Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
percy main
Human being with feelings

Default Voxengo latency delay plugin question

Do I need to use this or is this done automatically in reaper?
My audio device buffer size is set to 128 (M audio fast track pro)

Found here
https://www.voxengo.com/product/latencydelay/
percy main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #2
technogremlin

From the Voxengo page:

Quote:
Latency Delay is an auxiliary AAX, AudioUnit and VST audio plugin which allows you to compensate latency produced by any audio plugins, instruments and processes which produce latency but do not try to report it to the host audio application.
Every host that I know of compensates for plugin latency IF it is reported by the plugin. Only if you use a plugin that doesn't do that, you might use Voxengo latency delay to work around that.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
percy main

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
From the Voxengo page:

Every host that I know of compensates for plugin latency IF it is reported by the plugin. Only if you use a plugin that doesn't do that, you might use Voxengo latency delay to work around that.
What does "reported by the plug-in" mean?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

In order for Reaper to compensate plugin latency, the plugin itself has to tell Reaper that it creates latency, and how much. Most plugins do report that accurately, but some don’t. It’s gonna be up to you to figure out for each plugin. With long latency, it’ll be easy to tell it’s there, but if it’s just a few samples, that can be tough (and I guess might not even matter) unless it’s mixing with an undelayed version of itself and causing comb filtering or something. There are ways to test and figure out exactly how much latency a plugin does cause. Once you figure that out, you can tell this Voxengo plug, and it’s magically fixed. Except this thing adds a bunch of latency to begin with, and best I can tell can only adjust for up to 1000 samples. JS Time Adjustment Delay set to negative times does the same job, but without adding its own delay. That delay of course gets compensated anyway, but that kind of only helps with static playback. Any real-time changes you make to the track - FX tweaks, fader moves... - will still be delayed. There’s no good point in adding any more than absolutely necessary.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:29 AM   #5
technogremlin

Every time I come across a latency delay plugin I'm thinking 'this could be useful to have -in case of-'....... however, in all the years I'm recording with Reaper I never had the need, and I've used some pretty erratic plugins over time (synthedit stuff anyone?).

So bottom line: you probably don't need it anyway
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:39 AM   #6
bigjoe

Hi,
this is a pretty old plugin...i remember using this or Time Adjust in ProTools about ten years ago (when PT does'nt compensate for RTAS plugin latency and you had to do it manually).
Nowdays even free plugins report their latency and all DAWs have plugin latency compensation.
In the last 4 years i never really needed to compensate manually for plugin latency.
This plugin is still usefull for phase/time alignment (if you know how to do it with a Goniometer/lissajous).
But even for that task nowdays we have dedicated plugins.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
percy main

Hi
Thanks to everybody for all the informative explanations.
It's there if I ever need it, but it appears that things have moved on somewhat since it was created.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
serr

The js time adjuster plugin will let you enter negative samples and do this for you.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote