Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
Handyman
Human being with feelings

Default View doesn't always scroll during playback / editing

I record or import WAV audio files (podcast) to a track, zoom in, and make ripple edits.

As I edit the audio, the view doesn't always scroll when the playhead reaches the right edge of the screen. The playhead just disappears as it proceeds beyond the visible view. I have to pause / un-pause, and then the view scrolls to where I can see the current playhead position. Doesn't always happen, but it is happening often enough to make editing these podcast audios difficult.

I'm trying to figure out under what conditions the scrolling fails, but I can't reliably reproduce it. It always does this on every session however.

The scrolling fails only when the item I'm viewing is selected and it spans beyond the right edge of the Reaper window. If the item is not selected, then the view never fails to scroll properly. Does that make sense?

I have "Automatically scroll view during playback" checked in Options. I tried continuous scrolling, but don't care for the entire screen moving constantly. Any ideas where else to look for resolution to this? Thanks!
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Same thing happens here too. This is one of those things I've been meaning to make a post about but keep forgetting.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Tod

Welcome to the club.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=201943
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

That happens sometimes. All you have to do is hit the "'" key (by default) to resync the scroll with the play cursor.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
That happens sometimes. All you have to do is hit the "'" key (by default) to resync the scroll with the play cursor.
Thanks. That's helpful, and much more fluid than pausing.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:06 AM   #6
ivansc

Did you check out my response to Tod in the other thread about the transport controls - at least one reason why this happens?

Now I am used to doing things the "right" way life is simpler, but I hadn`t found that handy ! trick. Will try it later when I am on the studio machine.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #7
uncleswede

Quote:
Nice... thanks
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Did you check out my response to Tod in the other thread about the transport controls - at least one reason why this happens?

Now I am used to doing things the "right" way life is simpler, but I hadn`t found that handy ! trick. Will try it later when I am on the studio machine.
I looked in the thread that Tod posted above, but didn’t see a response from you. Are you referring to some other thread?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
jaydrake

Quote:
I thoink this happens when you select a media item while the project is playing... so that you can edit without the timeline scrolling. Then simply hit "'" and your back to normal. Very useful!!!
jaydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydrake View Post
I thoink this happens when you select a media item while the project is playing... so that you can edit without the timeline scrolling. Then simply hit "'" and your back to normal. Very useful!!!
You're right. That's it... I happens when you select an item while the project is playing. You know I would probably do that less if there wasn't such a drastic color difference between the selected item and the other items... It's kind of difficult to see the much darker non-selected items. Need to figure that out (as well as use the ' key).
Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydrake View Post
It also happens if you use the Horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the Reaper Arrange View while the project is playing. I use that all of the time so that's why I knew about the ' key.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
ivansc

I cant find that other thread, so...
I discovered that if you use the pause transport button and do an edit or WHY, when you resume play, scrolling is indeed broken as you describe. However if you use the stop button, it all works as intended.

I have been working this way for quite a while now and don't find it that uncomfortable, although it would be nice if this behaviour could be modified, wouldn't it?

Now that's funny - I just fired an old project up in reaper and I cant make it misbehave! Keeps scrolling on resume whatever I do! Weird....
Old 01-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
Tod

Okay, this is the latest I've posted about the Midi Editor, although it has little to do with the Arrange area, although I think how the cursor and time line appear might also be a factor in the Arrange area too.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202157
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Very handy. Thanks for the tip.