Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-20-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
Alexis
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper doesn't working correctly on El Capitan

Hi everyone. I would like to ask about this problem, who can faced ... Problem started after upgrading to El Capitan (Mac OS X 10.11) on my Mac Mini.
When I'm uploading a large enough project in 64-bit Reaper (32-bit plug-ins) the program freezes for a few seconds after some time and restarts the computer with a black screen, saying "I'm sorry, here is Johny... here is a mistake." Tell me, please, could it be the problem in 32-bit Bridge? I don't know what I should do, I just can't work anymore.

p.s. Sorry for my weak english.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
serr

I'm not sure if someone has a solution for this.

The short answer is that Reaper does not support OSX 10.11 yet.

Put your old system back and hold off on 10.11 for now.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
cyrano

If it's bad enough to spontaneously restart your Mini, it's probably not Reaper...

An application shouldn't take out OSX. If that's happening, something is wrong with your system. First test should be a new setup, on an external disk fi, with a clean install of "El capital". If Reaper behaves the same with the clean install, it could be hardware related. Bad ram, fi.

If you need to be productive, I'd take Serr's advice and roll back to Yosemite or Mavericks or whatever system you came from.

You do have a backup, I hope?
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
T:R:C

Default It crashes for me too

I also wanted to confirm that it crashes my system every time after about 20 seconds for me too on a Macbook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.
T:R:C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Default BTW...

I tried rolling Reaper back to 4.78 and it also crashed my machine after about 10-20 seconds. So yeah, rolling back to a previous version of OS X appears to be what you have to do until El Capitan is supported - hopefully sooner than later.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Lokasenna

I believe most DAWs are having a rough time with El Capitan - something about it causing interface problems. Apple are supposedly working on it.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Apple are supposedly working on it.
OSX 10.11.1 Beta has already been released, but I fear it won't fix audio issues. Many hard- and software vendors need to update their products.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
DarkStar

^^^^
Or Apple needs to think a bit more about changes that affect so many hardware / software manufacturers.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
OSX 10.11.1 Beta has already been released, but I fear it won't fix audio issues. Many hard- and software vendors need to update their products.
The beta is in it's fourth incarnation already, meaning final release should be beginning of december at it's latest. I bet on thursday next week :-)

There is a fix for the USB problems in it. These problems have hit some audio interface makers hard. RME fixed it in 3 days, because the problem surfaced on a friday, the driver update was available monday. Focusrite has had a beta driver for those suffering from the problem, as have a couple of others. Some, like Tascam, still have to wake up.

Reaper is working fine here on 10.11. I'm on an older non-retina pre Haswell 2009 MB pro though. And it's running on a clean install of El capital, no 3rd party plugins and hardly any other software.

It's also typical that these USB problems could have been avoided if everyone, including Apple (and Intel) would follow specs to the letter. I hear that a workaround for the Haswell bugs is around the corner too.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Or Apple needs to think a bit more about changes that affect so many hardware / software manufacturers.
They especially should think of longer OS life cycles ... 1 year is the minimum for an OS to mature. Yosemite is the best example.

Chris
Old 10-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
cyrano

And 10.11.1 is available...
Old 10-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #12

Default And...

...still system crashing on 10.11.1 after about 10 seconds.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by T:R:C View Post
...still system crashing on 10.11.1 after about 10 seconds.
Because Cyrano doesn't have the problem, it's likely, that not Reaper, but the interface driver or any VST/AU is causing the crash. Did you try, if it happens with the internal soundcard too? This way you might be able to find the source of the problem.

If it still happens with internal soundcard and without using any plugins, a clean install of El Cap might help, because Cyrano did exactly that. It's also worth mentioning, that I started with a new Yosemite Macbook and didn't encounter many issues others reported, who did an update install of Yosemite.

But if I were you, I would prefer going back to Yosemite, because that will surely fix this issue and avoid other El Cap issues, that will take months, until they all get fixed, I guess.

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 10-21-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Because Cyrano doesn't have the problem, it's likely, that not Reaper, but the interface driver or any VST/AU is causing the crash. Did you try, if it happens with the internal soundcard too? This way you might be able to find the source of the problem.

If it still happens with internal soundcard and without using any plugins, a clean install of El Cap might help, because Cyrano did exactly that. It's also worth mentioning, that I started with a new Yosemite Macbook and didn't encounter many issues others reported, who did an update install of Yosemite.

But if I were you, I would prefer going back to Yosemite, because that will surely fix this issue and avoid other El Cap issues, that will take months, until they all get fixed, I guess.
Yeah, crashes with internal sound and a new blank project so no plugins, etc. I'm not desperate as I've also got a functioning ancient Mac/Reaper/interface that I never update anything on, ever. Good to have a backup, even if it's slow. Certainly better than crashing. I'll probably revert back to Yosemite though - my mistake for updating it in the first place. Wish there was a better way than this cycle of new anything = broken.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #15
Aymara

Quote:
Wish there was a better way than this cycle of new anything = broken.
Many years ago the Windows community created the rule of thumb "never install a zero version", which is nowadays applicable on every software.

Chris
Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Many years ago the Windows community created the rule of thumb "never install a zero version", which is nowadays applicable on every software.
Good rule for sure. Also have a graveyard of perfectly good interface hardware except that the manufacturers quit updating the drivers for newer OS updates in no time. "No longer supported. Buy the new hardware." when the new hardware does nothing new or better that I care about than the old hardware. Meh, I just use this stuff for demo work. The real recording happens on 2" tape and a Neve.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 PM   #17
Aymara

Quote:
"No longer supported. Buy the new hardware."
That's why my good old Canon scanner now runs in a Win XP VM on Parallels Desktop ... I was not willing to create junk, because I seldom need the scanner.

Chris
Old 10-22-2015, 02:29 AM   #18
goldec

The interface lag when moving mouse over TCP main window during playback is still present aswell.

Reaper is just not ready for el capitan. It is not safe to update yet.
goldec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #19
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldec View Post
The interface lag when moving mouse over TCP main window during playback is still present aswell.

Reaper is just not ready for el capitan. It is not safe to update yet.
I'd say it's more that el Capitan is not ready for:

Reaper
Tons of audio interfaces
Apollo - singling this out beacause UA stuff is notoriously solid and they recommend waiting on el Cap, especially if you're on FW
NI - lots of reported problems
and on, and on, and on....

Sure looks more like the OS to me
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #20
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
The real recording happens on 2" tape and a Neve.
Oh yeah baby

Which 2" ?

Which Neve ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #21
goldec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Only the reality of the situation is that apple won't fix anyones broken drivers or software even if the issues come from the changes that they (apple) have made.
goldec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #22
Alexis

Default Everything fixed... it seems

Guys, thank you everyone really. It seems that everything was fixed in latest update of El Capitan, which was released yesterday. So far, all is stable. I hope everything will be alright now.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #23
DarkStar

Quote:
Good rule for sure. Also have a graveyard of perfectly good interface hardware except that the manufacturers quit updating the drivers for newer OS updates in no time. "No longer supported. Buy the new hardware." when the new hardware does nothing new or better that I care about than the old hardware.
Good rule, but let me add: if you had the old hardware from manufacturer A, then be sure to drop them a line to say you will be buying the new hardware, but it'll be from manufacturer B.

-------------------
Auxiliary question - if I were writing audio interface drivers for Windows 10, how much extra effort would it be to update an existing Windows 7 (or even Windows XP) driver to run on Windows 10?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Oh yeah baby

Which 2" ?

Which Neve ?
1973 Neve 8048. Not mine unfortunately! No drivers required. :P
Old 10-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #25
cyrano

Quote:
I'd say it's more that el Capitan is not ready for:

Reaper
Tons of audio interfaces
Apollo - singling this out beacause UA stuff is notoriously solid and they recommend waiting on el Cap, especially if you're on FW
NI - lots of reported problems
and on, and on, and on....

RME had sorted their troubles with EC in a day or so, weeks before final release...
Focusrite's beta driver seems to work for most. That was also available weeks before EC's final release.
Most stuff that's USB audio class compliant works, with the notable exception of "true" USB1.1 devices on USB3 equipped Macs. "True" means these devices are probably older than ten years.

Sounds more like the rest is just waiting to see IF they have to act, instead of doing their own testing, as they should.

I don't like the new fast release style any more than the rest of you.

I just know whining about Apple won't change anything, because they simply don't care. Why should they? It's 3rd party hardware, used by 0.00001% of their customers. OTOH, for the hardware manufacturer, it's probably more like 10% of their customers...
Old 10-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #26
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

I just know whining about Apple won't change anything, because they simply don't care. Why should they? It's 3rd party hardware, used by 0.00001% of their customers. OTOH, for the hardware manufacturer, it's probably more like 10% of their customers...
The needs of the DAW world don't even move the needle in Cupertino. Now that phones and IOS have long run away with the company I truly believe that if they had a major new system ready for release that did amazing things in the direction they've been heading in but caused everything in the Mac DAW world, certainly the prosumer DAW world, to come to a screeching halt they wouldn't think twice about pushing it out. It may be time for someone to come along and market an OS strictly for DAW use, with a better relationship with manufacturers and DAW users than Apple does.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #27
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
It may be time for someone to come along and market an OS strictly for DAW use, with a better relationship with manufacturers and DAW users than Apple does.
Nobody has the time/money to develop a new OS. There are some developments, but none of those are even usable for audio, afaik.

OSX is free, Windows is free now, Linux, BSD... are free.

MS can still make money despite giving away Windows, because of Office and because they plan to sell your data.

Apple, on the other hand, also collects data, but doesn't sell it in any form. That would undermine their golden cage. You wouldn't want to sell marketing data to your competitors, would you?

Besides, Apple has sold over a billion iphones at a very healthy profit.

Macs don't really matter. You still need one to develop apps for iOS, but how long before you can do that on your ipad?

The DAW user simply isn't on Apple's marketing maps anymore. After iOS devices, it's the Apple car that will get all the attention. Everyone can use a car. Not everyone needs a Mac...

And if you hope one of the open source OS'es would jump in, you're in for a disappointment. Audio is still not very well supported on Linux or BSD. Audio oriented Linux distro's exist, but none of those is really a working solution, mainly because there's almost no supported hardware. And these distro's come and go, so you risk loosing your studio OS in a couple of years...
Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #28
vanhaze

Reaper 5.05pre8b - 64bit.
OSX 10.11.1 (update from 10.10)

Reaper crashes everytime when i open it.
It seems the crash is REWIRE related.
Justin replied on this issue but doesn't have a clue right now.

So i can't do anything in Reaper, OMG, i am stupid, stupid, stupid.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #29
Alexis

Default not working again :(

I'm sorry. The problem wasn't solved, as it turned out.

Program uses CPU on 100% when I'm opening 2 or more tabs of projects. Some plug-ins are not displaying in GUI, and it's not a problem of sound card or system - my M-Audio had no drivers for Yosemite too.

You still can work on small projects in Reaper, but if the project has weight enough - system crashes and restarts.

Problem of AU plugins compatibility was solved, right. But not a problem of compatibility DAW.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #30
vanhaze

Oeff, this all seems very serious incompatibility between 10.11 and Reaper

Tonight i am returning to 10.10 on my macbook.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #31
vdubreeze

Quote:
Nobody has the time/money to develop a new OS. There are some developments, but none of those are even usable for audio, afaik.

OSX is free, Windows is free now, Linux, BSD... are free.

MS can still make money despite giving away Windows, because of Office and because they plan to sell your data.

Apple, on the other hand, also collects data, but doesn't sell it in any form. That would undermine their golden cage. You wouldn't want to sell marketing data to your competitors, would you?

Besides, Apple has sold over a billion iphones at a very healthy profit.

Macs don't really matter. You still need one to develop apps for iOS, but how long before you can do that on your ipad?

The DAW user simply isn't on Apple's marketing maps anymore. After iOS devices, it's the Apple car that will get all the attention. Everyone can use a car. Not everyone needs a Mac...

And if you hope one of the open source OS'es would jump in, you're in for a disappointment. Audio is still not very well supported on Linux or BSD. Audio oriented Linux distro's exist, but none of those is really a working solution, mainly because there's almost no supported hardware. And these distro's come and go, so you risk loosing your studio OS in a couple of years...
I agree. I wasn't saying I was predicting it, just that Apple retains less and less each year of why we should commit to the platform. But OS X isn't "free". They're no visible cost to the purchaser of the hardware, but Apple charges what it requires or wishes for a computer that comes with their OS and they build the cost of the OS into that. We pay for it by spending $1,850 for a $1,400 laptop.

But more to the point, it doesn't require the obscene amount of money it used to for software and OS development because the days of fretting over how one's product will be distributed are over. A roomful of smart and devoted people who are crazy enough to ignore the slimness of the chance of being a breakout success pretty much describes every small software company out there.

If Metric Halo, as an example of a company that I feel strongly about, created an OS marketed strictly for DAW use, where the designers and programmers were audio driven, likely anyone who has ever dealt with them would spend hundreds for it sight unseen. Naturally there are a million reasons it won't happen, but I'm that unenthusiastic about Apple and what I use computers for that I'd love it to become a reality.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #32
esosotericmetal

FWIW I just upgraded to 10.11.1 from Yosemite on a 2012 Mac Mini i7 and 2013 Macbook Air (after making some backups of course). Haven't had any of the issues described. Everything seems to work fine.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #33
cyrano

A couple of things that might help to make things clearer: Please state your Mac model [incl. Retina or not] and if you have SWS extensions or other helper software installed.

My test was a "naked" test. A clean install of El Capital, with a clean Reaper 5. No SWS, no 3rd party plugins. I don't recall the exact point release and that machine has already been reinstalled.

It was also a short test: I throw my audio test files into the DAW, and check if most functions work. Minor cosmetic stuff usually doesn't get noticed.

Other things that might interfere with audio: JackOSX, SoundFlower, ffmpeg, lame, VLC. So it might be worth noting if you use any of these too.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:47 AM   #34
Twangothan

I'm so glad I didn't upgrade. I have no inclination to do so for the immediate future - I have all updates off on my Mac Mini and all is stable, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. My iPad 2 is dying due to a series of upgrades which seem to have added no extra functionlity other then trivial font changes yet it is running like a dog. I used to think upgrades were improvements.....
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:28 AM   #35
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
My iPad 2 is dying due to a series of upgrades which seem to have added no extra functionlity other then trivial font changes yet it is running like a dog.
I updated an iPad 2 of a colleague to iOS 8.4 after resetting it to default and now it runs quite nice. Maybe try that after doing a backup first.

Chris
Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #36

Quote:
A couple of things that might help to make things clearer: Please state your Mac model [incl. Retina or not] and if you have SWS extensions or other helper software installed.

My test was a "naked" test. A clean install of El Capital, with a clean Reaper 5. No SWS, no 3rd party plugins. I don't recall the exact point release and that machine has already been reinstalled.

It was also a short test: I throw my audio test files into the DAW, and check if most functions work. Minor cosmetic stuff usually doesn't get noticed.

Other things that might interfere with audio: JackOSX, SoundFlower, ffmpeg, lame, VLC. So it might be worth noting if you use any of these too.
Mine that Reaper system crashes in about 10 seconds after loading is a 2013 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display. No SWS or other helper software installed, no JackOSX, no SoundFlower, no ffmpeg, no VLC. I do use Lame as my MP3 encoder when rendering to MP3.

Edit: BTW, I did revert back to Yosemite and the latest version of Reaper works great.

Last edited by T:R:C; 10-26-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #37
easye61

Default mbox mini

Just new to this forum and wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of anything on Mbox Mini not playing audio on Mavericks. I've downloaded the latest pro-tools driver and am able to record, but i get no output.
In the meantime, its perfectly solid on Snow Leopard.

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I'm not sure if someone has a solution for this.

The short answer is that Reaper does not support OSX 10.11 yet.

Put your old system back and hold off on 10.11 for now.
easye61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by easye61 View Post
Just new to this forum and wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of anything on Mbox Mini not playing audio on Mavericks. I've downloaded the latest pro-tools driver and am able to record, but i get no output.
In the meantime, its perfectly solid on Snow Leopard.

thank you!
My guess is that the MBox Mini drivers stop being supported at Snow Leopard but you'll need to check their website.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:38 AM   #39
Kommit

Same problem here, REAPER reboots OS X with x86 VST/AU FX.
Kommit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #40
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommit View Post
Same problem here, REAPER reboots OS X with x86 VST/AU FX.
Please state your Mac model [incl. Retina or not] and if you have SWS extensions or other helper software installed.

There is a problem with large loads. That could be hardware related, as a crashing program shouldn't be able to take OSX out. Let alone, restarting the Mac.

Meanwhile I've seen the restarting problem on one machine that doesn't run Reaper. That machine however, has plenty of old software on it. Stuff like Fuse, dating back to 10.6.8. An old Fuse will not run on El Capital.

A tool you can use to make an annotated report, is EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Please post the listing here, so we can check if any other software might be causing this.