Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default 3-state toolbar button: made one before, can't remember how

At one point I made a toolbar button for a 3-state cycle action that would cycle through grid snap on, relative, and off. But it was so long ago and on a machine I no longer have access to, and I can't remember how I got it to work. I still have the cycle action script working, and have it assigned to a toolbar button, but the icon doesn't toggle through the different snap icons the way I had it set up before.

Does anyone know how to get a cycle action toolbar button to use 3 different states?
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhax View Post
At one point I made a toolbar button for a 3-state cycle action that would cycle through grid snap on, relative, and off. But it was so long ago and on a machine I no longer have access to, and I can't remember how I got it to work. I still have the cycle action script working, and have it assigned to a toolbar button, but the icon doesn't toggle through the different snap icons the way I had it set up before.

Does anyone know how to get a cycle action toolbar button to use 3 different states?
Hi earhax, I've never done what you're asking about here.

Can you get the cycle action to work without a toolbar? It just seems like if it's not cycling through, then maybe the action isn't quite complete yet. I could be wrong though.

As far as the toolbar icon is concerned, I don't know, all my toolbar icons have 3 stages, maybe that would work if the action is working properly.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #3
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi earhax, I've never done what you're asking about here.

Can you get the cycle action to work without a toolbar? It just seems like if it's not cycling through, then maybe the action isn't quite complete yet. I could be wrong though.

As far as the toolbar icon is concerned, I don't know, all my toolbar icons have 3 stages, maybe that would work if the action is working properly.
The cycle action works fine to cycle through the 3 grid snap states. Just can't figure out how I was able to get an icon that would cycle through grid, relative grid, and off. I am pretty sure I made a custom icon for it. Just can't remember how I implemented it. Hoping someone else has managed to figure this out too and can help me remember how.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
EpicSounds

IIRC it's a 4 or 5 part image instead of the normal 3.

off, hover, state 1, state 2, state 3
Old 06-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
earhax

I think to get this working I had to modify something in the package contents of the reaper.app on the Mac I was using at the time, replacing one of the built in icon set files. And although I exported all of the configuration files, I didn't save a copy of the reaper.app file. *sigh*

The main thing that has me stumped right now is which icon file I modified to get this working. I seem to remember it was the toolbar_relsnap_off.png file. Problem is I can't find this one anywhere - even in the app contents. A lot of the other icons are there, but not this one.

Is it possible that the icon filename shown when hovering over the icon in Reaper's "select toolbar icon" menu isn't the actual name for the file? If not, and this is actually the filename for the icon set, where does this file reside?

Old 06-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhax View Post
Is it possible that the icon filename shown when hovering over the icon in Reaper's "select toolbar icon" menu isn't the actual name for the file? If not, and this is actually the filename for the icon set, where does this file reside?
For me when I hoover over a toolbar icon, the subscript shows the action that's used for that toolbar button.

Have you tried opening the toolbar folder to see what's all there. To do that, once you find the main Reaper folder, the toolbar folder is in the "data/toolbar" folder.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
earhax

Okay I found the files for the toolbar_relsnap icon set. They're located inside the ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/ColorThemes/ folder in the Default_4.0.ReaperThemeZip and Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip files.

Now I just need to remember what I did to get the 3-state toolbar button working with the 3-state cycle action I have set up. The cycle action works fine. Just need to get the toolbar button to switch between 3 states properly. I think I may have used an SWS/S&M exclusive toggle the last time I did this, but can't remember that part yet. I'm pretty sure it involved editing one of the ini files, though, maybe the S&M.ini.