Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
howardmarks
Human being with feelings

Default Metronome problem

Hi, ive started recording some music recently using the onboard reaper metronome, quite a few of my tunes, slow down gradually the last 30 seconds or so to crawl or sudden stop, so say if the song starts at 130bpm for the last moments of the song it will gradually slow to around 110 bpm but obviously as im listening through headphones the metronome is still going at 130bpm and ive tried ignoring it as i start slowing down but its near impossible! Does anyone have any idea of how to get round this? Im on my own so there is no one round to physically switch the metronome off at the right time, thanks
Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
Bazzbass

My highly sophisticated method:

Setup a metronome app on your phone, mic it up into a spare channel, when you need to stop the 130 beat metronome, KICK the mic stand over.
That's if you are tracking with headphones

That's all I got, I'm still trying to work out how to have a count in without the metronome being on after the start
Old 10-11-2018, 03:16 AM   #3
martifingers

Why not record a click track and stop it at the appropriate point?
But Bazzbass's solution is ace!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
howardmarks

Default Metronome solutions

Cheers lads, i think the second option is a little more practical! I never thought to record a click then cut it where i want to slow down,i record guitar first and then bass so once i have those down then i can add drums and thats the main foundation sorted,i did find this , i cant actually open it on this tablet im searching on but im assuming " user defined metronome " means you can do exactly what i required, the reaper metronome should have this functionality really, im guessing its a common problem, thanks https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7042288
Old 10-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
domzy

you can switch the metronome on/off with a marker if you want to do so at a particular point in the track, or you can use - Insert / Click source - and your metronome will become a track in your project, which you can use wherever necessary
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
vdubreeze

If you highlight a track's area and "insert click source" you get the metronome on a track. Then you can have your way with it.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
howardmarks

Niceone cheers
Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Beemysch

Maybe too late, but here is the way I would do it:

Just add a random drum pattern as a cklick track via EZDrummer, cutting out the areas I don´t want to hear anything...

Greetings
Beemysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #9
Random Noise

Default NO METRONOME WHEN USING ASIO4ALL2

I'm currently evaluating the latest version of Reaper on a Windows 10 64bit PC running a Core I7 with a Xonar D2 card. There's an ASIO setting for Xonar and an ASIO4All2 setting.

ASIO4ALL2 has less noise in the background than the Xonar ASIO, but I'm having trouble getting the metronome to play when using ASIO4All2.

When I use the Xonar ASIO, the click is there and works like it should, but there's EM interference coming through from inside the Xonar ASIO pathway. It's faint but bothersome.

When ASIO4ALL2 is selected the EM noise is substantially reduced, and I can hear the instruments fine, but no metronome sound.

As soon as I switch it back to the Xonar ASIO setting, I get the metronome and the instrument ( and the extra noise ). What is the trick to getting the metronome to play nice with ASIO4All2? Anybody?

UPDATE: I don't know what I did, but it started working.
UPDATE: Didn't change anything and it stopped working again.
UPDATE: Uninstalled ASIO4ALL and assigned it to the Xonar card's ASIO.
UPDATE: Rerouted the PC input from the media out on the board to the amp's tape record out.
RESULT: About the same level of EM noise as before.

DETAIL: The EM is coming from inside the PC. For example I use a corded optical mouse and you can hear the signals from it as it moves plus some other background noises. These noises are also there when Reaper isn't being used, but when ASIO4ALL was being used, they were at a lower level. When I start Reaper it is immediately noticeable in the background. However it's also below the threshold of normal human detection when there's sound being recorded or played at the same time. Something like a noise gate would get rid of it when recording, so I'm going to see if there's anything like that in the plugins that will work.

UPDATE: BTW I also tried to get WASAPI to work and it simply refused to start the sound service. This may be a limitation of the Xonar D2 card. I don't know. So far the only settings that work with everything as they should is with Xonar ASIO selected. There's some other little trickier settings that me as a newbie am discovering that may be helpful to others as well ( like the pan mode options ).

Last edited by Random Noise; 04-08-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Random Noise is offline   Reply With Quote