Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Default How to place the TCP FX-list on the left/right side

*Important: This mod only works for themes based on the v6 default theme!

Edit 1: There is some info on how to apply this to older themes in post #12)
Edit 2: To add the fx-list to the left side use the code snippets from post #75 instead.

This is a step by step guide on how to mod a v6-based theme to place the TCP FX-list on the right side. If you have modded themes before this should be fairly easy (pasting two code snippets into the rtconfig), but I tried to explain it in a way so that everybody could do it. Be warned though that this mod will only add the functionality. To really make it look nice and blend in with your theme of choice, you'll have to edit some theme images.

If you're a user of the default v6 theme, you can save yourself the trouble as I have just uploaded an already modded version to the stash

Step 1: Unzipping the theme file

Reaper themes have the file extension ".ReaperConfigZip". This is essentially just a renamed zip file. If you rename your chosen theme file and place a dot before the zip (.ReaperConfig.Zip) you can extract it like you would do with any ordinary zip file. (On windows the extension might be hidden in some cases, not sure).

Somewhere inside the extracted zip content there should be two things, a file with the extension .ReaperTheme and a folder. If you place both of these in your ColorThemes directory, reaper will still be able to access and show the theme. (The ColorThemes directory contains all your themes and can be found via Options > Show Resource Path in explorer/finder.)

Might be helpful to watch this video by Kenny

Step 2: Editing the rtconfig file

Inside the folder of the previous step, locate a file named "rtconfig.txt". This file contains Walter code, which tells reaper where to place each theme element. Open this file in a text editor.

Step 3: Copy/paste code into the rtconfig

The tricky part about this step will be to find the exact place in the rtconfig where to paste our modified code into. As modders may have made changes to this file, the line of code might be different for each theme you try this on. But I will give you the exact line of code for the current default theme, as chances are that it will still be rather close to that in the theme of your choice.

Mod: Part 1

Find the line of code that says "macro calcTcpSecs scale" (default: line 203). A few lines below that there should be a line that starts with "set main_sec ......" (default: line 221). Insert a few empty lines below that (to make space) and then paste the following code snippet.

Code:

;**FTC MOD (part 1): FX-list on the right side**

; Length of FX-list section (default: 100)
	set fxparm_sec 100

; Maximum number of columns when not enough space (default: 2)
	set fxparm_num_columns 2

; FX height
	set fx_height 16 (default: 16)

; Right margin (default: 7)
	set fxparm_margin_r 7

set fxparm_sec * . scale
	set fx_height * . scale
	set fxparm_margin_r * . scale
	set main_sec - . fxparm_sec@w

;** END of mod**
In this snippet of code there's a few easy to change settings about the FX-list. I'd recommend you first leave this as is, and come back to it later if you want to try and adjust a few things. For example changing the line "set fxparm_sec 100" to "set fxparm_sec 200" will double the length of the FX-list.

Mod: Part 2

Find the line that says "macro drawTcp scale" (default: 289). A few (~100) lines below that there should be a line that says "endMacro" (default: line 373). Insert a few empty lines above that (to make space) and then paste the following code snippet.

Code:
        ;**FTC MOD (part 2): FX-list on the right side**

set fxparm_x  - tcp.size{0} fxparm_sec{0} 
	set fxparm_y - tcp_padding{1} scale 
	set fxparm_w - fxparm_sec{0} fxparm_margin_r{0}
	set fxparm_h - h * 2 fxparm_y{0}

set tcp.fxparm [fxparm_x{0} fxparm_y{0} fxparm_w{0} fxparm_h{0} 1 0 1 0]
	set tcp.fxparm ?meterRight{0} - tcp.fxparm  [meter_sec{2}]
	set tcp.fxparm mainCollapse{0}==1 [0] supercollapsed{0}==1 [0] 

set fxparm_min_w - / fxparm_w{0} fxparm_num_columns fxparm_margin_r
	set tcp.fxparm.font scale{0}==1.0 [01 fx_height{0} fxparm_min_w{0} fxparm_w{0} -1] 
	set tcp.fxparm.font	scale{0}==1.5 [06 fx_height{0} fxparm_min_w{0} fxparm_w{0} -4] 
	set tcp.fxparm.font	scale{0}==2.0 [11 fx_height{0} fxparm_min_w{0} fxparm_w{0} -6]

set tcp.fxparm.margin   + [0 0 0 0 0 0 0.5] * scale [3 0 3]

set tcp.fxembed - + + + [main_sec main_sec_last{0}] [tcp_padding] hideValues{0}==1 [0] + [0 values_sec{3}] [0 tcp_padding] \
		+ - - [0 0 main_sec] [0 0 tcp_padding{0}] [0 0 tcp_padding{0}] \
		- - - [0 0 0 main_sec] [0 0 0 main_sec_last{0}] [0 0 0 tcp_padding{1}] hideValues{0}==1 [0] + [0 0 0 values_sec] [0 0 0 tcp_padding{1}] \
		?labelFlip{0} [0 0 element_h{0}] [0]

set tcp.fxembed	+ . * scale [-4 2 2 -1]

;** END of mod**
Step 4: You're done, let's clean up

If you plan to keep modding the theme, you can leave the extracted stuff from Step 1 as is in your ColorThemes directory. To go back to a .ReaperConfigZip file, select the folder and the .ReaperTheme file, right click, and "zip" them together (depends on your OS how that works). After that you will have to rename the file extension again. Rename "whatever.zip" to "whatever.ReaperThemeZip" and you're done.

Step 5: It's functional, but it looks weird

Unfortunately there isn't a generic solution to this. You'll have to do some theming and edit the png images to make it look nice. The images are in the folder from step 1. I won't go into detail here, but I'd start with editing the image tcp_fxparm_fx_norm.png and go from there.. Good luck, have fun

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 12-23-2022 at 12:04 PM.
FeedTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
Pink Wool

Thank you so much for sharing this information! Much appreciated!

PW
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
gxray

Thank you for the info, much appreciated =)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
nikki5000

Does this work with all themes?
I tried to modify this theme https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2255/VGS_Dark.zip
but it didn‘t work as the config file doesn’t look like other config files
nikki5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:07 AM   #5
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki5000 View Post
Does this work with all themes?
I tried to modify this theme https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2255/VGS_Dark.zip
but it didn‘t work as the config file doesn’t look like other config files
Nope, only for themes based on the default v6 theme, as they all have similar config files.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #6
gxray

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Nope, only for themes based on the default v6 theme, as they all have similar config files.
It's not like it's the very first, giant, bolded line or anything right?

Maybe make it rainbow colored
Old 01-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
FeedTheCat

Hahaha Got to admit, the first thing that came to mind when reading the comment was to make it red
Old 01-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #8
nikki5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxray View Post
It's not like it's the very first, giant, bolded line or anything right?

Maybe make it rainbow colored
damn.. sorry guys
Old 02-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #9
nikki5000

edit: I figured it out, thanks

Last edited by nikki5000; 02-03-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
Colox

Very gracious.

Would it be possible to figure out and post the roughly same procedure, but for in a more generic application for themes which do not contain the v6 functionalities?

I made my own theme based on the "Classic 4.x" theme, and stripped down the rtconfig to its bare minimums and kept things very simple. So I can't use this, as is. It's the same for alot of other users too, I'm sure. I understand you cannot post this in a way which works for all and every theme. Naturally.

But would it perhaps be possibly to cook this down to the simplest possible formulation, to perhaps work - even just roughly - for themes with the most basic structure? I imagine that would potentially make it work for as many themes as possible, or at least make it easy for other people how to implement it into their own themes. Or are there simply too many dependencies for this to be feasible?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2021, 12:07 AM   #11
Stephane Morisse

Default Thanks

To you Feed the Cat. Much appreciated.
Stephane Morisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #12
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
Very gracious.

