the needed overrides and robocopy. I've tried both on the intel as well as on the nvidia gpu, etc. This is quite annoying as there are reports of people running it without problems :S It gets as far as creating the main windows and then nothing more.

What I did manage to install and run without any apparent problems was a warez version of Waves... <red face>

In fact this seems to be the pattern of several of the bigger plugin suits, the plugins work just fine, but the installation program creates problems.

Native Access also is causing problems. It gets as far as downloading an .iso or zip file and then it crashes, but you can install the plugins by manually mounting and installing the downloaded file. Though so far my NI stuff comes from Komplete8 and was installed from DVD.

IK multimedia, fabfilter, etc on the other hand both install and registers the plugins without any problems at all.

Like I mentioned I did get the melodyne plugin installed when I was on vacation a month or two ago. Just did some quick tests and it appeared to work fine, but I haven't used it yet in a bigger project. I do use wine-rt functionality which is a patch for wine I created ages ago, but the functionality is in wine-staging too, maybe this helps as it allows windows programs to set a high priority on a thread.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 AM   #82
Jack Winter

Maybe we should try to restrain ourselves a little bit regarding wine discussions in this thread as it is about native plugins?

From me a few final words on the subject though. A lot of windows plugins work and they work quite well, that said not at a level that is needed for professional work, if this is your case my recommendation is to either use the relatively few native plugins, or run OSX/Windows. Still my/our/the hope is that the linux plugin market will take off and a lot of plugins will be ported, or that we can create technical solutions that allow running windows plugins efficiently without any hassles.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 10-14-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #83
JamesPeters

Agreed! Back on the subject of native Linux plugins...

MrElwood's MotherComp JS plugin is great! I'd mentioned DynEQ previously on the thread but MotherComp is new.

JS plugins are filling a gap for native Linux plugins, at least with Reaper.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #84
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Agreed! Back on the subject of native Linux plugins...

MrElwood's MotherComp JS plugin is great! I'd mentioned DynEQ previously on the thread but MotherComp is new.

JS plugins are filling a gap for native Linux plugins, at least with Reaper.
I've only messed around with it for a few minutes, but I thought "Sky" from the same mrelwood JS plugins was pretty cool. That one does eat some clock cycles though I noticed.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #85
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I've only messed around with it for a few minutes, but I thought "Sky" from the same mrelwood JS plugins was pretty cool. That one does eat some clock cycles though I noticed.
Sky and MotherComp both do use more CPU than a lot of "leaner-CPU-usage" plugins. I'd say it's appropriate though if you compare CPU usage of MotherComp to other "character" compressors. It's worth the CPU overhead, and in context it's not an unreasonable amount.

As for Sky, I haven't tried it much yet. The amount of CPU it takes is no problem for me (even if it were double the current amount), since it's only going to be used in a single instance on the master.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #86
Glennbo

Quote:
Sky and MotherComp both do use more CPU than a lot of "leaner-CPU-usage" plugins. I'd say it's appropriate though if you compare CPU usage of MotherComp to other "character" compressors. It's worth the CPU overhead, and in context it's not an unreasonable amount.

As for Sky, I haven't tried it much yet. The amount of CPU it takes is no problem for me (even if it were double the current amount), since it's only going to be used in a single instance on the master.
Well, those plugins are intended for final mastering, but in making some rapid changes to the controls, it was using so much CPU that the audio started glitching, but settled down after I quit tweaking.

That said, when I started making the Sun rise in that plugin, a really nice edge started happening that was not like just adding high frequency EQ. I don't know what the algorithm is that's being used, but it caught my ear right away.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #87
JamesPeters

Quote:
Well, those plugins are intended for final mastering, but in making some rapid changes to the controls, it was using so much CPU that the audio started glitching, but settled down after I quit tweaking.
Since Sky is a limiter, it's something I'd only use on the master. MotherComp however is different; it's a compressor.

Some plugins' parameters can make glitching and it's not necessarily due to the CPU usage. It depends on the code, what a knob or slider is really doing.

Quote:
That said, when I started making the Sun rise in that plugin, a really nice edge started happening that was not like just adding high frequency EQ. I don't know what the algorithm is that's being used, but it caught my ear right away.
Code:
// Includes code from Tilt EQ by Liteon

I'm sure it's not just the Tilt EQ copied/pasted in there, but tilt EQ is quite useful so you might be appreciating its effect irrespective of anything else the plugin is doing. In that case, just use the Tilt EQ in Reaper on those tracks and save Sky for the master.

Plugins like tilt EQ, presence EQ, graphic EQ etc. can be some of the most useful plugins despite how overlooked they are. It's good to have a toolbox with a lot of different and seemingly simple tools.

Speaking of adding pleasing high end (and having a toolbox of useful plugins), you'd probably like Righteous4 by Airwindows. You have to learn how to use it first though (and the default settings are the worst possible ones).
Old 10-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #88
Glennbo

Quote:
Since Sky is a limiter, it's something I'd only use on the master. MotherComp however is different; it's a compressor.

Some plugins' parameters can make glitching and it's not necessarily due to the CPU usage. It depends on the code, what a knob or slider is really doing.

Code:
// Includes code from Tilt EQ by Liteon

I'm sure it's not just the Tilt EQ copied/pasted in there, but tilt EQ is quite useful so you might be appreciating its effect irrespective of anything else the plugin is doing. In that case, just use the Tilt EQ in Reaper on those tracks and save Sky for the master.

Plugins like tilt EQ, presence EQ, graphic EQ etc. can be some of the most useful plugins despite how overlooked they are. It's good to have a toolbox with a lot of different and seemingly simple tools.

Speaking of adding pleasing high end (and having a toolbox of useful plugins), you'd probably like Righteous4 by Airwindows. You have to learn how to use it first though (and the default settings are the worst possible ones).
I've got the Liteon JS plugins, but hadn't tried Tilt EQ yet. Definitely will though. I'm getting quite a collection of JS plugs that I don't seem to be finding time to try out. I guess that's a good thing though. It'll keep me busy now that colder weather is coming.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #89
gpunk_w

So does all this Steinberg acting like whiney little bitches over the VST2 SDK stuff mean that there will be no new native Linux VST ?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #90
4duhwinnn

I have 5 U-he vst3i and vst3 plugins in linux reaper at this time,
so I doubt moving away from vst2 means a hindrance to
the creation of more native linux plugins. Coders can
choose what they make, and what they use to make it.
Are there some specific issues or products you're concered with?
Cheers

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/lin...undware/newest

http://cdm.link/2017/03/steinberg-br...x-good-things/

https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=282

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209414

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 10-17-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: mow
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #91
gpunk_w

Nevermind, obviously mislead by people saying there is no native Linux VST3