Old 02-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #361
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Very cool Lokasenna ... what does it do? (I don't know anything about scripts and scripting) Can I use it to e.g. change theme colors?
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #362
Lokasenna

It's an alternative to using toolbars or lots of keyboard shortcuts - you can put any of Reaper's actions (including scripts and stuff from SWS, etc) into it, and then there's only one shortcut key to worry about.

The idea is that, since many of us have certain actions we use frequently, making them faster to access will improve our workflow.

I'd make a tutorial video but I... um... don't know how.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #363
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
It's an alternative to using toolbars or lots of keyboard shortcuts - you can put any of Reaper's actions (including scripts and stuff from SWS, etc) into it, and then there's only one shortcut key to worry about.

The idea is that, since many of us have certain actions we use frequently, making them faster to access will improve our workflow.

I'd make a tutorial video but I... um... don't know how.
Cool ... thanks.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #364
Fabian

This looks very cool. VERY COOL!
Thanks.

One small thing.. should there not be a "Close" button in the middle on the top menu?

Here, when I have had my shortcut key depressed long enough, releasing it does not automatically close the menu, so I have to click the x in the top right hand window corner.

And yes, I do have the "When the shortcut key is released" option set to "Close the menu", but here that only works if the shortcut is released shortly after pressing it. If I press it long enough, the menu stays open when the key is released.

My shortcut is § as this is in the top left corner of Swedish keyboards.
(If it is of any use, Swedish keyboard layout is here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Sweden.svg.png)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #365
heda

Lokasenna you are crazy. in a super good way hehe
Congratulations! I really hope we can have transparency alpha map on the script windows soon in the API and all other API requests
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #366
Lokasenna

I'm adding 'quit' as a command in the next release.

However, if you have it set to "when the shortcut key is released, close the window", it should be closing the window. There's a chance that the script doesn't like foreign keyboards - does it work properly if you just use a letter key?

If you don't mind, could you install this script of mine: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1799848 , and use it to run Radial Menu? (You have to hit your shortcut key right after choosing Radial Menu for it to register). Let it run for a few seconds, let go of your key, close the window by hand if it doesn't close on its own, and then copy/paste the debug messages for me.

Please and thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #367
hopi

Loka... this looks amazing and I got the new version and I'm trying to do a simple set up of it to better learn how I can use it...

So the current problem is that when I hold the key for calling Radial [using F1] it comes up but sits there and flickers like mad on the screen and I can't really get to one of the action buttons I have set up.

It must be me but don't understand what I'm doine wrong.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #368
Lokasenna

Flickering is pretty much always an issue with the shortcut key - looks like it's not reading the F keys properly. I'll add that to my bug list.

Only the basic ASCII keys (so letters, numbers, and printable symbols) work at the moment, I think. Additionally, you can use modifiers but ONLY with letters.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #369
Lokasenna

I don't think it'll work with mouse bindings right now either. Added to the list...
Old 02-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #370
hopi

Quote:
Flickering is pretty much always an issue with the shortcut key - looks like it's not reading the F keys properly. I'll add that to my bug list.

Only the basic ASCII keys (so letters, numbers, and printable symbols) work at the moment, I think. Additionally, you can use modifiers but ONLY with letters.

Ok hmmm strange but confirmed that the F1 key flickers and Cntrl+R does not flicker...
Old 02-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #371
Lokasenna

- I have to figure out what key is being held down "by hand", pretty much - Reaper gives me the basic ASCII values, but Shift/Ctrl/Alt each modify that by a specify amount so I have to check for them separately.

- Shift+5 or Shift+] each have their own unique "offset" that I'd have to check for, whereas the letters are all modified by the same amount.

- As far as mouse buttons and F keys, I just never thought to check for them so it sees the code for F1: '26161' and just says "that's not a key", then closes, then opens again because you're still holding the key. Over and over and over.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #372
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
I don't think it'll work with mouse bindings right now either. Added to the list...
Working great with my mouse binding here. New version and setup are awesome! Thanks again.

One question: which line do I edit to change the amount of time the window stays open? On a previous version we edited:

if gfx.getchar() ~= -1 and (setup or key_down ~= 0 or (startup and diff < 0.34)) then
reaper.defer(Main)

Also- is there a away to get a "stop time" setting of lower than 5ms?

Another problem I'm having is that I'm triggering actions multiple times if my mouse goes on and then off of the button multiple times, could we have a setting that just executes the action once and immediately closes the window after it? Here is the current behaviour I'm describing: http://imgur.com/a/ltcoo

Last edited by Arthur McArthur; 02-25-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #373
hopi

Quote:
- I have to figure out what key is being held down "by hand", pretty much - Reaper gives me the basic ASCII values, but Shift/Ctrl/Alt each modify that by a specify amount so I have to check for them separately.

