Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
rondog
Human being with feelings

Default Problem when adding a Track and the time sequence

When I add additional tracks to a file the time sequence doesn't match the previous tracks. Am I recording incorrectly or is there a way to match the time sequences of the original tracks with the added track?
rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Stella645

Could you try explaining that differently...or in more detail.

What are you recording? ARe you monitoring the first track while you record the next one. Are you saying the recording is then out of time even though you played it in time? Is this audio or midi?
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
rondog

Thanks for the Response. I have recorded two tracks simultaneously, one for drums and one for guitar. Then I am adding a third track for vocals within the same project. Everything looks good (three tracks that seem to match time sequences), but when I play back the third added track is a little out of sequence.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
rondog

This is all audio recording.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Stella645

So it's just out of sync.....a little ahead or behind the beat?

What interface, what driver selected in Reaper?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
rondog

The third track is a little behind.

I think the interface is a Tascam, and I used the driver that was recommended. I am not at the studio right now, so I'm not sure. I can try to find out.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
rondog

Is there any way to talk directly with a Support person at Reaper?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
Stella645

It's not out of the question but Reaper is really a couple people...no support team, just the developers so I wouldn't count on it.

If you post some details once you're at the DAW I'm sure the forum can fix your problem.

Your interface model
o/s
which driver is selected in Reaper
Buffer settings
Whether you are direct monitoring or monitoring through Reaper.

Could be as simple as wrong driver selected.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
rondog

What is the DAW?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
rondog

Which driver should be selected?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Stella645

Digital Audio Workstation...in other words: Computer.

Hopefully you have a dedicated Tascam ASIO audio driver which is what should be selected.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
rondog

Thank you so much! I will try to determine the information you mentioned and then include it in my next Reply. Also, that you for your patient!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #13
rondog

Still trying to solve problem!

Interface Model: Tascam US 16 x 08

Computer (DAW): Windows Laptop. G6IT3KB9. 6 GB Ram

Operating System: Windows 10. 64-bit operating system x 64 based processor

Also, I believe the monitoring is through Reaper.

How can I determine:

1. Which driver is driver is selected in Reaper.
2. The buffer settings.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #14
Stella645

At top right corner in Reaper it shows the buffer size in samples along with sample rate bit depth etc. If you click on that text it also opens preferences for Audio devices where it shows the selected driver.

Try to work out how to use your interfaces direct monitoring to listen to the vocal when recording so you're not affected by latency (though I doubt this is the main problem)

One thing that is well known for causing delays on laptops is the wi-fi. Could be worth trying to disable it while recording if nothing else works.

Last edited by Stella645; 07-20-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
rondog

Up in the top right-hand corner of the Reaper page it indicates:

[44.1kHz 24bit WAV : 10/2ch 256spls ~6.8/15ms ASIO]
Old 07-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #16
Stella645

OK...so probably this is OK. Not a stupidly high setting. Just click on that text and check the driver is the Tascam ASIO driver.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
rondog

Audio Driver US-16x08 ASIO
Old 07-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
Stella645

Well you have correct driver, and settings are OK.

I would check if any updates for drivers and try disabling wi-fi adapter while recording.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #19
rondog

Tried updates and disconnected wi-fi, but same problem occurred? By the way, thank you for your kind assistance!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #20
rondog

Any other suggestions or sources that could help?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #21
rondog

Help! I am just a guitar player trying help out my friend with Parkinson's disease. He purchased the computer and Tascam interface, even though he has little knowledge of the technology. He can play a mean harmonica, sings, and is an excellent "in the pocket" drummer.

At this point I can record live, but I need to add the harmonica track to complete the project.

Is this a common issue?
Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #22
Stella645

I'd say wi-fi is still the no 1 suspect.

You can disconnect from your wi-fi without disabling the adapter. Only disabling will stop the adapter interfering with audio recording.

The best way to be sure it's done is to find it in Device manager and disable there.
But I think it should also work to open Windows Network and Sharing, Change Adapter options and right click, Disable.

Also go into the Reaper preferences again and under Audio/Recording make sure that "Use audio driver reported latency" hasn't been unticked.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #23
rondog

I have attempted all above recommendations. I even went back to a you-tube instructional video on the basics of recording additional tracks to verify the proper steps.

Would it make any sense for me to uninstall the Reaper program, and then go back and download it again? Do yon see any problem with trying that? Are there any other alternatives?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:17 AM   #24
Stella645

I doubt reinstalling Reaper is going to help. I have a feeling the issue is going to be something with the interface driver rather than the DAW specifically.

But to confirm this (or not) you could always try Cakewalk (was Sonar)...it's free now.
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
rondog

Is there a way to adjust the time sequence on the added track so as to match the previous track?

Is Cakewalk a different program?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #26
rondog

Would Cakewalk require a different driver and set up?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #27
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
When I add additional tracks to a file the time sequence doesn't match the previous tracks.

eya- just for clarity,your adding a pre-recorded audio item to an existing track right? .. so have you checked item settings: look for play rate: is that set to 1>?
if it's anything other than 1 then timing will be off..
if your adding by recording in the same project-- you may get an asio/interface delay on input--so--- zoom into the 1st transients/samples and make sure they line up correct..
any goods after them steps?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #28
rondog

I am trying to add a track by recording in the same project.

What do you mean by zoom into the 1st transient/samples, and how do I make by line up?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #29
Stella645

Before giving up and moving the item into time which is never the best solution (you always wonder if it could be better shifted a little one way or other).
Try to select WASAPI driver instead of ASIO in Reaper and see if it makes a difference.

Also make sure you are direct monitoring when recording (Reaper record monitor should not be switched on but you should hear the harmonica via the interface) so latency isn't messing up your timing.

Yes cakewalk is a different program.....you asked if there were alternatives so I gave one.
It would use the same ASIO driver as that is from the interface, not the software.

Transients are the attack of the percussive sounds that can show you where a beat is starting.
Once zoomed in you can see where they fall and so where you might want your part to start. Turn off snap and just drag the item into time. But this is a pain to do every time and you're never certain it's "as played" so try the other stuff first.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
What do you mean by zoom into the 1st transient/samples, and how do I make by line up?

ok- if it's a vocal or anything else just make sure the 1st word or phrase lines up with the 1st 'down beat' {1st beat}
grab any item and move into place if your having some type of delay at the start of your recordings--

if you use reaper's `peak display settings` you can expand waveform view (not actual vol) and goto the nearest zero crossing sample {there is a line in the middle of waveform showing zero db with options}
try learning reaper a little more before going to another programme i suggest because reaper does just fine here.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #31
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
ok- if it's a vocal or anything else just make sure the 1st word or phrase lines up with the 1st 'down beat' {1st beat}
grab any item and move into place if your having some type of delay at the start of your recordings--
Fixing recording delay by moving the audio should be last resort. Not being able to do basic overdubs in time is not my idea of doing just fine.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #32
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Fixing recording delay by moving the audio should be last resort. Not being able to do basic overdubs in time is not my idea of doing just fine.

heh- problem is when people go putting latency inducing fx and forget to make adjustments for them.. if it's a direct record no parallels or anything-user should be good-to-go without having to offset anything.
sometimes recordings need a human engineer to babysit them.

delay is a killer for itb.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #33
foxAsteria

Not sure if it's mentioned yet, but this will happen when you incorrectly use (or don't use) the "preserve PDC delayed monitoring" option. It's found by right-clicking the arm button for any track.

The rule is simple and I feel it should be automatic, but if you are recording anything where the monitored sound is being processed in Reaper (e.g. playing a VSTi with your MIDI keyboard or playing guitar through an fx chain), it needs to be on. If you are recording a guitar and monitoring through the amp, it needs to be off.

The reason for this is a bit strange, but basically it's a digital compensation for your brain's biological compensation when any audio delay is sensed (i.e. you will tend to play slightly early if there is some noticeable lag between playing and hearing a note).
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #34
rondog

I'm pretty disappointed ar this point! It shouldn't be this difficult . All I'm trying to accomplish is a simple overdub to an existing track.

I tried the WASAPI option, but the computer asked me to make adjustments to the setting that I don't understand.

I appreciate all of the suggestions that are being sent! It sucks that Reaper doesn't have better support. I need to be able to talk directly to someone knowledgeable, because this has become a frustrating waste of time. Does anyone have a phone number that could help?

I'll try the "preserve PDC delayed monitoring" option, but at this point.......
Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #35
rondog

I still have two audio tracks within a project that are not in sync. Can someone please give me a step by step explanation of how to match the time sequence for the two tracks? Thanks!
Old 07-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #36
ashcat_lt

Left-drag the one item that's out of time until it is in time. If you can't move it far enough because it bangs against 0, drag the left edge rightward until you can.

Or Alt+Left-drag somewhere near the beginning of the item where you get the <-> cursor in order to slip the contents of the item without moving the item itself.

Just do it by ear. There's no good way to say exactly how far it'll have to move, and it doesn't really have to "be right" so much as "sound good".

This shouldn't happen, and it would be nice to keep from having to do it every time, but to fix what you've got it's just a matter of sliding it around until it works well enough for your purposes.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #37
rondog

I am still confused. Everyone says this issue shouldn't be happening. Is this a common problem, or am I the only lucky one?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #38
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
I am still confused. Everyone says this issue shouldn't be happening. Is this a common problem, or am I the only lucky one?
i think it's still unclear what exactly is going on in your case. There are many options in Reaper & different ways of working.
Generally speaking, if you are set up correctly and follow the right procedures an overdub should be in time (depending on the performance, of course). If it's not, then something has gone wrong, but it's difficult to know for sure why this was.
Dragging the item should fix the immediate problem but if it continues to happen then you know there is a problem with your setup and you should look again at your configuration.
Have you tried recording any other overdubs to see if it's a consistent problem?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #39
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
and i would say it's fairly common to some degree, just that in most cases any teething problems get ironed out fairly quickly when you get to understand how the software / hardware works and the best way to set it up. (worth mentioning again that there are so many variables - interfaces, processors, hard drives etc. that most peoples scenarios are slightly different )
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #40
rondog

Thank you for the input! I have tried various times, and the problem with tracks out of sequence is consistent.

I am the first to acknowledge my limited experience with recording, but after verifying that the setup is correct (see previous comments above), and trying all of the suggestions that have come my way, what else is left for me to try?