Would it be possible to figure out and post the roughly same procedure, but for in a more generic application for themes which do not contain the v6 functionalities?

I made my own theme based on the "Classic 4.x" theme, and stripped down the rtconfig to its bare minimums and kept things very simple. So I can't use this, as is. It's the same for alot of other users too, I'm sure. I understand you cannot post this in a way which works for all and every theme. Naturally.

But would it perhaps be possibly to cook this down to the simplest possible formulation, to perhaps work - even just roughly - for themes with the most basic structure? I imagine that would potentially make it work for as many themes as possible, or at least make it easy for other people how to implement it into their own themes. Or are there simply too many dependencies for this to be feasible?

Thanks
Hey Colox,

Every theme has its own unique code, so there really is no way around doing a bit of theming (messing around with the rtconfig WALTER).

If you're willing to do that, this might be good way to get started:

Find the tcp layout you that you want to modify in the rtconfig file. Find the line of the layout that says "set tcp.size [x .....]" and increase the first number (x) by 100. This should (in most themes) make extra space on the right side.

Now find the end of the tcp layout and paste this code snippet.

Code:
;**FTC MOD: FX-list on the right side**

set fxparm_len 100

set fxparm_num_columns 2

; FX height
set fx_height 18

set fxparm_margin_r 7

; Top margin (default: 7)
set fxparm_margin_t 4

set fxparm_x - tcp.size{0} fxparm_len{0}
set fxparm_y h>25 fxparm_margin_t
set fxparm_w - fxparm_len{0} fxparm_margin_r{0}

set tcp.fxparm.font  [01 fx_height{0} fxparm_min_w{0} fxparm_w{0} -1] 

set tcp.fxparm.margin    [3 0 3 0 0 0 0.5]

set fxembed_len  - fxparm_x{0} 16
set tcp.fxembed [8 80 fxembed_len{0} 0 0 0 1 1]

;** END of mod**
I tried this with an old paulie-based theme of mine. As you can see it somewhat works, but a lot of stuff broke and will have to be fixed/adjusted manually...

Old 02-07-2021, 04:45 AM   #13
Pink Wool

Quote:
Hey Colox,

Every theme has its own unique code, so there really is no way around doing a bit of theming (messing around with the rtconfig WALTER).

If you're willing to do that, this might be good way to get started:

Find the tcp layout you that you want to modify in the rtconfig file. Find the line of the layout that says "set tcp.size [x .....]" and increase the first number (x) by 100. This should (in most themes) make extra space on the right side.

Now find the end of the tcp layout and paste this code snippet.

Code:
;**FTC MOD: FX-list on the right side**

set fxparm_len 100

set fxparm_num_columns 2

; FX height
set fx_height 18

set fxparm_margin_r 7

; Top margin (default: 7)
set fxparm_margin_t 4

set fxparm_x - tcp.size{0} fxparm_len{0}
set fxparm_y h>25 fxparm_margin_t
set fxparm_w - fxparm_len{0} fxparm_margin_r{0}

set tcp.fxparm.font  [01 fx_height{0} fxparm_min_w{0} fxparm_w{0} -1] 

set tcp.fxparm.margin    [3 0 3 0 0 0 0.5]

set fxembed_len  - fxparm_x{0} 16
set tcp.fxembed [8 80 fxembed_len{0} 0 0 0 1 1]

;** END of mod**
I tried this with an old paulie-based theme of mine. As you can see it somewhat works, but a lot of stuff broke and will have to be fixed/adjusted manually...

This gives me hope that someone (anybody?) might add this function to the Instrument 3 theme which I've been using!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:16 AM   #14
X-Raym

Thx for the guide ! With the right instructions, it become easy :P

So it only works for v6 theme,
how hard is it to convert a v5 theme to v6 ?

I like MFXlist so far, but just curious... :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #15
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Thx for the guide ! With the right instructions, it become easy :P

So it only works for v6 theme,
how hard is it to convert a v5 theme to v6 ?

