Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
For some reason they remind me of other tunes on the cd such as November/I Can See more than face deface - probably because of the acoustic stuff - those are tunes the keyboard player brought in so I wonder if he's familiar.
I can hear what you mean about the acoustic vibe in November. I think it's mostly the droning guitar effect Face Deface has that I hear a similar vibe in.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #42
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I can hear what you mean about the acoustic vibe in November. I think it's mostly the droning guitar effect Face Deface has that I hear a similar vibe in.
Gotcha.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #43
vitalker

This thing is really awesome: https://lvcaudio.com/plugins/toned-max/
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 AM   #44
Mr. PC

Y'all can dynamic side-chain EQ in Pro-Q 2 (or really any EQ).

Remember this thread?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206551
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #45
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
Somebody noticed Reaper on the background on the video ?
Dan Worrall is a reaperite. I've noticed he uses mostly Reaper in all of his tutorials. His showcase videos and tutorials are works of art.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #46
beingmf

Somehow I feel I have to chime in since (as far as I read) everybody seems to agree that it's "not about the sound". Hell, what???

Just one week ago I tested literally ALL existing demos of FIR (or hybrid phase) EQs avaliable, because of ... sound!

A little background: atm I mix an album with lots of acoustic guitar tracks. Some of them (if not all) were tracked with not enough time for a proper recording as I'd had have loved to. So in every song's guitars there's some obvious "flaws" that need to be addressed.
Enter my usual corrective algo EQs, namely Melda and sometimes ReaEQ. No matter what I did and how little, the essence of the sound, you may call it the "flesh", was gone immediately. I was shocked since I've used these EQs for years now and never noticed any negative influence on the sound quality. Oh oh.

Long story short: I felt best with Fabfilter and Toneboosters EQ4. I could use quite drastic cuts (for boosts I still prefer Nebula/Acqua, but that's not "corrective", or is it?) without losing the physicality of a guitar in a room in front of a mic. Rarely was I happier to shell out 30 Euros for such an amazing plugin which has since replaced every single algo EQ in my VST folder.

Do yourself the favour and compare the sound of e.g. ReaEQ and the Toneboosters EQ4 in terms of: directness, physicality, impact and - as a negative term - perceivable "smear". It has nothing to do with "is it a Neve filter curve" or "how much aliasing is there over 10k"? It's about phase and truth I guess

EDIT: only days later I realised that I had a beautiful dynamic option on top. TDR Nova, I'll delete you, too
Old 12-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #47
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Somehow I feel I have to chime in since (as far as I read) everybody seems to agree that it's "not about the sound". Hell, what???

Just one week ago I tested literally ALL existing demos of FIR (or hybrid phase) EQs avaliable, because of ... sound! ****************************

Long story short: I felt best with Fabfilter and Toneboosters EQ4. I could use quite drastic cuts (for boosts I still prefer Nebula/Acqua, but that's not "corrective", or is it?) without losing the physicality of a guitar in a room in front of a mic. Rarely was I happier to shell out 30 Euros for such an amazing plugin which has since replaced every single algo EQ in my VST folder.

EDIT: only days later I realised that I had a beautiful dynamic option on top. TDR Nova, I'll delete you, too
Enjoy your Post, but a bit confused by the EDIT:

Toneboosters EQ4 is cool here, but also like TDR Nova. Can you clarify your intent in the EDIT plz ?
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #48
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Enjoy your Post, but a bit confused by the EDIT:

Toneboosters EQ4 is cool here, but also like TDR Nova. Can you clarify your intent in the EDIT plz ?
Sure: EQ4 does the same if you like, but sounds much better (and causes much less GPU hiccups than Nova)
Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #49
sostenuto

Quote:
Sure: EQ4 does the same if you like, but sounds much better (and causes much less GPU hiccups than Nova)
THX! No argument here, was just not sure until you made this distinction.
Hard to argue with your tests and preference in sound with EQ4.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #50
Judders

Quote:
It's not all about the sound.

There are also considerations of functionality, user interface, CPU use etc... Just as in the hardware world, there are pieces that become popular because of how they work rather than because they sound better than anything else.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It's not all about the sound.
they work rather than because they sound better than anything else.
Correct, one can work themselves to death if the only criteria they use is what it sounds like. It makes total sense when one doesn't have a choice/budget, but if they do it's basically a sweat equity vs efficiency decision in many cases.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #52
Judders

Quote:
Correct, one can work themselves to death if the only criteria they use is what it sounds like. It makes total sense when one doesn't have a choice/budget, but if they do it's basically a sweat equity vs efficiency decision in many cases.
Though we are talking with a Nebula user, so beingmf is obviously on the extreme side of sonics over convenience!

(kidding!)
Old 12-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #53
karbomusic

Quote:
Though we are talking with a Nebula user, so beingmf is obviously on the extreme side of sonics over convenience!

(kidding!)
Stands up in 12-step meeting...

"I'm a Nebula user too..."

I own it but I don't really use it that much these days, I do use the reverb and tape emu's (because they are sort of obvious to the ear) but that whole put a preamp on every track thing never gave me much to get excited about.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #54
dupont

I tried tonebooster EQ4 and noticed a drastic increase of the CPU load of about 10% when I open the plugin UI and the EQ curve is active.
This is a serious issue when my project is above 60 % CPU.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #55
Judders

Quote:
Stands up in 12-step meeting...

"I'm a Nebula user too..."

I own it but I don't really use it that much these days, I do use the reverb and tape emu's (because they are sort of obvious to the ear) but that whole put a preamp on every track thing never gave me much to get excited about.
I used the free version for a while, but having to offline render everything was a major drag. Being able to quickly act on decisions is important to me (this was getting on for 10 years ago now, so processing power was REALLY stretched, and I believe the free version wasn't as optimised, but I may have remembered that wrong).
Old 12-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #56
karbomusic

Quote:
I used the free version for a while, but having to offline render everything was a major drag. Being able to quickly act on decisions is important to me (this was getting on for 10 years ago now, so processing power was REALLY stretched, and I believe the free version wasn't as optimised, but I may have remembered that wrong).
Possibly, I've never had many resource problems with it but I also don't usually use that many instances.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #57
Mr. PC

Does EQ 4 sound better than Pro-Q3?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 AM   #58
RobU

I was on the FF forum yesterday. There's quite a bit of noise about the lack of sidechain for the dynamics. The devs chimed in.

"Our goal was to keep Pro-Q 3 as simple and streamlined as possible[...]

[...]with some extra dynamics features thrown in the mix (so to speak)[..]

[...]it was not about Pro-MB... We really wanted to have a focused set of features for dynamic EQ in Pro-Q 3 and decided that external triggering was not essential. We do appreciate the feedback on this and we just might add it in an update later on if it turns out to be a bad decision"

and following some more +1's, pleading, and general griping from forum members

"We hear you! "

So they are listening, and read into that what you will, but I'm kinda hopeful that it will be added in a future release (crosses fingers...)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #59
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobU View Post
I was on the FF forum yesterday. There's quite a bit of noise about the lack of sidechain for the dynamics. The devs chimed in.

"Our goal was to keep Pro-Q 3 as simple and streamlined as possible[...]

[...]with some extra dynamics features thrown in the mix (so to speak)[..]

[...]it was not about Pro-MB... We really wanted to have a focused set of features for dynamic EQ in Pro-Q 3 and decided that external triggering was not essential. We do appreciate the feedback on this and we just might add it in an update later on if it turns out to be a bad decision"

and following some more +1's, pleading, and general griping from forum members

"We hear you! "

So they are listening, and read into that what you will, but I'm kinda hopeful that it will be added in a future release (crosses fingers...)
Already possible; see my video above.

Just route the track to sidechain input, then right-click whatever parameter you wanna modulate, and "modulate this parameter"
Old 12-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #60
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Already possible; see my video above.

Just route the track to sidechain input, then right-click whatever parameter you wanna modulate, and "modulate this parameter"
Sure, it's possible in REAPER, in other DAW's not so much. I'm polyDAW...

Edit: I ate my hat. Just did this with the audio sidechain modulator in Bitwig. Facepalm, and f-yeah !

Last edited by RobU; 12-19-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Muppet moment.
RobU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #61
airon

Yeah, the sidechain will help. It'll be a nice addition to Pro-Q3.

It's dynamic EQ features are by far the easiest I've ever used. I've already integrated the controls in to my hardware setup.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #62
multibody

Is it possible for you to operate Pro-Q in Stereo-Mode and use the sidechain for external-spectrum display?

On my System Pro-q always changes to quadro-mode when I extend the channel in the pin-connector to 4-inputs (stereo + stereo-sidechain).

Thanks!
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #63
Omicron9

Noob question here: I had read elsewhere in the forum that Reaper skins all plugins with its own generic (ala ReaEQ) UI skin. But in the Dan Worrall video around the 1:59 mark, you can see Reaper running in the background.

Hence: does Fabfilter Pro Q3 display in its own UI/skin as you see in Dan's video?

Again, my apologies in advance if this is a bonehead Q.

Thanks in advance,
Omicron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #64
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron9 View Post
I had read elsewhere in the forum that Reaper skins all plugins with its own generic (ala ReaEQ) UI skin.
Not unless you choose to do so. Reaper does wrap the FX GUI inside a window frame, like most all DAWs do, but that's a different thing. Open any 3rd party FX and you will see this yourself.

