Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #161
cymbals
Human being with feelings

Kenny, I just wanted to thank you for your work on the videos.

I think I have seen all of them now. It feels like when I binge-watch on Netflix - it is so sad when it is over! i don't have any more Reaper vids to watch now! I hope you find more topics to do more videos on if that is at all possible!

Maybe you could do one on mastering effects, like saturation and some of the other lesser known JS plugins.

Thanks again!
cymbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #162
Funicello3

My first post here...Thank you Kenny for the very helpful videos. I just committed to Reaper as my first real DAW (bought a license) and that decision was greatly influenced by these videos and the supportive Reaper community.

As far as the speech style, I'm finding that it actually helps me concentrate and absorb the material. I can't say how exactly, something about the stops and starts gives me time to consider the point being made and sort of punctuates the narrative.

Thanks again.
Funicello3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #163
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbals View Post
Kenny, I just wanted to thank you for your work on the videos.

I think I have seen all of them now. It feels like when I binge-watch on Netflix - it is so sad when it is over! i don't have any more Reaper vids to watch now! I hope you find more topics to do more videos on if that is at all possible!

Maybe you could do one on mastering effects, like saturation and some of the other lesser known JS plugins.

Thanks again!
You watched ALL of them?
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #164
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funicello3 View Post
My first post here...Thank you Kenny for the very helpful videos. I just committed to Reaper as my first real DAW (bought a license) and that decision was greatly influenced by these videos and the supportive Reaper community.

As far as the speech style, I'm finding that it actually helps me concentrate and absorb the material. I can't say how exactly, something about the stops and starts gives me time to consider the point being made and sort of punctuates the narrative.

Thanks again.
Thank you
Old 12-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #165
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funicello3 View Post
............something about the stops and starts gives me time to consider the point being made and sort of punctuates the narrative.....
Exactly!
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #166
Jordu7

Default Keep going, Kenny!

I'm a newbie on DAWs and I have to figure out a lot of stuff from simple things how to get even the basics done to the more intricate possibilities of Reaper. When I started with Reaper about half a year ago I watched around 30 of Kenny's videos. They are great and are invaluable for me! As a non-native speaker of English I can follow Kenny easily (although I should mention that I lived for 2 years in the US twenty years ago).
Sound and video quality is very good, I like Kenny's clear voice.
Thank you very much, Kenny, for all your work and efforts and kindness for the Reaper community!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #167
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordu7 View Post
I'm a newbie on DAWs and I have to figure out a lot of stuff from simple things how to get even the basics done to the more intricate possibilities of Reaper. When I started with Reaper about half a year ago I watched around 30 of Kenny's videos. They are great and are invaluable for me! As a non-native speaker of English I can follow Kenny easily (although I should mention that I lived for 2 years in the US twenty years ago).
Sound and video quality is very good, I like Kenny's clear voice.
Thank you very much, Kenny, for all your work and efforts and kindness for the Reaper community!
Thank you!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #168
Philbo King

Kenny, I wanted to add my thanks to the many who have already done so.
I've watched all of them, but have gone back for seconds on several.

As a former college teacher of 10 years, I wanted to compliment you on your clear and concise style of getting the point across. It is refreshing to see, after going through a lot of other YouTube tutorials where there is frequent stumbling, talking around the point instead of getting to it, and lots of wasted time.

Many can be teachers, but not all teachers know how to teach. It is amazing you provide this free content to the users. I suspect you are a pretty big reason Reaper is so successful.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #169
europa_man

Default MERRY CHRISTMAS KENNY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
I hope you know about this latest development.

Kenny has released 30 new videos entitled:

Reaper 5 Explained. FREE!

Way to go - Kenny.

Amazing teacher and he keeps on giving to the Reaper community.

Thank you Kenny!

Eric
Thank you Kenny for another year of excellent video tutorials and so much more!
Truly appreciate your valuable time and tremendous effort!
Keep on rockin' in the New Year!

Eric
Nova Scotia
Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #170
vanceen

I evaluated Reaper as a long time SONAR user looking for a new DAW. If not for Kenny's videos, I would probably have given up on Reaper and gone with Studio One. They are well structured and oriented to things that DAW users actually want to do, rather than being oriented to Reaper's default menus (or whatever). Some of the best tutorials I've ever seen, on any subject.
vanceen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #171
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Kenny, I wanted to add my thanks to the many who have already done so.
I've watched all of them, but have gone back for seconds on several.

As a former college teacher of 10 years, I wanted to compliment you on your clear and concise style of getting the point across. It is refreshing to see, after going through a lot of other YouTube tutorials where there is frequent stumbling, talking around the point instead of getting to it, and lots of wasted time.

Many can be teachers, but not all teachers know how to teach. It is amazing you provide this free content to the users. I suspect you are a pretty big reason Reaper is so successful.
Quote:
Thank you Kenny for another year of excellent video tutorials and so much more!
Truly appreciate your valuable time and tremendous effort!
Keep on rockin' in the New Year!

Eric
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
I evaluated Reaper as a long time SONAR user looking for a new DAW. If not for Kenny's videos, I would probably have given up on Reaper and gone with Studio One. They are well structured and oriented to things that DAW users actually want to do, rather than being oriented to Reaper's default menus (or whatever). Some of the best tutorials I've ever seen, on any subject.
Thank you guys soo much. Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #172
Petimar

Well earned praise for Kenny and a big thanks from myself as well!
Petimar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #173
Usta

after watching a lot of kenny's videos I bought reaper (some time ago) and I still go back to check up on some things I want/need to resresh!
Usta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #174
albatteur

Happy New Year, Kenny!

I hope we will learn new tips from you on Reaper V6.
I learnt so much from your free and paid tutos.
My daughter is 9 years old and she likes your voice and the serie "First midi song in Reaper". She's french but I tried to translate your lessons and she understood the concept of midi. Now she can play with his Yamaha midi piano in Reaper and record tracks. So funny .
Thx for your great job.
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #175
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatteur View Post
Happy New Year, Kenny!

I hope we will learn new tips from you on Reaper V6.
I learnt so much from your free and paid tutos.
My daughter is 9 years old and she likes your voice and the serie "First midi song in Reaper". She's french but I tried to translate your lessons and she understood the concept of midi. Now she can play with his Yamaha midi piano in Reaper and record tracks. So funny .
Thx for your great job.
Awesome!!! Thanks
Old 01-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #176
NoviceOldGuy

Default Kudos for Kenny's videos

Hi all -
My first post here.
One of the things that attracted me to Reaper was the massive amounts of free video tutorial info from Kenny G.

So many videos covering so many aspects of recording in Reaper.
Very helpful,
Thanks again,.
NoviceOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #177
Teunis

Kenny, thanks so much for the Reaper videos. I am one of many long time Sonar users looking for a new home (DAW). I downloaded Reaper to have a look about 10 days ago. Subsequently I have become cross eyed going through quite a number of your videos. I have learnt a lot not only about Reaper but also some different slants on mixing and more. Anyway in less than two weeks the upshot is I have purchased Reaper and feel pretty good about things. Thanks to you Kenny.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 02-21-2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Teunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #178
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceOldGuy View Post
Hi all -
My first post here.
One of the things that attracted me to Reaper was the massive amounts of free video tutorial info from Kenny G.

So many videos covering so many aspects of recording in Reaper.
Very helpful,
Thanks again,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teunis View Post
Kenny, thanks so much for the Reaper videos. I am one of many long time Sonar users looking for a new home (DAW). I downloaded Reaper to have a look about 10 days ago. Subsequently I have become cross eyed going through quite a number of your videos. I have learnt a lot not only about Reaper but also some different slants on mixing and more. Anyway in less than two weeks the upshot is I have purchased Reaper and feel pretty good about things. Thanks to you Kenny.

Tony
Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #179
S.L.I.P.

Thank you so much for the videos, they are really great!
S.L.I.P. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #180
Luster

Dear Kenny!

First: Thanks also from my side for all those videos. It's a helpful way to get into the software.

Now my problem/critic: I know you have to explain stuff in the most easy way so even a music / tech / DAW / software / whatever noob has a chance to understand and yes you are brilliant with your way. But. I just watched the "Setting the LUFS level" and honestly I believe you should take this down and do another one. It's so over-generalized that some information is just false. And that's not good. Because those guys who are new in town now believe RMS is LUFS - Kenny told them! You have a responsibility here. In concrete:
  • Point out that RMS and LUFS might fall in the same ballpark from numbers but LUFS has way more advanced maths under the hood. Just give the hint: EBU R-128 documents. So people who are interested can read later and everyone else is at least aware.
  • For fairness just give links (or at least mention them) to the most common other free loundness meter plugins
  • That TP in your example and the fact that you ignore it troubles me. Why not recommend -1 dB TP (=ceiling in your limiter, but at the end this limiter isn't oversampling so it's still a broken thing)? It doesn't hurt.
Correcting this wouldn't make a new video more complex but precise like it needs to be.

To end it with a joke (so I don't get bullied because I criticized our video god ) :
In Germany there is this saying "Wer misst, misst Mist." Something like "Who measures, measures bullshit." It's either the human error, system error or noise which compromises the measurement and you should be aware of those factors.

Last edited by Luster; 02-26-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #181
stickman393

Default Thanks Kenny

Kenny -

I would just like to add my "Thanks" to the chorus here.
Your videos are a fantastic resource, and are enabling me to get up to speed with Reaper.

Thank you.
stickman393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #182
europa_man

Default New Videos Keep On Coming!

Quote:

Way to go - Kenny.

Thank you Kenny!

Eric
It's been a while since I wrote the original post.

I just wanted to thank Kenny again for all new videos he keeps turning out.
All excellent tutorials that are so informative.

Also don't forget the series "Mixing in Reel Time" all performed in Reaper.
Love it!

I've been going through it a 2nd time and still gleaning new tricks & techniques.

Really appreciate all time & effort and experience that we are receiving.

Eric
Old 04-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #183
Kenny Gioia

Thanks Eric!!!
Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #184
benf

Thank you Kenny for all your great stuff !
I give you a special thumbs up because of your pronunciation that is very good and make me -poor little french man - understand very well your explanations.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #185
D Rocks

Hey

Thanks so much Kenny. Just letting you know that you are part of convincing me to buy Reaper recently.

I learned so much from you by seeing the idea and function then testing myself.

In the end I watched almost every video you have on YouTube. Then I bought your course on Mixing (Mixing in Reel time)

Dude, if you ever doubt of being gifted for teaching, I confirm that you are.

Thanks ALOT
Old 04-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #186
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Thank you Kenny for all your great stuff !
I give you a special thumbs up because of your pronunciation that is very good and make me -poor little french man - understand very well your explanations.
That actually means a lot to me.

The only negative comments I get (and they are a very small minority) are about my speech pattern.

I talk slower and in shorter phrases so I can say each word clearer given my thick New Yawk accent.

So I'm glad to hear that the flack I get for doing it this way is a benefit for others.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #187
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post

In the end I watched almost every video you have on YouTube.
My apologies.

Quote:
Dude, if you ever doubt of being gifted for teaching, I confirm that you are.
Thank you.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #188
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The only negative comments I get (and they are a very small minority) are about my speech pattern.
It's the message that's important. As a non native speaker I perceive that as your style. Like Dan Worrall also has a nice voice but a special rythm of speaking.

But what do you say to my "negative" comment some posts above?
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #189
vanhaze

Quote:
That actually means a lot to me.

So it seems that's all highly subjective cause i do find your speech pattern just very pleasant to my ears and quite unique and i always do like "unique"

The sound of your voice-over (mic signal) is very in your face and i like that: it's very "present" and has clarity.

There are others out there on youtube making fine Reaper tuts but i have always found (and still find) your's are truly the best.

Maybe it's your own choice not to go "commercial" with your (latest) Reaper tuts on "making-money" websites like groove3.com and askvideo.com (do they have to ask you for the job first ?), but imho, if you would, your Reaper tuts would stand out between other tuts for other DAW's on these sites, simply because they are unique to my ear in terms of how you make them and how they sound.

As always, just my very 0.02$
(BTW: keep them coming Kenny !!)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #190
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
So it seems that's all highly subjective cause i do find your speech pattern just very pleasant to my ears and quite unique and i always do like "unique"

The sound of your voice-over (mic signal) is very in your face and i like that: it's very "present" and has clarity.

There are others out there on youtube making fine Reaper tuts but i have always found (and still find) your's are truly the best.

Maybe it's your own choice not to go "commercial" with your (latest) Reaper tuts on "making-money" websites like groove3.com and askvideo.com (do they have to ask you for the job first ?), but imho, if you would, your Reaper tuts would stand out between other tuts for other DAW's on these sites, simply because they are unique to my ear in terms of how you make them and how they sound.

As always, just my very 0.02$
(BTW: keep them coming Kenny !!)
Thank you.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #191
GregBr

As a new Reaper user I have to say that these tutorials are one of the main reasons I decided to go with Reaper. These videos are awesome.

Also, Hey Funicello3 You're in Cool? I'm just over the hill from you in Colfax.
GregBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #192
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBr View Post
As a new Reaper user I have to say that these tutorials are one of the main reasons I decided to go with Reaper. These videos are awesome.
No doubt! And welcome to the forum.
Two years ago I hadn't used a DAW in 10+ years and last one I had was from 1995! Tried a few other DAWs but wasn't getting very far, Kenny saved the day!

REAPER 5 Explained (WATCH THESE FIRST!!!!) is priceless!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:08 AM   #193
Pashkuli
Banned

Just bought the course "Mixing in Reel Time".
Then bought the bundle... didn't realise it was included in that bundle (facepalm)

Home Studio Room & Acoustics
Building a DAW Mix Template
Mastering in the Box Explained
Mastering EDM in the Box
Mixing in Reel Time

I t doesn't matter because Kenny is The Man from whom to learn anything about Reaper. Kenny! Thanks!
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #194
Charred

Default I'm a new user and I have been getting tutorials from Lynda dot calm.

Quote:

Way to go - Kenny.

Thank you Kenny!

Eric
From the moment I read the easy to understand explanation of my systems 64 bit compatibility till I opened the first "new session", which came from a built in Reaper64 template, and everything lit up with music right away, I have been sold. Having said that, they haven't made me buy it yet and when I do nothing at all will change. We all have the full program now. It's a fuckin breath of fresh air.
(a fool would miss this chance and I am no fool, read on)

I had a pro tools membership, you know the one. It was crafted in Transylvania by Dracula and The Screaming daughters of Hell. Yes, I had it, and I complained so loudly they let me out. They maybe thought they'd bought silence with that gesture. No so. Pass it on, their contract will not stand up in court, they caved after a good shove.

Now, I have a Lynda.com thing for tutorials but this Course reads as though, this is the end all and the be all when it comes to training for Reaper64 use on a Macintosh, Mid 2011-21.5" with 16 gigs (max) of ram?

That's all a little cryptic. So, do these tutorials make my lynda.com thing unnecessary?
Charred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:12 AM   #195
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred View Post

So, do these tutorials make my lynda.com thing unnecessary?
For Reaper, yes.

Kenny's videos will give you info that will educate you about every aspect of Reaper.

I also suggest Rob van Hees's videos on YouTube as well. They are short, precise, and deal with one useful hint at a time.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #196
Kenny Gioia

Don't forget The REAPER Blog
Old 05-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #197
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Don't forget The REAPER Blog
You ROCK, Kenny...
Old 05-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #198
rluka

Thank you for the 'Mid Side Processing in REAPER' video. That was really helpful.

Ron L
Old 05-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #199
woogish

I like Kenny's voice delivery - his cadence reminds me of Chris Walken's
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #200
BobbyS

Kenny, I am new to Reaper and to audio home recording as well. These are really great videos that explain everything very well. The production of the video is really great! Thank you for making these videos as I do not think I would be able to sort it all out on my own.

I am moving right along with the videos and am up to #8 as of now. will not take me long to go through them and then I will fire up my new PC ( that I put together just for Reaper) and start recording!

Again, thank you for taking the time to do these!
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote