Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
ADDIKTION
Human being with feelings

Default Batch File Converter ideas

Hi guys,

I have been using the file batch converter extensively recently. A very powerful feature.

However it has a couple of missing features which made me lose a lot of time. Something I am not used to, with Reaper.
I believe there are a couple of easy wins to make this a very powerful feature.

1 - Bug: unable to overwrite files (forces user to rename with something like "$source_New" and rename later + delete originals)

2 - feature: recreate source folders/subfolders (a necessity in most batch processing scenarios)

3 - feature - use multi threading for parallel processing instead of sequential.
I was surprised to see my CPU used at 10% only. Processing thousands of files has taken some time, and it felt like there is some potential for improvements.

4 - feature - adding scripting features in addition to the fx chain.
Such as: run this script, run this action (normalising options especially, but also reverse item, etc), process trough this chain (or this track), etc.

That's already a lot to ask, I know. Just wanted to give some feedback and ideas.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
sonicartist

Default Great ideas here and much needed.

I love so much about Reaper but its Batch Processor definitely would benefit from Addiktion's suggestions.

I've been a sound designer for 25 years and as RAM and Storage has become significantly less expensive the size and number of the files used has greatly increased. For example, just one snare drum is represented by 10,000 samples when you factor in round robins, multi-track recording and all the articulations (center, rim shot, close rims, side stick, ghost notes, rim clicks, etc). Managing Batch Processed files with Reaper's current inability to Overwrite properly or even recreate the original folder/file structure is a major PITA. Using the Snare example, there are several sub folders each with hundreds of files. Workarounds are cumbersome and time consuming and should not be necessary.

I would add one feature to Batch Processing if it is not already implemented: Delay Compensation. When FX are applied within a project, Reaper maintains phase alignment/track timing by adjusting for the latency caused by any FX that are applied. If this is not being done in Batch Processing, phase alignment between the tracks is destroyed.

Hoping all these changes are implemented and Reaper becomes the standard for all Batch Processing.
sonicartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
gsbe

Agree on all fronts here and upvoted!

What do you currently use to apply these types of actions to batch process multiple files at once?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicartist View Post
I love so much about Reaper but its Batch Processor definitely would benefit from Addiktion's suggestions.

I've been a sound designer for 25 years and as RAM and Storage has become significantly less expensive the size and number of the files used has greatly increased. For example, just one snare drum is represented by 10,000 samples when you factor in round robins, multi-track recording and all the articulations (center, rim shot, close rims, side stick, ghost notes, rim clicks, etc). Managing Batch Processed files with Reaper's current inability to Overwrite properly or even recreate the original folder/file structure is a major PITA. Using the Snare example, there are several sub folders each with hundreds of files. Workarounds are cumbersome and time consuming and should not be necessary.

I would add one feature to Batch Processing if it is not already implemented: Delay Compensation. When FX are applied within a project, Reaper maintains phase alignment/track timing by adjusting for the latency caused by any FX that are applied. If this is not being done in Batch Processing, phase alignment between the tracks is destroyed.

Hoping all these changes are implemented and Reaper becomes the standard for all Batch Processing.
gsbe is offline   Reply With Quote