But Pro-Q has also a full screen mode and there you probably get rid of the window frame too...any actual Pro-Q user could verify this.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
But Pro-Q has also a full screen mode and there you probably get rid of the window frame too...any actual Pro-Q user could verify this.
That is correct.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #66
Omicron9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Not unless you choose to do so. Reaper does wrap the FX GUI inside a window frame, like most all DAWs do, but that's a different thing. Open any 3rd party FX and you will see this yourself.

So that I understand: Pro-Q still has its own GUI, but inside a window frame?

Thanks for this!

Omicron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #67
davon666

Default dynamic bandwith of pro q

hey talented minds, has anyone figured how to sidechain a channel to the dynamic bandwith of pro q 3 in Reaper? I was used to doing it easily on Ableton but as shown in the screenshot attached (i hope clearly enough haha) the drop in the eq shape is also sidechained by the sound itself and not just by the signal sidechaining it.

In this example the hats that should only be sidechained by the leads gets also sidechained by itself, I tried ,it seems, all combination in the 'plug in pin connector' and cannot get pro q to only sidechain the dynamic bandwith with the lead signal and not the hats signal.

Honestly i hope this make sense and hopefully bring some lights to everyone in the community, also happy to explain how to do it in Ableton (just add the signal in the sidechain input of the plugin lol).

Thank you all

link to the screenshot : https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Bs...ew?usp=sharing
davon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #68
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Originally Posted by davon666 View Post
hey talented minds, has anyone figured how to sidechain a channel to the dynamic bandwith of pro q 3 in Reaper? I was used to doing it easily on Ableton but as shown in the screenshot attached (i hope clearly enough haha) the drop in the eq shape is also sidechained by the sound itself and not just by the signal sidechaining it.

In this example the hats that should only be sidechained by the leads gets also sidechained by itself, I tried ,it seems, all combination in the 'plug in pin connector' and cannot get pro q to only sidechain the dynamic bandwith with the lead signal and not the hats signal.

Honestly i hope this make sense and hopefully bring some lights to everyone in the community, also happy to explain how to do it in Ableton (just add the signal in the sidechain input of the plugin lol).

Thank you all

link to the screenshot : https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Bs...ew?usp=sharing
Look into these settings -
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #69
davon666

oh, I haven't figured how to open the menu shown in the screenshot I attached what I get when I right click on the plug in pin collector button.

haha sorry bit slopy cannot even find how to attached the screenshot in the post

corrected : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h22...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by davon666; 11-19-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:42 AM   #70
davon666

is it a feature that may only be available to full user? im still on the demo so ..
Old 11-20-2021, 05:38 AM   #71
xpander

If you mean the Reaper demo, it's a fully functioning version with all the features.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:00 AM   #72
davon666

oh great, yes this is what I meant regarding the screenshot from Skorobagatko, xpander would you know the manipulation to access this menu? thank you
Old 11-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #73
xpander

You can access the plugin pin connector from the button top right in the FX window. In Skorobagatkos picture above it's the button with the "4/8 in 4 out" text, top left corner in that picture.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #74
davon666

thanks heaps, i managed to access the grid but not the routing menu as on the screenshot where it shows 'Request VST3 bus channel count'.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #75
karbomusic

1.Drag the track IO button (from the sending side-chain track) and drop it directly onto Fabfilter Pro-Q3 (This will automatically route that to ProQ on channels 3/4):

2. Then, click the pin connector for Pro-Q3, change 3/4 to the next two channels to the right:

3. Now expand the "Auto" button for the Dynamic EQ band properties, then click the little side-chain button - it will turn blue when you click it:

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-20-2021 at 04:23 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:01 AM   #76
davon666

that is so clearly explained, really appreciated, yet when I drag the route in the pro q -> changing 3/4 to the next two channels to the right ,there the routing grid does not give me the sidechain options

when sliding route to pro q : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K3s...ew?usp=sharing

routing grid without sidechain channel in vertical options : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oiv...ew?usp=sharing

whatever comes out of this topic a huge thanks for some much help coming from so many of you !!

Last edited by davon666; 11-21-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #77
davon666

oh big news I kinda found the issue, running REAPER v6.42 on BigSur the option does not display and running ,I m nearly sure, the last Reaper version on windows gives me the sidechain channel in the routing bus grid.

Just gonna migrate my story on windows haha thanks to everyone =)
Old 11-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #78
karbomusic

Are you sure you are using the VST3 version?
Old 11-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #79
davon666

oooh indeed I wasn't problem solved, just gotta try the solution suggested now, thanks !!!
Old 11-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #80
davon666

goodness It worked !