Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #161
Anton9
Human being with feelings

Shramm,

As far as I know there is no way to automate Scale/Chord changes, I wish there were. Maybe put in a FR for it. One thing I just thought of that would be cool is the ability to assign scale/chord changes to markers, then you could just place a marker in the time line where ever you wanted it to change.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #162
Shramm

I just have seen some not bad idea about chords:
[img]http://img842.**************/img842/8572/8f34832ef9cb42f99d87c5b.png[/img]
Shramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #163
ebtihal

Default Automatable key changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
Is it possible to automate the key/scale changes?
I've been reading through this who thread an others, wondering why no one was bothered by this omission. At least this one person was.
I find it weird that Reaper expects one key signature/scale/key/chord whatever it's called to be sufficient for the duration of the song. Does everyone write songs in one key only? Even pop music changes keys from verse to chorus a lot these days, much less classical and jazz, etc. Would also help with exporting files to notation software that is dependent on key signatures (I know key sig info is saveable to .mid files, it's in the code). Why is it that we can't have it as an event that is automatable?
Not whining so much as just curious.
ebtihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #164
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtihal View Post
I've been reading through this who thread an others, wondering why no one was bothered by this omission. At least this one person was.
I find it weird that Reaper expects one key signature/scale/key/chord whatever it's called to be sufficient for the duration of the song. Does everyone write songs in one key only? Even pop music changes keys from verse to chorus a lot these days, much less classical and jazz, etc. Would also help with exporting files to notation software that is dependent on key signatures (I know key sig info is saveable to .mid files, it's in the code). Why is it that we can't have it as an event that is automatable?
Not whining so much as just curious.
quite agree
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #165
Shramm

err... guys, any news?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #166
MusoBob

In Cubase Chord Track you just enter the chords and key scale change at any bar or beat.
You can then get the midi to "Follow Chord Track" by: Auto, Chords, Scales, Roots, Voicing or Single Voice.
In the Piano Roll you can choose "Event Colors" > Chord Track
this will give you green or blue to say if the note is in the Chord being played or in the current scale.
So as you manually move the notes they will turn red if not in the scale or chord.
The Chord selection is just a drop down menu much like EZKeys.
See Image http://badjohnnyblues.com/images/Cub...hord-Track.jpg
This might be the way to go and do the same with color in ReaTune.

It would work better than this way: http://badjohnnyblues.com/images/Reaper_ChordTrack.mp4
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #167
krahosk

+1 to the above!
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #168
beyond

Default beyond Patterns

I have this dream tool for me implemented for Reaper over the years. I call it "beyond Patterns".

There is a Lead Track that detects Chords Realtime and sends its analysis to Following Pattern tracks. The following tracks transform their MIDI Patterns to match the Chords, Scale, Transposition, Dynamics and Register Shift of the Lead.

It is like a professional version of those arranger keyboards where you control layers of arpeggiation, a whole orchestra, or a band with the chords you play, except the song patterns are easily editable and arrangeable in Reaper as regular MIDI Clips (relative to C Major 7th), the transformations are more dynamic and more capable, and you can use the best of the virtual instruments available.

Adjunct to this project is a Librarian based on beyond.Reaper with a browsable library of Patterns and Track FX Chain Instrument files to bring into Reaper, to version and to share across projects.

While I am busy having a lot of fun with it, and it is boosting our songwriting and production, I am considering sharing these tools. Some time needs to be put into making some public templates and tutorial videos... If there is sufficient interest, and perhaps some good help offered on tutorials, documentation and installation, the decision will be easier.
beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #169
MusoBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
I have this dream tool. . .
That would be great thanks. I saw a thread with someone using Temper: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30916
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #170
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennect View Post
Just tried new "snap to key" feature in real action.

What is uncomfortable is that every time you create a new item, it always has "snap to key" off and "C Major" selected by default. Even when you duplicate an old item. Glueing also destroys it. But usually you want most of the items to be in the same key! So you need to setup snapping again and again.

I suggest either making key snap a global setting or maybe a per-project setting. It is most simple and intuitive solution, but it may be bad for drum parts and modulations (not really that bad, I believe).

Or if you really want to keep it per-item, it should at least inherit the setting from previous (created? opened? edited?) item when you creating a new one. But I don't like this alternative. It's frustrating when you open a project without key-snap set (projects from old versions for example). Or when you collaborate with someone who doesn't want to use this feature. And it is overall complicated. Imagine a situation when you want to change a key in a half-completed project with tens of items! This really makes this simple useful feature not so useful

I really want it to be just a global or per-project setting.
I might have missed this part since its early development but, as rennect has said in the above post, I have the same problem of setting the proper key in each and every MIDI item over and over again.

Is there a setting somewhere which "remembers" the predefined/preffered key snap in every opened MIDI item throughout the whole project? =/

Cheers,
Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #171
MusoBob

I not sure what this was all about as I came here some years back,
but if anyone is interested I created ReaTrak project here
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212645

There's MIDI snap to scale, MIDI snap to chords, they use mpl scripts modified,
it writes the key/scale to the item name prefix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3wse_7G6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhzFCIH6VxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmcxWugh52Q