Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 12-12-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Default VLC decoder bug dropes last frames of video clips

Hi,

I experienced something weird about replaying videos in Reaper and VLC. In the last days I created some noise and particle loops in Blender to share them here but for some reason those loops played only fine in Blender or as jpgraw video files but not in VLC or Reaper. It seemed Blender messed the encoding up so I made a bug report. To be sure I changed the Reaper decoder to ffmpeg and boom! ... everything worked like expected.

Here is what it looks like:
VLC playback doesn't show the last frames of a loop or any video.

Ffmpeg shows the last frames correctly.

As this isn't something Reaper can change I just wanted to inform you about this bug. I use VLC 3.03. Would be nice if someone could confirm it.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Eliseat

By the way: The stuck frames from VLC also get rendered!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Hmm testing here on macOS 10.13.6, all 64-bit, I found that with a 1 second, 10fps h264 video generated by AVFoundation:

VLC 3.0.0 and 3.0.4 (standalone) drop the last 5 frames (I only see the first 5 frames).
VLC 2.2.0 (standalone) plays all 10 frames
Quicktime player plays all 10 frames

REAPER / VLC 3.0.0 and 3.0.4 drop the last 6 frames (one more than the VLC app, hmm)
REAPER / VLC 2.2.0 drops the last 4 frames
REAPER / AVFoundation plays all 10 frames
REAPER / ffmpeg58 plays 9/10 frames

Edit: I have a fix for the 9/10 frames of ffmpeg58 (and 57), in the next builds it should show all frames (at least for this test).
Edit: I've gotten VLC 2.2 and VLC 3.0.4 to produce 9/10 frames (the VLC 3.0.4 issue with dropping so many frames is a bug in in the avcodec module of VLC, which one can workaround, I wonder if it's been fixed yet in the latest VLC git, hmm...)

Last edited by Justin; 12-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Eliseat

Really strange bug. But its also understandable it got not recognized, as 99.99% of people wont take care of the last few frames of their movies.

I took a bug report ticket on videolan.org. Hopefully they fix it in the next version because this is serious if VLC gets used as decoder for rendering. The funny thing is, before I had realized it was VLC, I thought it was Blender. So I also asked in their exchange forum and took a bug report ticket. And before that I was just about to make a bug report in the Reaper forums. So the world knows now whats wrong with VLC. (And I have four new user accounts I didn't want in the first place.)

Many thanks for your confirmation.

Eli
Old 12-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

It looks like it is fixed in the VLC source (though not yet in a release). Anyway I've got it working to just a single dropped frame now, trying to figure out how to get that fixed too, though I will probably give up.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote