Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default anyone? record what you ear == original recording?

i mean! imagine i have a flac playing , if i record what you ear will i loose anything?

or if i am on youtube and record what you ear. Will it be equal as if i would download the mp3?

Thank you
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
karbomusic

It should be the same assuming the file you record to is lossless. The main difference between streaming and downloading is the file can begin playing without waiting for the entire file to download first. The only exception I can think of is reencoding by the server as part of the streaming (instead of transcoding the file as part of the original upload) but that's still "what you hear".
Old 11-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It should be the same assuming the file you record to is lossless. The main difference between streaming and downloading is the file can begin playing without waiting for the entire file to download first. The only exception I can think of is reencoding by the server as part of the streaming (instead of transcoding the file as part of the original upload) but that's still "what you hear".
Nice Karbo! Again ..
Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
DVDdoug

It might be resampled, you might have drivers/utilities that add effects or "enhance" the sound, and the playback volume control will affect "what you hear" and what you record. And of course, if your computer "beeps" or makes other sounds, those sounds will be mixed-in.

WASAPI Loopback avoids some of these issues (at least playback volume doesn't affect recording volume) but I'm not sure that it's "digitally perfect".

Quote:
or if i am on youtube and record what you ear. Will it be equal as if i would download the mp3?
If you record an MP3 (or other lossy format) while playing, it's been decompressed for playback, If make a new MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compression. (If you save in a lossless format, that's not an issue.)

YouTube isn't MP3, so it will be "different". I'd guess that a legitimate MP3 purchased from Amazon, etc., would have better quality.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post

WASAPI Loopback avoids some of these issues (at least playback volume doesn't affect recording volume) but I'm not sure that it's "digitally perfect".
i see ! should be the same on OSX with Soundflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
If you record an MP3 (or other lossy format) while playing, it's been decompressed for playback, If make a new MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compression. (If you save in a lossless format, that's not an issue.)
okok! the point is to sample in wav 16 bit , or should be 24? so this won't apply right? or at least the best possible for reusing it on Reaper.

What should be the best way to sample sounds from a movie?

I have an RME 400 . You think if i connect 1 output from my sound card to an input you think I might have better sampling results?
I'd prefer not being dependent of this , but if i get better results i will do this.

Thanks