Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
jmurra21
Human being with feelings

Default How can I temporarily mute my mic without stopping recording?

I'm on a podcast, and I also edit it.

I need to find a way to mute the mic input via Reaper without pausing, stopping, or interrupting the recording at all.

I cough, a lot. Deeply. I do turn my head away, but that's way not enough.

System -
Windows 10 64bit, 16 gb, 4TB HD, rtx 2060.
USB Blue Snowball Ice.

There's no way I currently know how. And switching to a more expensive model with it built in is not an option (recently deemed disabled... And now things are much more expensive).

I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks.
jmurra21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
Fergler

Create a another track and set it's input to Virtual MIDI Keyboard, record arm & monitor the track.

Right click it's record arm button and set it to Record: disable (monitoring only)

Make this track a child of the mic track

Right click the record arm button on your mic track and select Track Input FX Chain

Place ReaEQ on the track and drag the volume slider on the right all the way down.

Toggle the bypass (top right corner next to wet control) on and off

Go to Param, which should now say Last Touched: [Bypass], and select MIDI Link > Note > 60 (c4)

Set Baseline all the way to the right and scale all the way to the left
https://i.imgur.com/ILmuMhO.png

Enable the onscreen virtual keyboard ("View: show virtual MIDI keyboard" in actions list)

Right click in the blank gray space of the MIDI keyboard and select "Send all keyboard input..."

Locate C4 and right click it

Now, as long as that keyboard is open, the Q key is going to mute your microphone input.

Yes, it is a bit sadistic.

Short method

Own a MIDI controller of any sort
Use ReaLearn extension for Reaper to set any MIDI key, CC message, etc to momentary switch for the FX bypass
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
domzy

you could maybe put a plugin as an input fx and use it to mute the signal - even something like ReaEQ with the gain all the way down & you could click bypass to unmute / mute

edit - fergler beat me to it
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
serr

Unless you have changed the recording mode on that vocal track from the default 'record input' to 'record output', muting that track will not interrupt the recording.

If you're doing something like recording track outputs to bake in some of the live production to save time later...
There are options to record automation instead. (eg. record the track volume automation) That would leave you with the mix automated on the mixing board instead of printed into the multitrack.

If that's not acceptable you could make a monitor bus track that you can mute without affecting the source track and recording (and the mix moves you intend to bake in).
serr is offline   Reply With Quote