Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
davernoise
Human being with feelings

Default using uTrack24 as interface

New to Reaper. I'm attempting to use the uTrack24 as an interface with Reaper, and it's driving me crazy.

Reaper preferences device set to uTrack24. I insert 24 new tracks. Line in input:mono to each track (track 1-line input mono 1, track 2-line input mono 2, etc). I just leave all of the output routing in default, and this is what happens monitoring through the uTrack24 headphone amp:
track1 audio is panned left
track2 audio is center
track3 audio is panned right
track4 audio is center
track5 audio is panned left
track6 audio is panned right
track7 audio is center
track8 audio is panned left
track9-15 no audible audio (but it shows in the corresponding track led/vu)
track16 audio is center with stereo chorus sound
track17-24 no audio (but is shows in the corresponding track led/vu)

For tracks 9-15, and 17-24 the only way I can get audio to the stereo master buss is to click the monitor input until it shows a speaker icon, BUT, all of those tracks has what sounds like a stereo chorus on them.

Note: track 1-8 nothing is selected as the monitor input.

How can all these tracks be so different when all I did was insert 24 identical tracks, and all I changed was the Line In on each track. Is Reaper just not compatible with the uTrack24? (Mac 10.8)

Last edited by davernoise; 12-08-2018 at 10:20 AM.
davernoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
LugNut

Hi,
Sounds like the utrack has some mixer software running on itself.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
serr

The built-in cuemix mixer in an audio interface is normally a stand-alone mixer. The idea is to use it for low latency input monitoring so you don't have to run a DAW app in low latency (which may be beyond a lower spec computer's ability). A mixer built into an interface is not normally possible to integrate with a DAW app. You have two separate systems: The mixer built-into the interface with whatever features it was designed with. The DAW app using the interface as just inputs and outputs.

Monitor your live inputs with one or the other. SOP is to leave the computer DAW latency high for CPU headroom and monitor any live overdubs with the interface's mixer. (Keeping the live input recording channel from the interface muted.) Live sound or live performance work needs a fast computer and actually runs the DAW at very low latency.

If you were to try monitoring through both systems at the same time, you'd hear a chorus or delay effect as the path through the computer would have a delay from the system latency.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote