Old 08-09-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
Primeval Mudd
Human being with feelings

Default The Attic of Jeremy Vine

The Attic of Jeremy Vine

A silly little song about British daytime television.

Background Burble

My Dad watches a lot of daytime television. While I was staying with him over Christmas 2021 the sentence 'Hunting bargain women loose in Jeremy Vine's attic' popped into my head. I built a silly little song around it, recorded it on my tablet in my Dad's spare room and uploaded it to YouTube and Facebook.

In late July 2022 I decided to spend an hour or so recording it properly with actual microphones and separate tracks for the vocal and guitar.

I got a little bit carried away.
  • One verse became four
  • One pre-chorus became three
  • One chorus became two
  • One middle-eight came out of nowhere

A simple vocal harmony track became multiple vocal harmony tracks, some parts of which have about two dozen takes in them.

A simple bass guitar part evolved from 'Root-Fifth-Root' into something which moves the song along and even includes funky octave bits.

The middle-eight gave birth to a kazoo solo which also became a kazoo intro. Approximately 40 kazoo layers were involved.

After spending a year or so focusing on electronic music it was quite a change to go back to writing, recording and producing a proper song with lyrics and a tune.

I'd not done that for quite a while and really enjoyed it.

I'm back at my Dad's for a bit without guitars, mics etc which forced me to stop changing it and actually get it mixed and uploaded.

After a day or so spent in KdenLive making the lyric video less dull it's finally out there for the world to ignore.

There is far too much compression on everything and it's probably a bit bass heavy but, ultimately, it's just a silly little song about daytime television.

Music recorded and mixed in Reaper
Video put together in KdenLive

Website | YouTube | Facebook | Soundcloud
Primeval Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:19 AM   #2
Reapology
Banned

Hey- LOL the lyrics.. heh very good. totally get it.
#IF it works_4_u_it_works_4_me.
Am not actually sure what genre,category or pigeon hole to place this,but it has a place.
Thanks4sharing.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:02 AM   #3
Iain

That made me smile. Daytime UK TV is rubbish, except when you sing about it. Great song.

www.iainpaterson.com
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:17 AM   #4
RobertP

Loved it!
You are right about the bass and I do think it's worth tightening up.

As an aside,I grew up in Waltham Abbey, Waltham Cross and Chehunt, went swimming in Edmonton Town Hall baths and poached the King George Resevoir. Hunted for bits of war detritus on the marshes outside the MOD 'bomb factory'.
The river Lee was where I got my 1 mile swimming certificate and was my childhood friend .
There's a song in that, somewhere in the attic of my mind....
Can't remember what I did last week but can remember that stuff

Last edited by RobertP; 08-10-2022 at 01:25 AM.
RobertP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:29 AM   #5
zeekat

That's catchy and oddly relatable. Do you have those slice-of-life pretend-documentary series with amateur actors really badly acting some scenes then give "interviews" to the camera about what just happened? I think at least Germany and France have those. Really bizarre how it made a career.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
That's catchy and oddly relatable. Do you have those slice-of-life pretend-documentary series with amateur actors really badly acting some scenes then give "interviews" to the camera about what just happened? I think at least Germany and France have those. Really bizarre how it made a career.
"Scripted reality"? - Yeah, that's big in the UK too
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:02 AM   #7
Cosmic

100% Quality.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #8
Primeval Mudd

Thanks folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapology View Post
Am not actually sure what genre,category or pigeon hole to place this,but it has a place.
I struggled with that too. Poppyfolkysatirewithabitofchazndave is a bit of a mouthful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Loved it!
You are right about the bass and I do think it's worth tightening up.
Cheers.

I suspect that having three instances of ReaXcomp on the Master, one of them after the limiter (oops!) and one of them using the glorious but utterly ridiculous Supersolid2 preset might have been a factor.

If there was a way to replace the audio on YouTube vids I'd have a go but as there isn't I'll leave it as is, though I might upload a mix with less bottom end to SoundCloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
As an aside,I grew up in Waltham Abbey, Waltham Cross and Chehunt, went swimming in Edmonton Town Hall baths and poached the King George Resevoir. Hunted for bits of war detritus on the marshes outside the MOD 'bomb factory'.
The river Lee was where I got my 1 mile swimming certificate and was my childhood friend .
There's a song in that, somewhere in the attic of my mind....
Can't remember what I did last week but can remember that stuff
He-he! I moved there about seven years ago and really like the place. To my, and pretty much everybody's, surprise I was elected to the Town and District councils three years ago. Not bad for a gay eco-lefty in a Tory heartland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Cheers for the YouTube sub.

I don't actually watch much daytime telly - none if I can avoid it - so will defer to Domzy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
"Scripted reality"? - Yeah, that's big in the UK too

Last edited by Primeval Mudd; 08-11-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
Poppyfolkysatirewithabitofchazndave is a bit of a mouthful.
^Lol- especially if chewing a fruit pastel..i know_u_know?

Quote:
I suspect that having three instances of ReaXcomp on the Master, one of them after the limiter (oops!)
^You did not seem_to_know that is no mistake in my production book..putting a limiter last in a master chain is a BIG nono here these days..limiters give haircuts..i like soft_top_waveforms.

Quote:
If there was a way to replace the audio on YouTube vids I'd have a go but
^Actually think there IS a way- check the video edit options there.

