Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Default Announcing public beta for BAMP, virtual bass amp JS-plugin!

The AmpEra 1.0 is just around the corner, but I had to play catch up and make an amp for the bass as well.
I hereby open a public beta program for my upcoming free virtual bass amp sim plugin BAMP.

Notable features:

- Two parallel channels with a blend slider, each with individual compressors, gain, EQ, and tweeter level.
- Includes a bypassable IR speaker selection of (currently) eight speakers (+ tweeter) from a combo to a man-tall speaker tower!
- Fourteen distortion modes for the "Drive" channel, from natural overdrive to totally overblown bass synth sounds!
- Seven band graphic EQs can be adjusted or reset individually, or together for both channels.
- Plugin is in JS format only.

As the version number 0.3 suggests, the plugin is still at an early beta stage. This means that the sounds, features and looks will change before version 1.0. If you really need to use a beta version in a project, hold on to the specific BAMP version, since the sounds will change and the beta versions will not be available at a later time.

Beta program

The beta is free to download and try. If you do try it, please let me know what you like and what you don't, regarding sounds, looks, and functionality. Your input will be crucial in determining how the plugin shapes up!

Download link:

http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v31

Other links:

Discussion about my other plugins.
Public beta of the AmpEra virtual guitar amp plugin.
mrelwood plugins website.

Thank you!

Version history:
0.3: First open beta.
0.31: Shift-drag or Shift-double-click a knob or slider to adjust both channels at the same time.

Last edited by mrelwood; 08-10-2019 at 11:48 AM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
mrelwood

To install JS plugins for REAPER:
- Unzip the downloaded package
- Create the following folder:

Mac OS:
~/Application Support/REAPER/Effects/mrelwood/

Windows:
C:\USERS\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Reaper\Effects\mrelwood\

- Copy/move both the included BAMP plugin file and the BAMP_data folder to the folder you created above.

Done! (Re)start REAPER (or press F5 in the plugin selector window) and you will find "BAMP" in the available JS plugins.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
mrelwood

Quick start guide for BAMP 0.3:

- Each knob and slider can be dragged individually, and the graphic EQ sliders can also be adjusted at the same time for both channels by dragging from the appropriate text label.
- Click the "Gain" label to choose the distortion modes for both channels.
- The channel blend slider can also be operated from the channel labels at the very left.

- Double-click any knob or slider to reset.
- Double-click the speaker list to bypass the internal speaker impulses.
- Double-click the small "X"-buttons next to the EQ to reset each channel's EQ individually, or both at the same time.
- Double-click the channel blend slider to reset, or double-click at the top or the bottom to select one channel only.

- The Hi Cut and Lo Cut knobs will engage and adjust a Low Pass or High Pass filter for each channel.

Before you reply with "The Cello mode doesn't sound at all like a real Cello", ask yourself this: Does the "Alien" mode sound like a real alien?

Yah, I know... I tested all kinds of ways how to destroy the original sound, and didn't yet want to scrap any more of them. It is likely that the final amount of saturation modes will be less.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Fabian

Thanks for this, it sounds great!

I played around with it using a bass di recording, and I can get very close to the tone that I used three (ReaComp, ReaEQ, and a 32-bit Bass Distortion) different FX to set up in the mix from where I took the recording. And I can easily get a whole lot of other good tones. This will surely be useful, just like AmpEra. Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be any "sleep" issues like with AmpEra, no cutting off of the initial transient. (I found a way to work around that with AmpEra, though)

BAMP takes roughly 8% CPU here, I don't have any problem with that, especially not for the great tone I can get out of it.

One thing, I would want to be able to adjust the Comp for both channels at the same time, just as is possible for the gain. And maybe also for the LoCut, HiCut, and Twter.

And BTW, the Alien setting is not so alien, I can imagine using it, for sure
Old 08-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
There doesn't seem to be any "sleep" issues like with AmpEra, no cutting off of the initial transient.
BAMP doesn't have nearly the amount of gain or CPU usage of AmpEra, so I don't think sleep would be very useful in the first place. And the lag will surely be fixed on AmpEra!

Quote:
One thing, I would want to be able to adjust the Comp for both channels at the same time, just as is possible for the gain. And maybe also for the LoCut, HiCut, and Twter.
That was a great idea! (Btw, you couldn't do it with Gain before either, the label was reserved for the Saturation mode menu...)
On BAMP 0.31 you can Shift-drag or Shift-double-click any knob to adjust both channels:

Quote:
And BTW, the Alien setting is not so alien, I can imagine using it, for sure
Great! Means I should keep it around and fine tune it for the final as well. How about the Duck? It's the one I keep on laughing at!
Old 08-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
JamesPeters

This is already the best sounding bass amp sim I've used, including several pedals I own. Great job!
Old 08-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
BAMP doesn't have nearly the amount of gain or CPU usage of AmpEra, so I don't think sleep would be very useful in the first place. And the lag will surely be fixed on AmpEra!
Here I see BAMP using slightly above 8% CPU. AmpEra uses roughly 9%. So the difference is not that big. Maybe AmpEra's sleep mode is not that useful either?

Quote:
That was a great idea! (Btw, you couldn't do it with Gain before either, the label was reserved for the Saturation mode menu...)
On BAMP 0.31 you can Shift-drag or Shift-double-click any knob to adjust both channels:
Great! Thanks.

Quote:
Great! Means I should keep it around and fine tune it for the final as well. How about the Duck? It's the one I keep on laughing at!
Yeah, the Duck... I don't think I'll be using it any day soon

Thanks again for these great FXs.
They are really great!