I like MFXlist so far, but just curious... :P
The easy way only works for themes based on the v6 default theme, like smooth, nova, clearview etc. You can do this to any theme ofc (like I described in the post above) but it will most likely involve some further messing with the theme Walter code to make it work nicely.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #16
gxray

I've managed to get this working, and with a few tweaks looking really nice in custom non-Default 6 theme. Thank you!! 🙏

Out of curiosity, do you have a guess on how hard would it be to have the area here circled in blue be where embedded TCP FX are placed? It's for saving vertical screen space, my monitor isn't huge so better to have long tracks than wide.

rtconfig.txt is here -- it's not very large (less than 250 lines):

https://pastebin.com/rXjLcd25
Old 02-09-2021, 05:42 AM   #17
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxray View Post
I've managed to get this working, and with a few tweaks looking really nice in custom non-Default 6 theme. Thank you!! 🙏

Out of curiosity, do you have a guess on how hard would it be to have the area here circled in blue be where embedded TCP FX are placed? It's for saving vertical screen space, my monitor isn't huge so better to have long tracks than wide.

rtconfig.txt is here -- it's not very large (less than 250 lines):

https://pastebin.com/rXjLcd25
Really doesn't look hard at first glance. Try messing with the length of these elements, then adjust the x. (set tcp.volume [x y length height .....])
Old 02-10-2021, 06:27 AM   #18
gxray

Quote:
Really doesn't look hard at first glance. Try messing with the length of these elements, then adjust the x. (set tcp.volume [x y length height .....])
Understood. I spent ~2 hours on this yesterday and managed to get it... eh... ��

WALTER's left/top/right/bottom | 0/0.5/1 attachment system I think I don't fully understand yet.
WALTER isn't so easy, ha.

I got the rough general design for what I wanted, but the track size had to be large for the TCP FX embed to start appearing. Couldn't figure out how to change this, and how to anchor things exactly right.

I know that what I am trying to do IS possible, because LCS has an Albert "Protools" mod, and one other person has a Protools mod, which has the TCP laid out in a very similar way.

If I was a practical person I would probably just use one of these themes. But damn are they not my style

Maybe can try to just copy-paste the "rtconfig.txt" and see how broken it makes current theme?

PRO X-TOOLS GOLD ED LCS

ProTools 12.5_F_Edit_V5-mawi mod

Old 02-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #19
X-Raym

@gxray
Wanna try on X-Raym Analog ?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #20
X-Raym

I am also trying to implement this in my theme

It is a bit easier than I though to have the basis, though the fine tuning and pixel placement have to be carefully crafted so that to be elegant

For infos, where can we see infos about these parameters values ?

for eg, fxparm_len isn't documented there: https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php#commands

Thx!
Old 03-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #21
grandfougue

Very cool but not very user frienly lol
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #22
grandfougue

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
Very cool but not very user frienly lol
Im using commala 5 2016 dont find the line for corrspondance
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:59 AM   #23
FeedTheCat

Quote:
I am also trying to implement this in my theme

It is a bit easier than I though to have the basis, though the fine tuning and pixel placement have to be carefully crafted so that to be elegant

For infos, where can we see infos about these parameters values ?

for eg, fxparm_len isn't documented there: https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php#commands

Thx!
fxparm_len is just an arbitrary variable name in the context of this snippet.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #24
vsgrt

Is there a way to always show 2 columns, not only when the first column is full?

I have this idea that it would help with legibility a bit, instead of the zig-zaging between 1 and 2 columns depending on inserts, but i can't figure out the code.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:57 AM   #25
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
Is there a way to always show 2 columns, not only when the first column is full?

I have this idea that it would help with legibility a bit, instead of the zig-zaging between 1 and 2 columns depending on inserts, but i can't figure out the code.
Hmmm, if I understand you correctly that's not possible. You can't show two empty slots, the second one appears once the first one is filled.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #26
vsgrt

Quote:
Hmmm, if I understand you correctly that's not possible. You can't show two empty slots, the second one appears once the first one is filled.
I see, thanks for letting me know.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #27
kod

Thanks for this, it really helps!

I wonder if it's possible to disable the option to insert a new FX from the tcp. I have the empty slot's icon hidden (it looked weird in my theme and I don't really need it), but it's still active and I often click on it accidentally. Ideas?
kod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #28
X-Raym

Is there a way to tell "If FX/sends in TCP is activated then"... ?

EDIT: it seems it is
Code:
?tcp_fxparms
(also, it seems the code has been updated... what does it do better ?)

Last edited by X-Raym; 04-25-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:04 AM   #29
X-Raym

Oh, and the code snippet above missed master TCP settings :P
Old 04-25-2021, 04:30 AM   #30
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
Thanks for this, it really helps!

I wonder if it's possible to disable the option to insert a new FX from the tcp. I have the empty slot's icon hidden (it looked weird in my theme and I don't really need it), but it's still active and I often click on it accidentally. Ideas?
Can't think of a good way to achieve that. Maybe it's possible to make the fx area dynamically smaller based on how many fx are shown, but I'm guessing a hack like this would have a lot of downsides to it.

Quote:
Is there a way to tell "If FX/sends in TCP is activated then"... ?
The walter value "tcp_params" is set to 1 or higher when "Show FX inserts in TCP" is active.

So you could do something like this (hide label when no fx inserts are shown):

set tcp.label tcp_fxparms==0 [0]

Doesn't seem to work the same for sends though...

Quote:
(also, it seems the code has been updated... what does it do better ?)
Hmmm, I don't recall changing the code. I edited the first post at some point to mention post #12 for a solution that works with v5(and earlier) themes.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:32 AM   #31
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Oh, and the code snippet above missed master TCP settings :P
Oops yeah, forgot about that as I never use it
Old 04-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #32
X-Raym

The image part is quite tricky!!

EDIT: How can we have FX params bigger than sends as in default theme ?

Last edited by X-Raym; 04-26-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #33
X-Raym

is set tcp.fxembedheader.color actually working ?

I tried

Code:
set tcp.fxembedheader.color ?track_selected [0 0 0] [255 255 255]

no success. Just stay white.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:12 AM   #34
FeedTheCat

Quote:
The image part is quite tricky!!

EDIT: How can we have FX params bigger than sends as in default theme ?
Hmm, not sure that is possible for TCP atm. For MCP you have

set mcp.fxlist.font [4 height]
set mcp.sendlist.font [4 height]
set mcp.fxparm.font [4 height]

so you can set the height separately. I think in TCP all elements get the same height from:

set tcp.fxparm.font [4 height]

Quote:
is set tcp.fxembedheader.color actually working ?

I tried

Code:
set tcp.fxembedheader.color ?track_selected [0 0 0] [255 255 255]

no success. Just stay white.
Works here:

set tcp.fxembedheader.color [250 250 30]

Old 04-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #35
X-Raym

@FeedTheCat
It is [0 0 0] which doesn't seem to work, it put black instead of white

---

EDIT: BTW, I have almost finished to edit my theme, so all these questions will actually lead to somewhere :P
Old 04-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #36
X-Raym

Another weird unexpected thing I found on this FX list styling:
You can't change the FX param embed, cause it is in fact link to another parameter (fader background when automation playing), even if it has no automation. Weird...

Old 04-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #37
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Well now that is a bug
Old 04-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #38
X-Raym

@FeedTheCat
So it is official: My X-Raym Analog theme has been updated is now part of the right-side TCP FX slot game ! 😎Many thx for the help!!
Old 05-07-2021, 01:41 AM   #39
dupont

Is this trick still Ok for Reaper 6.28, I can't get fx on the right side on OSX ?
Fx are still at the bottom of the TCP !

Last edited by dupont; 05-07-2021 at 01:51 AM.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:37 AM   #40
X-Raym

@dupont
It is theme dependent. You have to use a theme which has this layout.

This include at least FeedTheCat themes, one logic theme... and mine now :P