Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Default TCP vol knob: Where is the damn stack?

Hi,

I usually use rendering time or breaks for working randomly on my default theme. It makes fun and helps to understand everything behind. Bit by bit. But sometimes ...

I just wanted to change the tcp-volume-knob. To find its png was easy but that's only one part. Where the hack can I find the stack which every other knob has in Reaper? It looks like there are two png vor the volume knob. One for the static background and one for the moving pointer. The latter is just not there. At least not in the image folder of the theme.

Would somebody be kind enough to tell me where I can find this part?

Many thanks.

Edit: It feels a bit stupid to always create a new thread for such things but I just didn't find anything about it in the forums. So ... sorry.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Not all themes use all images. Any theme you look at will have made decisions about which parts of the theming functionality to make use of, and its never 'all of it'.

The full image list is in the sdk, here.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
Eliseat

Yes, of course. But where is the vol knob stack of the default theme? Something has to be there to show the pointer of the knob. Is it an generic image? But where is it? I only want to change the pointer.

Quote:
tcp_vol_knob_stack (knob-stack):
If not found, falls back to knob_stack.
Both are not in my unpacked theme folder.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
But where is the vol knob stack of the default theme? Something has to be there to show the pointer of the knob. Is it an generic image?
There are no tcp volume knob stack images in the default theme. If there are no appropriately named knob stack images in the theme, Reaper will fall back to regular knob images, e.g. tcp_vol_knob_small.png. For those images Reaper will automatically draw the pointer line (code) based on the size of the knobs.

There are ways to adjust the pointer line length using yellow lines and by how the knob sizes have been defined in Walter, but it's a bit tricky. If I'd want control over how the moving parts look, I'd go for the knob stacks instead.

Check WALTER: A themer’s guide for more details.
(starting from p. 26 on this specific topic)
http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...mers_guide.pdf

Last edited by xpander; 12-13-2018 at 10:08 AM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
There are no tcp volume knob stack images in the default theme. If there are no appropriately named knob stack images in the theme, Reaper will fall back to regular knob images, e.g. tcp_vol_knob_small.png. For those images Reaper will automatically draw the pointer line (code) based on the size of the knobs.

There are ways to adjust the pointer line length using yellow lines and by how the knob sizes have been defined in Walter, but it's a bit tricky. If I'd want control over how the moving parts look, I'd go for the knob stacks instead.

Check WALTER: A themer’s guide for more details.
(starting from p. 26 on this specific topic)
http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...mers_guide.pdf
Ah okay, that was enlightened. So if I put a stack from Knobman software with the width and height of tcp_vol_knob inside the theme folder and name it tcp_vol_knob_stack I could overwrite the coded knob pointer? I will try that.

Many thanks for the info. I was afraid I could not sleep this night because of this stupid idea to just change the look of my tcp volume.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Eliseat

Yeah! It shows up. But ... - a new problem appeared. It doesn't behave like a knob rather than scrolling up and down the whole stack. Does this need a specific height, a specific stack number or any other info?

Many thanks

Lol!

Old 12-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
xpander

You might have to set fadermode differently, e.g. tcp.volume.fadermode [1] should force volume knob to act as a knob, not fader? That is set in the rtconfig file.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
strachupl

no, add border with pink line
strachupl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
xpander

Might work, it depends...none of my knob stacks have pink nor yellow lines.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
Eliseat

Thanks for your help. I reverse engineered it from a theme called Solaris. Funny thing is, it seems that the vol knob stack has to be horizontal not vertical as the others I saw.

I will check if this works and give feedback here.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

It can be either horizontal or vertical, it doesn't matter. The frame errror you were getting is probably because the frame size isn't square, which is what it needs to be if you're not ready to start working with pink lines.

As xpander said, the themers' guide has a section on all of this, have a look.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:14 AM   #12
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
It can be either horizontal or vertical, it doesn't matter. The frame errror you were getting is probably because the frame size isn't square, which is what it needs to be if you're not ready to start working with pink lines.

As xpander said, the themers' guide has a section on all of this, have a look.
Man, I was just about to give up!

Many thanks. I thought I had to choose the same dimensions like the tcp_volume_knob but since this it 27x24 it didn't fit in as a square knob. Now it works pretty well and it seems more easy than before.

Thanks to all

Yeah!!