- Shift+5 or Shift+] each have their own unique "offset" that I'd have to check for, whereas the letters are all modified by the same amount.

- As far as mouse buttons and F keys, I just never thought to check for them so it sees the code for F1: '26161' and just says "that's not a key", then closes, then opens again because you're still holding the key. Over and over and over.

thanks for that explain... but geeez, 'the F1 is not a key'... how weird...
I mean, it can be used as a key binding for other action. Well, if anyone can solve it, it will be you I rest assured.... I have so many key bindings it is just nuts... and of course for Radial we don't want something like Control+7, eh? We'd prefer very easy to reach combos...
Old 02-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #374
declan32001

I'm a newb here, so please forgive my cluelessness.

I have Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua listed under Actions/Show Recent, I hit 1
and click on it loads, but I guess I don't have the Setup script or know what to do with it (https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...le%20menus.txt)?

This does look brilliant, so thanks in advance.
declan32001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #375
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
One question: which line do I edit to change the amount of time the window stays open? On a previous version we edited:

if gfx.getchar() ~= -1 and (setup or key_down ~= 0 or (startup and diff < 0.34)) then
reaper.defer(Main)

Also- is there a away to get a "stop time" setting of lower than 5ms?
Open up the Settings file and look for '["close_time"] = ___' - it's line 197 in mine, but that may not be the same for you. The value is in milliseconds, so 10 = 10ms, etc.

I'll remove the Setup script's minimum setting (currently 600ms) in the next update though.

Quote:
Another problem I'm having is that I'm triggering actions multiple times if my mouse goes on and then off of the button multiple times, could we have a setting that just executes the action once and immediately closes the window after it? Here is the current behaviour I'm describing: http://imgur.com/a/ltcoo
I've already got that setting on my To-Do list.

However, I don't understand the behavior you're seeing. It should only be running the action when you let go of the left mouse button.

- What do you have it bound to, on your mouse?
- Do you have the "hover" option turned on? What's the time set to?
- What mode are you using for "when the shortcut key is released..."?

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
thanks for that explain... but geeez, 'the F1 is not a key'... how weird...
I'm looking into now, and I'm actually not sure why the F keys don't work. I'll let you know.

Quote:
we don't want something like Control+7, eh? We'd prefer very easy to reach combos...
There are two Ctrl buttons on your keyboard.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #376
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by declan32001 View Post
I'm a newb here, so please forgive my cluelessness.

I have Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua listed under Actions/Show Recent, I hit 1
and click on it loads, but I guess I don't have the Setup script or know what to do with it (https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...le%20menus.txt)?

This does look brilliant, so thanks in advance.
If you installed it using ReaPack, you should have both scripts. If you installed it manually, make sure you grab BOTH of the scripts in the first post and put them in the same folder:

https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...ial%20Menu.lua
https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...nu%20Setup.lua

The third link is an example set of menus. Once you've got the Setup script, there's a button in the Options tab to import menus - click that, find the example file if you downloaded it, and you should see a basic set of actions ready to go.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #377
hopi

Quote:
There are two Ctrl buttons on your keyboard.
really? you have two? yeah I know, but for radial how nice it would be to just use a single key.... but then not sure what easy key I'd want to give up from another action
Old 02-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #378
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
really? you have two? yeah I know, but for radial how nice it would be to just use a single key.... but then not sure what easy key I'd want to give up from another action
I use D.

Well, technically D is assigned to "Run last ReaScript", but we all know what that's going to be.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #379
Lokasenna

So the F1 issue looks like it's on Reaper's side - the function that lets me ask "Is key ___ down?" doesn't respond to the F keys. Bug report here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=188496
Old 02-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #380
declan32001

Quote:
If you installed it using ReaPack, you should have both scripts. If you installed it manually, make sure you grab BOTH of the scripts in the first post and put them in the same folder:

https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...ial%20Menu.lua
https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...nu%20Setup.lua

The third link is an example set of menus. Once you've got the Setup script, there's a button in the Options tab to import menus - click that, find the example file if you downloaded it, and you should see a basic set of actions ready to go.
Thanks for the quick reply. I did install them using Reapack. In the Actions menu I'm showing Locasenna_Radial Menu.loa, Locasenna_Run last lua script in debug mode lua & Locasenna_Run lua script in debug mode lua.

The links you provided don't download for me, they open the .lua file. I tried to copy them and but I don't have an app that wouldn't save it as a .txt file.

