Old 12-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Teddy Shredding'em
Human being with feelings

Default Updated Waves Plugins- Reaper Can't Find Them...

I recently updated my Waves plugins to v12 and after firing up Reaper it detected some new Waves shell things on startup- but now they've all disappeared from the FX browser! Any instances already present on my mixes are showing up on red on respective FX chains and cannot be opened. I also downloaded the free echosphere reverb plugin at the same time, but I don't think that it is the issue. I've tried clearing the cache and re-scanning in the VST settings of Reaper, but to no avail. Can anybody help me?
Teddy Shredding'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
airon

I use the same stuff and have v11, v10 and v9 plugins as well.

It might pay to clean off Waves and reinstall the stuff.

Make sure to copy your Waves-presets first. A quick Google search will reveal where all the data you want to save and restore is, and what to just delete alltogether.

I've had to do that once so far, and I may again once another project is complete here.

Save presets, uninstall, cleanup files, reinstall with Waves Central. Remember to grab those offline installers for v9,10&11 via Waves Central.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #3
nait

Maybe try the "repair" option in the settings of Waves Central before anything else? That tends to fix things, especially when you go between versions.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.https://soundcloud.com/nullref
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
Teddy Shredding'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Maybe try the "repair" option in the settings of Waves Central before anything else? That tends to fix things, especially when you go between versions.
Thanks for the suggestion, didn't work unfortunately. Reaper re-scanned all my plugins on startup, but the same problem persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I use the same stuff and have v11, v10 and v9 plugins as well.

It might pay to clean off Waves and reinstall the stuff.

Make sure to copy your Waves-presets first. A quick Google search will reveal where all the data you want to save and restore is, and what to just delete alltogether.

I've had to do that once so far, and I may again once another project is complete here.

Save presets, uninstall, cleanup files, reinstall with Waves Central. Remember to grab those offline installers for v9,10&11 via Waves Central.
Cheers, looks like I'll have to resort to doing this...
Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
ivansc

Boy oh boy.
Did you try doing an actual CLEAR/Re-scan instead o f just a re-scan?
Because of waves` shell system, this often leads reaper to not "see" any change in the waves plugins because the actual change when installing a new plugin happens within the shell folders, which of course remain unchanged to reaper unless you actually make reaper clear its plugin cache and start again from scratch.

Minimal effort on your part & will usually fix the sort of problem you are reporting.
One other thought: You ARE using Waves Central app to do your installs,, aren`t you?

If this all fails, yes indeed, uninstall the lot and at the same time make sure you havent missed any hidden waves folders or files.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #6
Teddy Shredding'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Boy oh boy.
Did you try doing an actual CLEAR/Re-scan instead o f just a re-scan?
Because of waves` shell system, this often leads reaper to not "see" any change in the waves plugins because the actual change when installing a new plugin happens within the shell folders, which of course remain unchanged to reaper unless you actually make reaper clear its plugin cache and start again from scratch.

Minimal effort on your part & will usually fix the sort of problem you are reporting.
One other thought: You ARE using Waves Central app to do your installs,, aren`t you?

If this all fails, yes indeed, uninstall the lot and at the same time make sure you havent missed any hidden waves folders or files.
Yes I made sure to do a clear/rescan, and yes I am using Waves Central to do my installs. I guess I'm just gonna have to locate and delete all the files... What a pain.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:09 AM   #7
ivansc

Shit happens. FWIW I just accidentally deleted one of the WavesShells from my system & because it was permanently deleted, I will probably have to do the same uninstall/reinstall deal.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
hedgehogbrown

i tried the usual delete and rescan thing a few times and i needed to get into some old sessions urgently. the fastest way i could get into one was just to open the .rpp file in the text editor and do a find and replace to replace waves shell v11 to waves shell v12 (look at file for exact name) and just hit replace all.

amazingly, that worked.
hedgehogbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #9
Heart Doctor

Default Waves system folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I just accidentally deleted one of the WavesShells from my system & because it was permanently deleted, I will probably have to do the same uninstall/reinstall deal.
This may not be necessary because Waves Central always puts two copies of each Waveshell onto your hard disk.

In case of Windows 10 (64 bit), Waveshells are placed in the following folders:
  • c:\Program Files\VstPlugins (dll files; 64 bit VST versions)
  • c:\Program Files\Common Files\Vst3 (vst3 files; 64 bit VST3 versions)
  • Two similar folders in c:\Program Files (x86) for 32 bit versions.

I assume that you have deleted the missing Waveshell in one of these folders. If this is the case, have a look at the folder c:\Program Files (x86)\Waves.

Note that this folder is marked as a system folder. This means, you must instruct Windows Explorer to show system files, otherwise the folder will not be shown.

The Waves system folder contains subfolders named "WaveShells V9", "WaveShells V10", etc. Each of these folders contains a collection of Waveshells in several formats. You should be able to find the missing Waveshell here.

Simply copy the missing Waveshell to your original VST or VST3 folder that will be scanned by REAPER, and everything should be fine again.

NOTE: Do not point REAPER to the Waves\Waveshells subfolders for plugin scanning. These folders are intended as a backup in case you delete a Waveshell somewhere else. In addition, these folders contain other *.dll files that are not audio plugins; this means that REAPER may crash during scanning.
Heart Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #10
bunky_boy

Default Waves plug ins nightmare

So like a fool I went for some Waves free stuff and now Waves plugins don't work my ReelADT doesn't load along about three other plug ins won't load and Reaper is now crashing on start-up.
I've seen and tried all the offered solutions and nothing has worked. This making my Reaper experience a very unpleasant one.
Yes I did that.
Yes I did that too.
I've tried it all and so far no one has a solution.
Gonna have to dump Reaper and Waves too.
Just sad.
bunky_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:19 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart Doctor View Post
This may not be necessary because Waves Central always puts two copies of each Waveshell onto your hard disk.
My hero to the rescue as usual! Thanks again, Doc.

And to the rest of you: This chap/chapess taught me everything I know about dealing with Waves, so follow his advice.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
Kalysionist

Default Waves Plugins Crashing Reaper

Greetings all! Newbie here so first off I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place!

Ivansc I feel your pain. Did you get sorted?? Been using reaper for about 3 years now and I love it, - until this week, (though I suspect it's not Reaper that's the issue). I bought, (idiot!), quite a few Waves plugins and this is what happens when I try to use them:

They appear in my FX list - no problem.
I can add them to an insert on any track - no problem.
When I first insert them the GUI is fine and I can alter the plugin parameters - no problem.

BUT, when I then go back to a Waves plugin and try to open it again to adjust parameters, the GUI displays as a blank white window, REAPER also stops responding and also'whites out'. I have to CTRL-ALT-DLT to force shut down.

This happens with all my Waves plugins, all other plugins work perfectly. It's a real pain in the a**se and renders them almost unusable. If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful!

HEADS UP - I'm a half decent musician but a very much less than half decent computer tech!!

All plugins have been loaded using Waves Central, all V12. I've scoured the Waves website and troubleshooter and there's nothing there that helps. I've also done a clear cache/re-scan.
Kalysionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:34 AM   #13
ivansc

Waves only officially supports their VST3/3i plugins within Reaper, but since these are recent purchases, talk to Waves about it.

They are pretty accommodating as a rule. Especially if you just bought them!
Old 02-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #14
Kalysionist

Thank you! Iíll drop them an e-Mail and keep you posted 🤞
Old 05-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #15
Kalysionist

Default Waves Crashing Issue Sorted!1

Greetings all! Well itís taken a while but I finally got to the bottom of the issue Iím having with Waves crashing my projects thanks to a friend being able to come round and dive into all sorts of computer code as the issue was occurring, (heís IT director for a major international bank so he knows his s**t!) Anyway, I thought Iíd post in case it helps anyone else out. Iím running a dual monitor set-up using 2 identical monitors - same make, model and name, - and thatís the problem. When I try to open a Waves plugin (any Waves plugin, doesnít matter which one), that I have inserted on a track, Waves gets confused as to which monitor to display the GUI on. If it gets it right the GUI loads, if it gets it wrong, (tries to open the GUI on the wrong monitor), thatís when the plugin freezes and Reaper crashes. This is definitely a Waves issue, all other plugins regardless of manufacturer, work first time every time all the time. So thatís the good news, weíve found the problem.

The bad news is that there is no way to rename the monitors so, thereís no easy fix short of Waves sorting it at their end. There are 3 potential solutions, 1) use a single monitor set up, 2) but another monitor which is a different/make model so that poor old Waves doesnít get confused, (although this may not solve it - Iíd have to try it to find out), or 3) buy a super wide screen monitor so that you have the same screen area to play with that 2 monitors would give you but Waves only sees 1 monitor.

I hope that at least if there is anyone else with the same monitor set up experiencing the same issues you can at least now stop banging your head against the wall wondering what the hell is going on!