Old 12-31-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Baggage
Human being with feelings

Default Separate channels for Reainsert?

I'm having a problem trying to root 2 separate channels to outboard gear using reinsert.

One channel is for vocals which works fine using reainsert. It is routed out of channel 3 to a hardware compressor and back into channel 4 on my RME ff800.

However, when I try to route another channel (acoustic guitar) It affects my vocal channel. The routing is: out of channel 2 to hardware EQ and back into channel 5.

I'm using Reinsert on both channels/tracks, but trying to get these to work simultaneously is causing a feedback/echo in the vocal channel, and low output in the AC channel.

When I turn off the Reinsert on the AC channel, the Reinsert on the vocal channel works perfectly again.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Baggage; 01-01-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Baggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Baggage

after some more trouble shooting I've found that it only works when routing from output 3 >compressor>input 4 (the vocal routing).

...but when routing from output 2>hardware>input 5 (AC guitar routing) it creates feedback. The feedback goes away at lower volume and gets worse when I turn up the fader or the gain.

I then swapped the cables that routed the AC guitar to the input/output used for vocals and all worked fine.

Any clue to why the AC guitar routing doesn't work? I set it up the same way as the Vocal path, but can't figure out why this feedback is happening.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Baggage

Anybody with advice?
Old 01-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
domzy

when you say "output 2", that's not one of your main output pair is it? Have you tried another output? Are you using TotalMix - have you checked your routing there?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Baggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
when you say "output 2", that's not one of your main output pair is it? Have you tried another output? Are you using TotalMix - have you checked your routing there?
Thanks for the reply. My main outputs are 7 and 8 on my RME for my monitors. I have not checked my Total Mix. I'll take a look at that, but I find it a bit confusing. Is there something I should look for in total mix?

Where do I check in Reaper to see if output 2 might be used as a main output?
Old 01-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
rothchild

Turn off/down all the input monitoring in totalmix (well at least the stuff that has hardware attached to it via reainsert).

Is there a particular reason that you've offset the inputs and the outputs?

I find it easier (and tidier) to have things routed 'top to bottom' so OUT3 would go to the compressor and return to IN3 (same for the EQ I'd patch it OUT2 to IN2). I appreciate the computer doesn't care but it keeps things more simple for my idiot brain!
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
Baggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
Turn off/down all the input monitoring in totalmix (well at least the stuff that has hardware attached to it via reainsert).

Is there a particular reason that you've offset the inputs and the outputs?

I find it easier (and tidier) to have things routed 'top to bottom' so OUT3 would go to the compressor and return to IN3 (same for the EQ I'd patch it OUT2 to IN2). I appreciate the computer doesn't care but it keeps things more simple for my idiot brain!
Thank you for the reply.

So, in Total Mix, only leave output 7(left monitor) and 8(right monitor) up on the TM faders?

...one other question on Total Mix: is it easier to keep each channel in mono, such as 1 or 2 etc. than in stereo, 1/2 or 3/4?
My thinking is keeping everything mono is easier since I'm keeping it in mono in Reaper.

The only reason I have the i/o offset is the other i/o's are in use for another project that I didn't want to mess with. Admittedly, its a sloppy workflow, and keeping it consistent (o2>hardware>i2) does make more sense.

So the root of my problem sounds like it's in Total Mix, correct? Is it me or is Total Mix confusing? I've been using it for a while now and I still get stumped on how it works with Reaper.

Last edited by Baggage; 01-02-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:37 AM   #8
rothchild

Yeah, it seems that way.

With Reainsert you don't need total mix (and indeed you need to make sure it's 'out of the way' else you may get phasing / feedback as the signal is being sent to the monitors by both reainsert/reaper and TM).

TM is pretty straightforward, I always use it in 'submix' mode (as opposed to 'free') so when you select a hardware output in the bottom row it shows you the input / monitoring mix for that output on the top row. The inputs are all turned down for every channel in TM in my setup (as I use input monitoring in Reaper as well as reainsert).

It doesn't matter if the channels in TM are set to stereo or mono, you can still address them individually from Reaper.

So, basically, all the outputs (bottom row) in TM should be turned up and all the inputs (top row) should be turned down. Then it should just be a matter of addressing them from Reaper.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Baggage

Quote:
Yeah, it seems that way.

With Reainsert you don't need total mix (and indeed you need to make sure it's 'out of the way' else you may get phasing / feedback as the signal is being sent to the monitors by both reainsert/reaper and TM).

TM is pretty straightforward, I always use it in 'submix' mode (as opposed to 'free') so when you select a hardware output in the bottom row it shows you the input / monitoring mix for that output on the top row. The inputs are all turned down for every channel in TM in my setup (as I use input monitoring in Reaper as well as reainsert).

It doesn't matter if the channels in TM are set to stereo or mono, you can still address them individually from Reaper.

So, basically, all the outputs (bottom row) in TM should be turned up and all the inputs (top row) should be turned down. Then it should just be a matter of addressing them from Reaper.
Rothschild, thanks! The feed back is now gone after turning down the TM inputs. However, Ive stumbled onto another issue. I've lost panning ability since I've been using the reinsert, and it appears to be global. All of my Reaper tracks are set to mono. Before applying reainsert I could pan L/R and all was fine. Now when I pan it just seems to turn the volume down on one side, but not pan. The only place where the pan works properly is on the main output fader in TM. (should I start another thread on this?)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
rothchild

Glad to have been able to help.

I think you need to clear up a bit more about what you expect the panning to to as to my mind a mono track panned hard right 'is' just turning the volume in the left channel down (notwithstanding pan laws etc).

What was it doing before?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #11
Baggage

Quote:
Glad to have been able to help.

I think you need to clear up a bit more about what you expect the panning to to as to my mind a mono track panned hard right 'is' just turning the volume in the left channel down (notwithstanding pan laws etc).

What was it doing before?
The panning issue has mysteriously disappeared after rebooting Reaper. Thanks for getting back.