I know I'm being ignorant here, so sorry. Should I re-install the Reapack?

Last edited by declan32001; 02-25-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #381
Lokasenna

I'm not sure what to say. I just tried reinstalling from ReaPack and all three of the correct files showed up. In Reaper/Scripts/ReaTeam Scripts/Various you should see:

Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua
Lokasenna_Radial Menu Setup.lua
Lokasenna_Radial Menu - example menus.txt

Maybe try ReaPack's "Synchronize packages" option? Not sure.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #382
Lokasenna

2.1 update.
Code:
New
- When opening a context menu, context is now displayed in the title bar
- Added a new button command: 'quit'
- If the menu is in 'keep the window open' mode, any keypress will close it

Fixes
- 'close_time' has had its minimum value reduced to 1ms
- Made the 'menu file not found' dialog a little clearer, hopefully
- Menu background now extends all the way to the bottom of the window
- 'Import menus' dialog now looks for .txt files rather than .lua
- Fixed a crash when using F1 to highlight the context boxes in Setup
Old 02-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #383
declan32001

Quote:
I'm not sure what to say. I just tried reinstalling from ReaPack and all three of the correct files showed up. In Reaper/Scripts/ReaTeam Scripts/Various you should see:

Thank you. I reinstalled and now I have Lokasenna_Radial Menu Setup.lua, but no Lokasenna_Radial Menu - example menus.txt. but I'm going to see what I can do.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:44 AM   #384
Rodal

Quote:

I couldn't figure out what to do either, first time i used the new menu.

Is there any reason why you dont just run the menu setup script the first time someone uses radial menus?
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 AM   #385
stereolost

Using Radial Menu on MacOS 10.8.4 in Reaper 5.34

"Hold the key" stuff doesn't work here. Script is opened with an assigned key and stays open until the key is pressed again. If i hold the key, it flickers. If i press the button with action assigned to it, script stays open.
Using normal keys like "Q" or "Ctrl+W" here, btw.

Also in color assignment it seems like Red and Blue are interchanged in all RGB which most of the time results in quite the opposite color )

Last edited by stereolost; 02-26-2017 at 03:17 AM.
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:18 AM   #386
Sexan

It would be helpful if you can run it with debug script from post #371 (to see whats up with keys)

One thing that got lost in transition to official release is double action triggering again (click and on release) the checking code is not working

Last edited by Sexan; 02-26-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:13 AM   #387
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereolost View Post
Using Radial Menu on MacOS 10.8.4 in Reaper 5.34

"Hold the key" stuff doesn't work here. Script is opened with an assigned key and stays open until the key is pressed again. If i hold the key, it flickers. If i press the button with action assigned to it, script stays open.
Using normal keys like "Q" or "Ctrl+W" here, btw.
Yeah there is a bug with this now on latest version 2.1 I'm getting it too, it seems its not following setup it always on open or close

Last edited by Sexan; 02-26-2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #388
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereolost View Post
Also in color assignment it seems like Red and Blue are interchanged in all RGB which most of the time results in quite the opposite color )
Oh no... don't tell me Mac uses backwards RGB values for their color picker...
Old 02-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #389
Sexan

Quote:
Odon't tell me Mac uses backwards RGB values for their color picker...
They use everything backwards (joking joking do not want to start a war here)

Lokasenna the double triggering is back when using click and key release,but first:
script wont work anymore on key hold, its always on or off
Old 02-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #390
Lokasenna

2.1.1 is up, the key issue should be fixed.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #391
Lokasenna

Alright, anyone with color issues...

1. Please download this script: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ker%20test.lua
(right-click, Save As, put it somewhere, use the Load button in Reaper's Action List to find it)
2. Run it and pick a color
3. See what the output messages say.

I've got two different functions in there for converting from "weird jumbly number" to a readable RGB value, so hopefully at least one of them is correct. On Win 8.1 I get the same result for both.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #392
Rodal

Quote:
2.1.1 is up, the key issue should be fixed.
I've updated and i see that the setup script has now gone. However when i press the key assigned to radial i get this message "Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua:4889: attempt to call a nil value (field 'BR_GetMouseCursorContext')".

How do i now run the setup to change whatever is causing this error message?
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #393
Sumalc

Quote:
Alright, anyone with color issues...

1. Please download this script: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ker%20test.lua
(right-click, Save As, put it somewhere, use the Load button in Reaper's Action List to find it)
2. Run it and pick a color
3. See what the output messages say.

