Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #41
RDBOIS
Banned

Not really. No more than most bass tracks I've had to contend with -there's always a way to get somewhere.

Hmmm... I thought I had cranked the bass up significantly more than the DEMO?! Perhaps I got the tone wrong? I was trying to let some low out, but have some spank for those listening on PC laptops/cellphones, etc.

For me the mixing issue was the vocals. The vocal track was very gritty, loud, and came with loads of reverb. It made it difficult to have them sit in the mix properly, so it required doing things to the other instruments that otherwise might not of been necessary.

Hope that helps.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #42
dug dog
Human being with feelings

I'm not sure what specific issues you're hearing with the bass guitar but I did notice that it's pretty far out of tune on the higher notes. Just fine on the lower notes, though.

(I've wondered if this might have been done on purpose to create dissonance and tension during those sections.)

At any rate, I'm looking to improve my chops so any feedback on the bass guitar thing is welcome.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #43
COAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
did you post the separate drum tracks?
Just uploaded those and put them into the initial post.
COAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #44
COAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Not really. No more than most bass tracks I've had to contend with -there's always a way to get somewhere.

Hmmm... I thought I had cranked the bass up significantly more than the DEMO?! Perhaps I got the tone wrong? I was trying to let some low out, but have some spank for those listening on PC laptops/cellphones, etc.

For me the mixing issue was the vocals. The vocal track was very gritty, loud, and came with loads of reverb. It made it difficult to have them sit in the mix properly, so it required doing things to the other instruments that otherwise might not of been necessary.

Hope that helps.
Now that I've figured out how to export tracks correctly, I'll remember to turn off the FX next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I'm not sure what specific issues you're hearing with the bass guitar but I did notice that it's pretty far out of tune on the higher notes. Just fine on the lower notes, though.

(I've wondered if this might have been done on purpose to create dissonance and tension during those sections.)

At any rate, I'm looking to improve my chops so any feedback on the bass guitar thing is welcome.
I will be checking out your mix tomorrow!! Cant wait!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #45
COAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
nice song. I was going to give it a go but when I downloaded the files I noticed you had everything already panned. Not a big deal because I can always mono the tracks but I also noticed you left your effects on the vocals. Is there anyway you can leave all vocal tracks dry or did you record with effects on?
I should be able to upload the dry vocal tracks. I had to do some creative work arounds on this project, including laying down vocal tracks onto a master mix, since my computer kept crashing when trying to record over 20 individual tracks. I'll see what I can do
Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 AM   #46
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by COAndy View Post
I will be checking out your mix tomorrow!! Cant wait!
Well, I hope it's not too anticlimactic.... LOL.

I wasn't sure how loud to make it as it seems the loudness war might now be over. Platforms like Youtube and Spotify are now setting every track's volume to the same level so there's no advantage in sending them a loud track. So, be sure to crank it up! (I've used a fade-in, though, so be careful not to blow your ears apart when the main riff comes in!)

Also, I'd never heard those Foo tunes you mentioned as reference tracks. They're clipping the crap out of something to get those guitar tones but I was unable to duplicate it with your stems (though I did take some creative license with your guitar tones.)

Cheers!

Last edited by dug dog; 01-09-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #47
dug dog

I just gave my mix another listen and didn't like the overall EQ so I gave it a tweak. And then, another....

After more tweaking, I'm not likin' my mix so I decided to pull it.

Might have a chance to get it where I want it but no point posting something I'm not happy with.

Last edited by dug dog; 01-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #48
karbomusic

Quote:
Platforms like Youtube and Spotify are now setting
On YT, if you right click any video and choose "stats for nerds" you can see how much it turned it up or down (just make sure the YT player's volume is at 100% so it doesn't offset the calculations). Basically it shoots for -13 or -15 LUFS (I forget which), so if you render to that target, YT won't do much if anything to the file. If you shoot for around -14 LUFS you should be golden for many music services (as a rough guess).
Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #49
COAndy

Quote:
I just gave my mix another listen and didn't like the overall EQ so I gave it a tweak. And then, another....

After more tweaking, I'm not likin' my mix so I decided to pull it.

Might have a chance to get it where I want it but no point posting something I'm not happy with.
Doh! If you post an updated version, let me know!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #50
neurodrive

my try

wav
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eAl...ew?usp=sharing

soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/neurodrive-au...reece-paranoid
neurodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #51
dug dog

I finally got a mix done.

However, I couldn't make it sound anything like the Foo mixes you referenced and I suspect the best way to do that might be to start over with the guitar tones. Also, those tunes had much less dense arrangements as well which makes a difference.

As it turns out, I couldn't resist the urge to smash the master limiter a bit as I preferred that sound even when volume matched with a less smashed version.

Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k72h2ykj5v...g%202.mp3?dl=0

Last edited by dug dog; 01-17-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #52
COAndy

Holy smokes, those drums! The drums sounds great, but the overall mix sounds really crushed to me. Its definitely really powerful, but probably not quite the sound I'm looking for. I thank you very much for taking a crack at it! It means a lot
Old 01-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #53
COAndy

Quote:
I finally got a mix done.

However, I couldn't make it sound anything like the Foo mixes you referenced and I suspect the best way to do that might be to start over with the guitar tones. Also, those tunes had much less dense arrangements as well which makes a difference.

As it turns out, I couldn't resist the urge to smash the master limiter a bit as I preferred that sound even when volume matched with a less smashed version.

Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k72h2ykj5v...g%202.mp3?dl=0
This was a really fun mix. The echos on the vocals werent my bag, but everything else was really fresh and different than anything I would have done. Thank you for this! I'm going to use this mix and a few others as a reference to get everything the way I vision it in my end!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #54
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by COAndy View Post
I'm going to use this mix and a few others as a reference to get everything the way I vision it in my end!
Cool. Have fun!

BTW, I noticed a couple of things that you might want to address. The kick drum is flamming or clipping or something here and there. You can hear it at 59.6 seconds and several other spots. And, for some reason, the bass guitar is out of tune on the high C# notes.

Cheers!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #55
COAndy

Quote:
Cool. Have fun!

BTW, I noticed a couple of things that you might want to address. The kick drum is flamming or clipping or something here and there. You can hear it at 59.6 seconds and several other spots. And, for some reason, the bass guitar is out of tune on the high C# notes.

Cheers!
Huh! Wonder why I never noticed that...especially since I generally tune up my guitars/bass before every take to avoid that very problem! I'll check into it. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #56
dug dog

If you're playing that note up high on the E string then there's likely an intonation issue with your bass.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #57
asafkle

Default Paranoid

So, here is my mix. (Late, but better than never)
I really think it is a nice song with some good sources as well.

Some points:
It seems like the vocals were already processed.
Sometime it will be much more easier to remix them with the raw sources.
If you have like specific points you want to keep in your mix( for example: low pass filtered vocals) you can add that as a reference.
Drums seem to be midi, you can bring for the next time the midi track so we can play with the sound more deeply.
But of course it just my advice, as I said- really nice work on writing, producing and recording that song.

Mix:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygg501vg68...20MP3.mp3?dl=0
asafkle is offline   Reply With Quote