Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-18-2021, 03:37 AM   #1
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Default Can Linux audio docs please be written in Aramaic?

Fucking hell. I am about at wits end with this system.

Would someone please conjure a fucking easy to understand point a to point z while holding your hand prodcedure to set up jack, alsa, to the DAW software, while at the same time point me to another on how to actually set up the back end?

I swear the people who work on the linux coding have never seen another person in their life. Ive never seen so many holes and incomplete documentation, while having to guess at half of whats being spoken about.

Simple, I am running OpenSUSE, no I am not changing it because it is the only one that Big Tech has not compromised yet.

For my interface I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 NON DSP
I alsop have a Behringer ADA8000 to light pipe into the Focusrite to expand channels if necessary.
The Saffire is firewire so I have a TI firewire card pci-e

my system is a lenovo k450e 20 gig ram, running 4T worth of drive space.

Would someone please inform me how to get the OS to talk to the hardware for input please?

I have used the settings that are on linuxmusicians.com and none of them work, ask people there, just read the wki. I did and its not working thats why I m asking. Oh well I use blah distro i dunno poof. Thats been my treatment across about 5 boards. I figure I could ask this place because if I cannot I am giving up entirely.

I will not try another distro, I already did that Manjaro's community was lets say less than offensively unwelcoming.
UnmbuntuStudio came with a virus which took out three drives of mine. like took out the machine coding to the drives they are paperweights. I refuse to return to Pedophile Gates system. I just want to bew able to record ideas and not have to have a damn electrical engineering degree to plug a guitar to a computer open a application press record and play this is getting stupid.

Also if I dont answer its because I do not spend much trime online anymore. I will update my contact info in my profile to where if you reply drop me a line so I will know to come and look at this..I would appreciate it.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:59 AM   #2
rothchild
Human being with feelings

Looks like for a firewire based card you need FFADO installed and working

http://www.ffado.org/info/faq/

Chances are you should be able to install it through OpenSUSE's package manager.

This should alow ALSA (the underlying hardware / software interface for sound devices in Linux) to 'see' your card. This may be enough to get Reaper running with audio (just select the ALSA driver in the audio interface settings).

If you have a more complex set of needs then you might also need to look at JACK (essentially a patchbay that sits over ALSA and gives flexible routing between different audio applications).
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:17 AM   #3
rothchild
Human being with feelings

I saw this thread: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=21781

And thought it might help you.

Not much of it is very particular to the RME card, as it's also supported by FFDAO, but it does give some useful tips and pointers as to what you need installed and what you can do to test if you've got your firewire based card working.
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote