Old 09-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
Hellsing
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3
Default Hardware for new computer

Hello first post
Im about to build a computer customized for DAW-Reaper work and music making. I will buy the parts (CPU, motherboard e t c) separately as I have not found a good option when it comes to "ready to use" computers and music processing. I have called some computer stores but they have no clue what I should look for.

I have read that its more important to have a high frequency instead of more cores on the CPU e.g. I assume there are more stuff to consider here.

Has anyone a list of things to take into account before I decide or maybe you have just bought a new computer that works like a charm!? Im not a full time profesional when it comes to music making but I want to get a computer that will last some years..Got monitors, headphones, keyboard, microphone, guitars, external soundcard so its piling up

Thanks!
Hellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 896
Default

Questions you should ask yourself:

How does your soundcard connect? USB2, USB3, firewire, Thunderbolt....?

What are you doing to make music? Recording instruments through microphones like a band? How many at a time? Are you using virtual synths? Both?

How many TV monitors do you plan to use?

Is PC noise an issue?

How many USB ports do you think you'll need in life to do what you do?

Form factor...? How about CDRW drive?

Hard drive space? How much music are you making say, monthly?

Whats the Budget?

For what it's worth, I spec'd out a PC from Cyberpower PC, saved me some money vs other DAW build sites, basically same cost as individual parts plus $50 to build plus $50 to ship, well worth it for me. Had it for over a year now, zero issues at all.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
Hellsing
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Questions you should ask yourself:

How does your soundcard connect? USB2, USB3, firewire, Thunderbolt....?

What are you doing to make music? Recording instruments through microphones like a band? How many at a time? Are you using virtual synths? Both?

How many TV monitors do you plan to use?

Is PC noise an issue?

How many USB ports do you think you'll need in life to do what you do?

Form factor...? How about CDRW drive?

Hard drive space? How much music are you making say, monthly?

Whats the Budget?

For what it's worth, I spec'd out a PC from Cyberpower PC, saved me some money vs other DAW build sites, basically same cost as individual parts plus $50 to build plus $50 to ship, well worth it for me. Had it for over a year now, zero issues at all.
Good questions indeed. I got answers to most of the them! But that still does not help me choosing e.g cpu and ram size memory :/ And the tech guys at stores does not know what aspects of the cpu that is important when it comes to audio-daw work.

Is it your latest computers spec that is stated in your signature? Maybe that will work as a starting point...Best of all would be if some nice dude just posted a simple spec of a fairly new customized daw computer.

Thanks!
Hellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
grinder
Human being with feelings
 
grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,060
Default

If you plan to be in Audio a long time
get as much RAM as you can I have 32GB
Get a robust Motherboard one to last at least 20 years
Get as many USB type outlet/inlets as possible. The new type is heaps faster than even a USB 3.
Get as many PCIE's in your compute of all types as you can.
If you need Firewire you can get cards that fit to the PCIE's.
Have a robust and strong PSU.
Use a SSD at least for your main drive.

USB is soon to have a faster type I believe, swot up on that
Think ahead a bit.

If you get scared go to a reputable audio computer manufacturer.
I know they have to make a profit but they also have the experience.
Two I have used in the past are
USA https://www.adkproaudio.com/ContactUs
Australia https://www.aavimt.com.au/
Audio Computer firms are pretty decent all round I have not heard a bad thing about any strictly audio computer firms.
Has anyone?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Iokanaan
Human being with feelings
 
Iokanaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nemours (Paris), France
Posts: 235
Default

I am in the same position (planning to build a new computer). One of the main questions I'm wondering is : to have the best performances, is it better to have a CPU with more cores, or the highest frequency ? Because AMD is currently releasing CPUs which are far better than the intel ones in multi-thread apps, but which remain less efficient in apps mainly based on one core and which are more frequency oriented. And I need the best performances possible in Reaper, mixing and real time FX.
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 AM   #6
Hellsing
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iokanaan View Post
I am in the same position (planning to build a new computer). One of the main questions I'm wondering is : to have the best performances, is it better to have a CPU with more cores, or the highest frequency ? Because AMD is currently releasing CPUs which are far better than the intel ones in multi-thread apps, but which remain less efficient in apps mainly based on one core and which are more frequency oriented. And I need the best performances possible in Reaper, mixing and real time FX.
Here is a clip that might help u out. I saw some clips regarding DAW-computers and realized I need to consider other stuff compared to buying a solid home computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFL3wOfPx9s&t=195s

And thanks everyone for the input. I'll post my setup in the forum when Im done finding all parts so other people can save some time
Hellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iokanaan View Post
I am in the same position (planning to build a new computer). One of the main questions I'm wondering is : to have the best performances, is it better to have a CPU with more cores, or the highest frequency ? Because AMD is currently releasing CPUs which are far better than the intel ones in multi-thread apps, but which remain less efficient in apps mainly based on one core and which are more frequency oriented. And I need the best performances possible in Reaper, mixing and real time FX.
Again, you need to ask yourself those questions and post the answers for the best help. For instance, if you're doing live recording, faster CPU speed is paramount. But, if you're using many VST synths mostly and midi, RAM is more important. if you're mostly mixing/mastering songs and albums, then you would also consider more cores. This is just one area of consideration among all the rest.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsing View Post
Good questions indeed. I got answers to most of the them! But that still does not help me choosing e.g cpu and ram size memory :/ And the tech guys at stores does not know what aspects of the cpu that is important when it comes to audio-daw work.

Is it your latest computers spec that is stated in your signature? Maybe that will work as a starting point...Best of all would be if some nice dude just posted a simple spec of a fairly new customized daw computer.

Thanks!
Yes this is the PC I bought last year. Live recording is my main purpose so I got the fastest cpu I could afford and overclocked it. I mix a lot also so I needed stable but fast performance. I planned on making beats so I got 32gb ram. I got lots of USB ports for all my devices, and hard drives to match my storage/performance needs. Liquid cooling and sound dampening for quiet operation. And a large form factor for planned upgrades, additional hard drives or bay devices. In hindsight I should have gotten a motherboard with native thunderbolt support, but that isn't really necessary at this point in time.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 5,Motu 828es,MJE Hulk 990,GAP Pre73/EQ81
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
Iokanaan
Human being with feelings
 
Iokanaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nemours (Paris), France
Posts: 235
Default

Thank you very much for the replies.
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.