Default v6.37rc2 - September 28 2021

v6.37rc2 - September 28 2021
* Includes feature branch: multichannel, multi-mono, multi-stereo ReaPlugs
* Includes feature branch: ReaLimit and render limiting
* Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
+ FX: add action to toggle delta solo for last focused fx
+ MIDI editor: improve macOS menu behavior with note name editing
# FX: fix pin connector button positioning with display scaling
# FX: list delta solo parameter before bypass and wet/dry mix, for backwards compatibility with existing ReaScripts [p=2484415]
# FX: pin connect window supports macOS retina

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
# FX: list delta solo parameter before bypass and wet/dry mix, for backwards compatibility with existing ReaScripts
This in turn will break FX mappings that have hardcoded the Bypass and Wet parameters based on parameter value. For instance, every CSI plugin mapping that has mapped wet and bypass will now be off by one. I'm not sure how ReaLearn stores mappings, but those could also be impacted.

I've got over two hundred CSI FX.zon files where adding +1 to the FXParam value will break the mappings wherever I used Reaper's Bypass and Wet, which is a lot. I know of several other CSI users with lots and lots of fx mappings.

Adding things to the middle of the param list is a bad idea IMO, much safer to add to the end of the list like you originally did. I'm guessing that any scripts that look for wet to be the "Last Parameter" could be more easily modified to use "Last Parameter -1" than potentially impacting everyone else that may have used FXParam based mappings.

Just my two cents. I'd ask you to consider reverting that one.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:35 AM   #3
helgoboss

Good point, Funkybot. Would affect ReaLearn as well. It addresses the parameter by its index starting from zero, just like CSI.

I have to admit that the "index of last parameter - x" way of addressing wet/bypass might have been a smarter approach, considering that REAPER has support for dynamically growing/shrinking parameter lists. However, even that approach wouldn't suffice to correctly handle growing/shrinking parameter lists, it would only help in addressing these special parameters. Not sure, I would assume that most script developers took the "start from zero" approach ...?

@justin @schwa Do you have any recommendation for extension/ReaScript devs how to address the special parameters in future in order to avoid such backward compatibility issues?
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:10 AM   #4
elcalen

Has something changed recently with the readouts in ReaComp's gain reduction meter? Seems like the number readout at the top is jumping about in a weird fashion (like it's only peaking every so often) and generally showing lower readings than where the actual bar graphic seems to be.

I first noticed something was weird when doing a kick sidechain in dev0924 and while the bar graph was moving as expected with every hit, the number only went up once every few hits...

(On Linux, though I don't feel that should be relevant here.)
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:11 AM   #5
lb0

I agree that the move of Delta to before the Wet/Bypass is likely to create more problems than adding to the end - at least for me.

As mentioned - with this latest change - every single strip in Stripper and Smart Knobs - that has assigned those parameters is going to be incorrect and will need reassignment.

I had already updated my code to deal with the Delta at the end - and that was much easier than dealing with it now.

I appreciate that putting it at the end or the beginning of the dynamic parameters is likely to cause different issues - but this new change (moving it before the Bypass/Wet parameters is going to cause far more issues - which will be far more difficult to solve (for me) as all existing mappings to those parameters are now broken - whereas having the Delta at the end did not cause any issues - as the explicit parameter number was stored (I do not treat the Bypass/Wet parameters any different to the main plugin parameters) - rather than relative to the end.

Personally - I would MUCH prefer having the Delta (and any future new parameters) added to the end.

Last edited by lb0; 09-29-2021 at 01:22 AM.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:19 AM   #6
Berg

Default Problem with ARM64 beta version

Hi there,

I've have been testing the beta for ARM64 for a long time and I have this message each time I launch the Reaper and the RAM used is huge about 1124 MB for an empty project (no problem with 6.36 ARM 64 version) :

There were 1 items in the project that were saved by extensions. If you save this project without those extensions installed, you may lose those extensions' data.

Project tokens not recognized:

SWSAUTOCOLOR

Any idea how to solve that?
Thanks
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 AM   #7
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
Hi there,

I've have been testing the beta for ARM64 for a long time and I have this message each time I launch the Reaper and the RAM used is huge about 1124 MB for an empty project (no problem with 6.36 ARM 64 version) :

There were 1 items in the project that were saved by extensions. If you save this project without those extensions installed, you may lose those extensions' data.

Project tokens not recognized:

SWSAUTOCOLOR

Any idea how to solve that?
Thanks
Are you using the arm64 sws lib, too?
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:35 AM   #8
Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Are you using the arm64 sws lib, too?
Yes, I am using the arm64sws lib. The SWS menu does not load.

Last edited by Berg; 09-29-2021 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:56 AM   #9
heda

oh.. ok. so we break backwards compatibility in any case.

Maybe a new API function to directly get the wet parameter or bypass or delta would be useful

storing parameters as number id is not a good idea in any case because plugin developers can also change their parameters. It doesn't only affect the wet parameter. It is not the first time I had to change all the ids to get parameters of new versions of a plugin. But I guess referencing by number id is the fastest way.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #10
mpl

Get Wet parameter + name validating should solve "paramID=GetNumParams" issue, no?
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #11
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
Yes, I am using the arm64sws lib. The SWS menu does not load.
Maybe it's an extended attrs issue, have you tried
Code:
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /path/to/sws,dylib
?
Old 09-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #12
Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Maybe it's an extended attrs issue, have you tried
Code:
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /path/to/sws,dylib
?
problem solved, the installed ARM beta version was not correct. Thanks
Old 09-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #13
sockmonkey72

Just wanted to follow up that I'm still seeing the Media Explorer become active without being requested on my macOS 10.15 system. This time it was when pressing the backspace key to delete a bunch of items on a track. As in Select All, Backspace. Even after changing back to the mixer and undoing the delete, I could reproduce the ME opening unbidden by pressing delete again.

Of course, the problem went away after I stopped undoing/deleting. But there appears to be a gremlin in the works. I'm sorry that I still don't have a foolproof reproduction sequence.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:37 AM   #14
chmaha

Regarding LRA value mismatches I think a larger problem is that even when transport is stopped the values in the JSFX meter are still being read for a few seconds (compared to all the values immediately freezing on stop with Youlean) leading to some crazy differences: https://i.imgur.com/mH1i0Px.png. Up until just before stopping, the values are very close. It probably goes without saying that I feel like the correct behavior for the JSFX loudness meter should be to also freeze all numerical values and graphical meters on stop.

Last edited by chmaha; 09-30-2021 at 02:43 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:02 AM   #15
heda

I agree. I think all loudness meter plugins have a sync to play/stop transport option.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:14 AM   #16
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I agree. I think all loudness meter plugins have a sync to play/stop transport option.
+1. That's the way to do it IMO. Both options can be useful, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:45 AM   #17
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Adding things to the middle of the param list is a bad idea IMO, much safer to add to the end of the list like you originally did. I'm guessing that any scripts that look for wet to be the "Last Parameter" could be more easily modified to use "Last Parameter -1" than potentially impacting everyone else that may have used FXParam based mappings.

Just my two cents. I'd ask you to consider reverting that one.
Totally supporting this request for the mentioned reasons.