Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Ferret King
Human being with feelings

Default External HDD for Laptop?

Did a search here and there and found mixed opinions...so sorry for the stupid question in advance...

What happened was my PC at home went kaput. But I have my quadcore fast machine at another location with all my plugs/Vstis etc. What I want to do is (and have done actually) the rhythm track for each different session on that computer and put them on my flash drive (one rhythm stereo track per song). I have Reaper on my laptop and works very well...installed my interface etc etc...
When at home, I want to record the guitar tracks. My laptop is USB only and I have heard people having mixed reviews about USB. I was considering possibly getting the Glyph 50 (7200 rpm and just enough space I'd need if more) just for the guitar track. What are your guy's suggestions?

The Glyph is perfect for my budget. The thing is is that I will only be using two tracks maximum...one to play back the rhythm while I track one guitar track. No plug-ins, amp sims or anything...just a raw track. Then bring that to the other PC for mixdown.

Would this setup seem even remotely possible? What are your alternate recommendations?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
funkster1

Shouldn't pose any problem. Even a slow USB-HDD will cope fine with just two stereo tracks.

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
superhawk

Any recommendations for a USB external hard drive enclosure for old hard drives? I have several old drives I want to use as backups.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Ferret King

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Shouldn't pose any problem. Even a slow USB-HDD will cope fine with just two stereo tracks.

Raphael
Thanks for the reply. By slow do you mean 5400 instead of 7200? (They're much cheaper) but not sure in this particular instance.

@Superhawk: this might be an option for me as well...I do have an extra (internal) HDD I could use (I'm very new to the external HDD thing )
Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhawk View Post
Any recommendations for a USB external hard drive enclosure for old hard drives? I have several old drives I want to use as backups.
I've got a couple of these and like them a lot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817173042.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
Sibben

A question on this subject. I recently switched to laptop and I'm looking at external storage solutions for recording. I will probably store all audio files on the external drive so it'll be more than two stereo tracks in this scenario. Is eSATA sufficiently good for audio work? I also have a Firewire port so maybe that's a possibility too? It being a Jmicron Firewire port I'm assuming hooking up an interface there is asking for trouble. It's kind of sitting there begging for something to be connected.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
bluzkat

eSata will give you the same speed as an internal drive (more throughput than either FW or USB).

If your system doesn't have an eSata port...

laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839200006.

PC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815283005.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
eSata will give you the same speed as an internal drive (more throughput than either FW or USB).

If your system doesn't have an eSata port...

laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839200006.

PC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815283005.

Cool. I was considering one of these as I have a spare HDD after upgrading to SSD.

http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tp...del=AK-ENP2NSX
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
Cool. I was considering one of these as I have a spare HDD after upgrading to SSD.

http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tp...del=AK-ENP2NSX
This case is for 2.5" hard drive (laptop), not sure that's what you wanted. I believe you need one for a 3.5" hard drive.

That style of case will work alright (I've used similar before), just be sure it gets lots of ventilation (no fan).

Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret King View Post
Thanks for the reply. By slow do you mean 5400 instead of 7200? (They're much cheaper) but not sure in this particular instance.
I would think he meant USB=slow. If you're going to connect a drive via the USB port, then the drive itself being 5400 or 7200 rpm make no difference whatsoever.

For example when I hook up my external drive through eSata I get 105 MB/s transfer speed(tested with HDtune), the same drive in the same case drops to 23 MB/s when hooked through USB2 and get 32 MB/s through Firewire.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
This case is for 2.5" hard drive (laptop), not sure that's what you wanted. I believe you need one for a 3.5" hard drive.

That style of case will work alright (I've used similar before), just be sure it gets lots of ventilation (no fan).

Cool to know you've sucessfully used it. It's a spare 2.5" I have. Right now I have it in a USB case but I'll upgrade to an eSATA case instead. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Ferret King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
I would think he meant USB=slow. If you're going to connect a drive via the USB port, then the drive itself being 5400 or 7200 rpm make no difference whatsoever.

For example when I hook up my external drive through eSata I get 105 MB/s transfer speed(tested with HDtune), the same drive in the same case drops to 23 MB/s when hooked through USB2 and get 32 MB/s through Firewire.
Good to know, my friend! Thank you...eSata upgrade it is.