Quote:
I moved there about seven years ago and really like the place
Nice- not visited properly,but your not far from collier row..Now_u_know. (havering-atte-bower = find it nice to bike,walk n all that nice natural stuff)

Quote:
I don't actually watch much daytime telly
Thank f_ friday_4_that. U_saved_yourself!
Old 08-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
Primeval Mudd

Should anybody be interested, this is a recording of the song as it stood on 28th July, with a bit of live bass guitar.*

Pretty much everything was re-recorded after this and there were a few changes, most notably increasing the tempo from 80 bpm to 83 bpm.

* I got a bit addicted to playing this bass part, but that led to a few cool changes, including the 'Root - Fifth - Root' descending bit under 'Stuck with it' in the last verse. That was a pleasing last minute accident.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #11
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
^Actually think there IS a way- check the video edit options there.
!
Nope. You can only add audio from YouTube's library.

Argh!

Old 08-11-2022, 01:48 AM   #12
Reapology
Banned

Ahh yes- had to double check and that does seem a bit backward thinking..giving people tons of options,but the 1 they actually want!
Re_encoding should not take too long though if you consider it a priority.

Find the wordplay here interesting fitting the backing the way it does..it tells a story and has human emotion driving a message..you make it work.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:50 AM   #13
SmoothOperator

Nice, I don't watch TV so I don't know who this Vine character is, but it reminds me of the intro to Friends!

Seeing as how I don't watch TV, I like the reminder about how bad it is, "just bad"
SmoothOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #14
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
Ahh yes- had to double check and that does seem a bit backward thinking..giving people tons of options,but the 1 they actually want!
It's irritating but, given how simple it would be for them to implement, I suspect they're being careful to avoid the content of videos being drastically changed after publication. That shouldn't be an issue with the majority of content but there are a lot of ropey folk out there who could use the facility for nefarious reasons.

Quote:
Find the wordplay here interesting fitting the backing the way it does..it tells a story and has human emotion driving a message..you make it work.
Ta. The music was written to fit the original verse, pre-chorus and chorus I scribbled down while smoking a fag on my Dad's patio, as per the spare-bedroom recording here:

If the music had come first it's very, very unlikely that there'd be bars of 2/4, 7/8 and 11/8 in there. I didn't even realise I'd put them in until I came to do the guide-recording in Reaper and started tripping over the 4/4 metronome.

I had to count the syllables back from the end of,
Quote:
'It's a fish that has been left behind a radiator for a couple of weeks'
to figure out where to start the line.

Starting on the beat with the line as 'It's a fish that has been left behind a radiator for a week' would have been much more sensible!

I love this stuff. It stretches the brain in a most pleasing manner.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #15
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
Nice, I don't watch TV so I don't know who this Vine character is, but it reminds me of the intro to Friends!

Seeing as how I don't watch TV, I like the reminder about how bad it is, "just bad"
To be fair, Jeremy Vine is actually pretty sound. His daytime TV programme is a fairly lightweight current-affairs panel-with-a-phone-in job. The panel's usually along the lines of one left-wing journalist/commentator, one right-wing journalist/commentator and a random celebrity with varying degrees of awareness/understanding/intellect.

It's a bit like Question Time but with the benefit of there being no actual politicians and the panellists being allowed to exhibit a sense of humour.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #16
Jorgen

Pro work, well done indeed.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:30 AM   #17
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Pro work, well done indeed.
Cheers Jorgen.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #18
Primeval Mudd

This is very far from professional and not worth its own thread. 'Tis just a bit of silliness.

Diction Friction.

A verse & chorus worth of lyrics popped into my head a few months back. I recorded them over a basic Bm guitar but haven't been able to think of any decent lyrics to add to what I've got.

So I've popped those recorded tracks over a very early-80s sounding synth thing I've had kicking around.

You might just be be able to pick out the vocoder.

There's a hint of compression too.

Also, the whole thing is hogwash. I'm actually quite well-spoken.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #19
Frank Lee Scarlett

This is one of the most interesting and attention-holding songs I've heard here...or maybe anywhere.

As a Canadian, I love British humour (which is why I spell it with the "u") , and am familiar with some of the older shows like "Allo Allo", "Only Fools and Horses", and my all-time favourite show from any era or country "Pardon My Language". But I'm not familiar with Jeremey Vine. That didn't take away my enjoyment of this clever tune. Sounds really good, too.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #20
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
This is one of the most interesting and attention-holding songs I've heard here...or maybe anywhere.

As a Canadian, I love British humour (which is why I spell it with the "u") , and am familiar with some of the older shows like "Allo Allo", "Only Fools and Horses", and my all-time favourite show from any era or country "Pardon My Language". But I'm not familiar with Jeremey Vine. That didn't take away my enjoyment of this clever tune. Sounds really good, too.
Cripes, cheers Frank!

I mentioned Jeremy Vine in a comment a few posts back:

Quote:
To be fair, Jeremy Vine is actually pretty sound. His daytime TV programme is a fairly lightweight current-affairs panel-with-a-phone-in job. The panel's usually along the lines of one left-wing journalist/commentator, one right-wing journalist/commentator and a random celebrity with varying degrees of awareness/understanding/intellect.

It's a bit like Question Time but with the benefit of there being no actual politicians and the panellists being allowed to exhibit a sense of humour.