Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
the all new rob
Human being with feelings

Default 2.46 (and maybe 2.45) has reaninjam issues

We figured this out today, downgrading to 2.42 makes it go away, but excessive clicking and popping get sent in 2.46. More than about two people in a server and it's unbearable. More than 4 and it seems to all fall apart.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
pljones

OK, so it's definitely not just me. Agreed, it was "there" in 2.45 but 2.46 makes my CPU hit 90+% as soon as playback starts.

<edit>OK, 2.42 it drops to around 50% and goes up by around 15% when I drum - but I still get CPU spikes and glitches. I'll try an earlier version...</edit>

<edit2>Going back to 2.301 got me down to 30% with fewer spikes. I'll stick with that for now.</edit2>

<edit3>
For info, my PC is:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2800 2.08GHz
RAM: 2Gb
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2
Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Atlantis
Soundcard: Echo MiaMIDI (with dead MIDI)
MIDI IO: Edirol UM-1ex USB
Evolution MK-249[2] USB
USB Mouse
PS/2 Keyboard
</edit3>

Last edited by pljones; 09-06-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: even more info
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
dinoc

Default Yep, it happen to me as well

Yep, I saw this (issue I think)too.
I'm using reaper version 2.46.
Reaper got unresponsive after a while.
At first I thought it was one of the many vst plugins I usually load in reaper .
So I removed them all except for reaninjam since I was connected in a ninjam session. Also, the cool "performance meter" showed quite a lot of cpu use in the track which had the reaninjam plugin loaded.
Haven't test it with with version 2.45.
I'll try with 2.44
dinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Can you guys work through (Binary searching or whatnot) the versions and see what version(s) have a big performance decrease? Thankee...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
the all new rob

Sure thing. Thanks for your attention to this.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
the all new rob

Concise answer: 2.45 is the first version with the bug.

Quick description of the setup I used to test this:

I put ninjam server on my email peecee. I installed REAPER on my two kids peecees. From those two plus my DAW, I connected to the server over my 100Mbps switched network in the house. So bandwidth is not a consideration.

I created a minimal project on each box, two tracks: ReaNINJAM on track 1, JS:Synthesis/tonegenerator on track 2. Track 2 is routed to 1, and master parent send unchecked, just like my typical NINJAM template. I sent two local channels from each machine, each fed from stereo1/2 (the test tone). All meters show what I expected to see. I can post the .rpp if it's useful.

Following are screenshots of perf meter as I ran through and reinstalled older versions of REAPER on all boxes in the test setup:

2.46: my DAW reports CPU 6.3-40.6%. Crackling makes it unbearable to listen to the signal.

2.45 my DAW reports CPU 6.3-37.5%. Crackling makes it unbearable to listen to the signal.

2.44 it's cured. But I had to get the last 2.45 machine out of the room first. my DAW reports CPU 3.9-22.7%, with the ReaNINJAM track consistently reporting below 1.5%.

The FX CPU number is markedly lower in 2.44. But all machines in the room have to be on 2.44 for that to be true. The screenshots don't show maximum values for FX CPU in the cases where it's high. That number was flying all over the place.

Justin, thanks again for looking at this. I'm very impressed with how easy it was to put up a test lab full of reapers--I only spent 45 minutes or so getting this data together thanks to how quick this program is to install and download.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
pljones

Lovely work Rob -- and tends to prove what I guess we'd been starting to suspect but was impossible to test "in the wild" regarding any rogue box causing problems for all clients.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #8
the all new rob

Yeah, this was hard to figure out because the effects are cumulative--as more people enter your channel with buggy versions, the noise and disruption gets worse. And you can be running a version not impacted by the bug, but still get it if others in the channel were running a buggy one.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

This is very strange ...

OK so here's a build to test with 2.45 (or 2.46 or 2.47alphaX):

http://landoleet.org/reaninjam_fix.zip

(Extract to your plugins\FX directory to replace the reaninjam.dll there).

If it fixes with 2.45+, then woohoo!

If it doesn't, can you guys try testing it with 2.44, and try testing the 2.45 reaninjam.dll with 2.44, the 2.44 reaninjam.dll with 2.45, and so on too?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Justin
Administrator

err nm that fix won't work. I think I have it figured out now...

What you can do, however, is use reaper_ogg.dll from 2.44 in 2.45+ and it should fix. I'll see if I can fix this for 2.47+