I've got two different functions in there for converting from "weird jumbly number" to a readable RGB value, so hopefully at least one of them is correct. On Win 8.1 I get the same result for both.
Hello,
on Mac OS el capitan :
red :
Returned color: 16711680 Lokasenna RGB: 0 0 255 Native RGB: 255 0 0

blue :
Returned color: 255 Lokasenna RGB: 255 0 0 Native RGB: 0 0 255

green :
Returned color: 65280 Lokasenna RGB: 0 255 0 Native RGB: 0 255 0

Last edited by Sumalc; 02-26-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #394
Fabian

Quote:
I'm adding 'quit' as a command in the next release.

However, if you have it set to "when the shortcut key is released, close the window", it should be closing the window. There's a chance that the script doesn't like foreign keyboards - does it work properly if you just use a letter key?

If you don't mind, could you install this script of mine: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1799848 , and use it to run Radial Menu? (You have to hit your shortcut key right after choosing Radial Menu for it to register). Let it run for a few seconds, let go of your key, close the window by hand if it doesn't close on its own, and then copy/paste the debug messages for me.

Please and thanks.
It works differently if I assign say B as shortcut, yes. Then it closes when I release, irrespective of how long I have the key pressed.

I don't know if the following debug tells you anything, but here it is. I did cut out 145 occurrences of the first section there to keep it short. And of course, this used the §-key as shortcut (not B).

Code:
<check_mouse
>main loop
check_key
>check_mouse
<check_mouse
<main loop
>check_mouse

[145 occurances of the above]

<check_mouse
>main loop
check_key
>check_mouse
<check_mouse
<main loop
>check_mouse
mouse is now over button 7
<check_mouse
>main loop
check_key
>check_mouse
<check_mouse
<main loop
drawing menu
drawing... 7  7
i = -1
new i = -1
i = 0
new i = 0
	drawing button 0
seeing if we need to draw...
i = 1
new i = 1
	drawing button 1
i = 2
new i = 2
	drawing button 2
i = 3
new i = 3
	drawing button 3
i = 4
new i = 4
	drawing button 4
i = 5
new i = 5
	drawing button 5
i = 6
new i = 6
	drawing button 6
i = 7
new i = 7
	drawing button 7
looking up alias 'env'
	menu 0: nil
	menu 1: track
	menu 2: view
	menu 3: options
	menu 4: items
	menu 5: take
	menu 6: record
	menu 7: midi
	menu 8: env
got: 8
	menu 9: track auto
	menu 10: track env
	menu 11: take env
	menu 12: midi channel
	menu 13: record mode
	menu 14: record start
	menu 15: midi view
	menu 16: midi size
	menu 17: midi type
	menu 18: midi length
	menu 19: env sel shape
	menu 20: env def
	menu 21: 
	menu -1: nil
	drawing labels
	mnu_children = 8
finished drawing menu
Thanks for all the job implementing this great idea.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #395
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
It works differently if I assign say B as shortcut, yes. Then it closes when I release, irrespective of how long I have the key pressed.

I don't know if the following debug tells you anything, but here it is...

I suspect it's not working with foreign keys because of the same bug I've found with F1-12. Try this script:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20checker.lua

- Right-click, "Save As", put it somewhere, use the Load button in Reaper's action list to find it
- Run it
- Hold down your key for a second or two

1. What number does it give for "current char"?
2. Does "held?" ever say true for that button?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #396
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumalc View Post
Hello,
on Mac OS el capitan :
red :
Returned color: 16711680 Lokasenna RGB: 0 0 255 Native RGB: 255 0 0

blue :
Returned color: 255 Lokasenna RGB: 255 0 0 Native RGB: 0 0 255

green :
Returned color: 65280 Lokasenna RGB: 0 255 0 Native RGB: 0 255 0
That's what I thought; Mac returns the color as BGR for some reason. Good news is, the second function there is getting the right answer, so I'll switch to that for the next update.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #397
Lokasenna

The issue with F1 appears to be fixed in 5.40pre4. That may or may not also help with foreign keys.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #398
JackMenhorn

Default ReaPack issues

I also installed via ReaPack and I get the error saying I need to run the setup first, but I cannot find the setup.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 3.58.31 PM??.png (36.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #399
pcartwright

My apologies if this has already come up, but how would I designate if an action should be called from the Main_OnCommand function or the MIDI_OnCommand function?

For example, I want one of the menus to set the next MIDI note length to a quarter note (ID 41076 in the MIDI Editor Section), but when I select use the Radial I get the Batch File Converter dialogue (ID 41076 in the Main Section).
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #400
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMenhorn View Post
I also installed via ReaPack and I get the error saying I need to run the setup first, but I cannot find the setup.
Open the actions menu and filter by the word "setup" and you should see the action you need to run...

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote