Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
zm11
Human being with feelings

Default Upgraded to High Sierra and now Reaper is unusable

Hello,

I have been using Reaper since 2016 on my 2011 Macbook Pro. I have never had any trouble with Reaper in all that time running El Capitain. I recently bought a new keyboard (Native Instuments Komplete Kontrol S49 MK2) and the software required a newer operating system, so I downloaded High Sierra. And no, unfortunately i was very dumb and didn't do a backup before hand.

Once I had High Sierra on my Macbook, I started up reaper. I opened up a recent project I had worked on in EL Capitain. It loaded everything fine. It was when I hit play that I noticed something wasn't right. When I started to play back this song, my computer was struggling mightily and all I got was a very scratchy and clipping sounding playback. This song previously would playback fine in El Capitain no problem. I also noticed my CPU for Reaper was about 190% when trying to play back this song and the memory usage by reaper was over 1.2 GB. This song only had about 10 tracks, I didn't think my computer should be struggling that much just to play back this song.

After I discovered this issue, I created a brand new project with only one track. I loaded the KOMPLETE KONTROL FX for the keyboard and started playing something on the keyboard. Reaper was running better but still wasn't like it used to run. I could still hear a scratchy sound and latency when just listening to myself play.

I next tested out everything besides reaper. The keyboard, my interface (Focusrite Scarlet Solo), garageband, etc... Everything worked fine and as expected except Reaper!

After this happened, I thought maybe it was just my 7 year old computer and it couldn't handle the high stresses of Reaper. So I upgraded my original Hard-drive for a SSD and I upgraded from 4GB RAM to 8GB. This dramatically improved most other aspects of my computer but unfortunately did nothing to help with my Reaper issue.

I also tried uninstalling Reaper with CleanMyMac and then re-downloading from the Reaper website but this also didn't solve the issue.

Has anyone else had these same issues with High Sierra? Right now it would be impossible to actually work in Reaper like I used to with El Capitain. Any settings I can try changing or some trick i can try? I really appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks!!
zm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
serr

My advice would be:
First, get rid of any and all "clean my", "cccclean", "keeper", etc apps!
Carbon Copy Cloner is an app that will let you clone your system drive (or any other drives) 1:1. Keep multiple systems and boot into them when and as you please.

There may be a plugin or maybe even an interface driver that is not yet compatible with OSX 10.13. Your only choice at this point is to either go hunting for that or to do a clean install of 10.11 (which was a known working system for you).

In the long run, keeping backup clones of any system you build and not losing work (building said systems) or having downtime is the better answer. Manually installing OSX might seem like a PITA right now but it would end in success. I don't have a quick clue what might be incompatible from what you said or I'd share. It may or may not be something easy. But starting to keep your OSX installs and be able to flip back and forth between them is the thing to do. Not just having multiple systems hanging around to boot into feels like running out of gas or something.

That 2011 machine with a SSD is nicer than anything Apple sells currently and it's a faster machine than most of their newer models as well. Take care of it.

PS. Keep those installer files around! Apple tends to get severe amnesia with older software. That goes for anything useful found online for that matter. Don't ever expect to see something still there tomorrow!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
zm11

I'll definitely look into Carbon Copy Cloner.

I guess this has taught me a lesson to always have things backed up.

And good advice on keeping all installer files and anything else I find online. I may just have to revert back to El Capitain if I can't get this issue fixed.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Skijumptoes

Did you try trashing/renaming the entire REAPER folder from Library/Application Support?

Don't know what those 'clean' utils do as they're bad news, so don't know if it would remove that for you or not, but that will clear your settings and REAPER will run like new.

I'm running High Sierra on an older Mac Pro than you without issues, so it's not the OS that's at fault, just sounds like REAPER wasn't fully removed and you've got an extension or plugin playing up that's exclusive to REAPER.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
zm11

Thanks for your reply. I did not originally delete everything associated with reaper, only the app. I went back and deleted/cleared everything that had to do with Reaper. I started a brand new project and i have to say Reaper seems to be back to normal. But my old projects are still messed up so I will have to figure that out still.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm11 View Post
Has anyone else had these same issues with High Sierra? Right now it would be impossible to actually work in Reaper like I used to with El Capitain. Any settings I can try changing or some trick i can try? I really appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks!!
Sorry I can't solve your problems, but in answer to this question, yes, I am using REAPER without any problems in High Sierra, on a late 2015 iMac.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
serr

I quickly tried 10.13 on my laptop with my live sound template. 10.13 on a late 2011 Macbook Pro with the APFS disk format. Ran it for 4 hours with all 36 channels armed and recording and it just worked. The live setup is 128 sample block size, 48k audio. Haven't gotten around to building a new 10.13 system for the Mac Pro yet. One of these days...

Having said that, my plan is to keep the trusty 10.6.8 installs on both machines. Also keep a 10.9 install on both for the "main" system. Then keep another partition for the current version OSX (currently 10.13) for any R&D and to at least have an awareness of the latest and greatest.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote