Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #321
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperGuy View Post
Thanks Fabian. Yes I understand that this is a very bare bones version of XP, and its intent is for a very specific use.

But I now have two installations of it on my PC, one strictly for music and the other for everyday use.

It's the 'everyday use' one that I'm mostly concerned about.
My previous XP installation (Media Center Edition) took up more than 8 Gigs and was much slower than this WinXP-AO version.

I can live with many cut out features and could work around this annoyance, but wonder if it is possible to get it working again.

However, instead of wasting a lot of time trying to fix something that is impossible to fix, I'd still like to know the following:

Those that are using this DAWUser n-lite setup, if you set your Start Menu to regular (not Classic Start Menu) and you click Start, do you see a list of previously loaded apps in the left column or is it completely blank?

TIA
It's blank here, but I use classic, so not a problem for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #322
ReaperGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
It's blank here, but I use classic, so not a problem for me.
Thanks for the input.
When you use 'classic', can you list frequently used apps on the 1st start menu, without going to Programs, Documents etc.?
If you can, I'll switch over to it.

TIA
ReaperGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #323
Throbert

you shouldn't use Duxp for the internet it's not intended to be used that way. you'll need a regular install for that, or you could nliten your own using duxes ini. go to mfsn.org to learn more
Throbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #324
zoso2

I'm downloading this right now, however I did not see anything mention if this is 32 or 64 bit. which is it?
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #325
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbert View Post
you shouldn't use Duxp for the internet it's not intended to be used that way. you'll need a regular install for that, or you could nliten your own using duxes ini. go to mfsn.org to learn more
DuX' XP works fine for interneting, You cannot use IE, though (at least I couldn't install it), but Chrome and MSSE work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
I'm downloading this right now, however I did not see anything mention if this is 32 or 64 bit. which is it?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #326
ruckus48

Default Silly question

WXPSP3AO sounds great, but I have a question (please forgive the ignorance of a newbie): I've burned the ISO to a CD, but there doesn't seem to be a setup executable like my regular XP CD. How do I install your version?
ruckus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #327
OldG

Just boot up with the CD in - setup will kick in as normal.
OldG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #328
frits

Default run as....

Hi Dux,

I'm using your xp version perfectly smooth for a long time together with reaper.

I don't wanna put reaper in the attic but....
Here's my next goal. I wan't to use Sonar X1 next to Reaper. But I can't install Sonar X1 since I need administrator rights to use ''run as..''.
Is there a solution for this because I like your speedy xp version.
frits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #329
Finnish

Thanks a million for this XP-version, once again! I got a used laptop (Dell Latitude D630) from my brother and I installed your XP right away to it, it's been wonderfully stable, I'm using it with M-Audio Profire 2626 + ADA8000 + Reaper as a live mixer with my band.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #330
indiependente

Hello,

Dux as really made a great job with this Audio Optimised Windows XP.
I'd really like to try a 64bit version of this, has I think was already mentioned by Dux to be working on something. Will it be available sometime?

Thanks for everything.

Cheers!
indiependente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #331
kondi

Hi!

All of the links are down since ~2 weeks. 3-4 weeks earlier i've successfully downloaded the iso (and tested rapidshare links too).

Now i'm in need of this iso but i can't download, anybody can share it with me?

Thanks in advance!

BTW i couldnt install it from an USB drive when i tried, and now i have an external drive to try it, and i'm very excited. Under W7 i got very serious truble with my usb soundcard this is my last hope
kondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #332
Mop

Can anyone upload the rar files or the iso somewhere? I'd really like to give this version of xp a shot but as per the above all the links in the first post are down and I can't find it anywhere else
Mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #333
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mop View Post
Can anyone upload the rar files or the iso somewhere? I'd really like to give this version of xp a shot but as per the above all the links in the first post are down and I can't find it anywhere else
Try this https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...ln3bemmcse6k7d
It's not the original iso, I created from the CD I burned from DuX' iso-file, and IsoBuster gave me an error, but still the file seems ok. If it is not ok, please let me know right away, so I can generate a new one.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #334
Mop

Thanks very much, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.
Mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #335
mikedcmdva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Try this https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...ln3bemmcse6k7d
It's not the original iso, I created from the CD I burned from DuX' iso-file, and IsoBuster gave me an error, but still the file seems ok. If it is not ok, please let me know right away, so I can generate a new one.
The CD.iso within the main rar appears to be corrupt..I am unable to open it with WinRar and see the containing files
mikedcmdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #336
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedcmdva View Post
The CD.iso within the main rar appears to be corrupt..I am unable to open it with WinRar and see the containing files
OK, try this one https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...ln3bemmcse6k7d
Now I used Portable ImageBurn instead of IsoBuster to capture the iso, and for this one IsoBuster tells me "no errors".
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #337
mikedcmdva

Quote:
OK, try this one https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...ln3bemmcse6k7d
Now I used Portable ImageBurn instead of IsoBuster to capture the iso, and for this one IsoBuster tells me "no errors".
Extracted just fine, thank you. I will report back the result of the install.

Thanks for your time
mikedcmdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #338
mixanthony

Default Any links?

Hi guys, is there any way to still get dux's xp? The links are still down and I also can't seem to find any others. I did download the iso that this nice fellow put up. Did the last guy have any luck with it? Also, I assume all the sp3 updates are fully integrated in this version, correct? Probably a dumb question, I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I fully intend on doing everything legally btw. Thanks!
mixanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #339
charonme

any plans for win7 (or better yet, server2008 r2)?
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #340
buckman

I'm desperate to try and download this to install but it says "Download not available" on that rapidshare link?

Is this still available? - is it available as a single file?

Thanks
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #341
OldG

Quote:

This link works - I just tried it now

burn to disc > put CD in comp and boot > setup will begin
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #342
buckman

OK yes, I think thats the same one I just found probably as you were typing!

I burnt this ISO onto CD from my Mac "Disk utility" called

WXPSP3AO

This opens ok on my PC with Docs, I386, Support, Valueadd Folders and other files..

So I think the ISO burn't ok and its readable on a PC. Obviously I have no way of knowing if it works on bootup without actually formatting my PC.. but i think it looks all ok?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #343
OldG

The disc works as you describe - just boot with CD in drive and setup will work ( even though there is no setup.exe)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #344
OldG

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Obviously I have no way of knowing if it works on bootup without actually formatting my PC.. but i think it looks all ok?
You could create a small partition and try it out in that,maybe..

I use DuX's XP on my laptop in a 10GB partition, with W7 on the main partition.
The main partition is also for recording to and VST's, etc.

You'll need to use something like the free EasyBCD to install if you have a later Windows OS already.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #345
pandel

Does anybody still have the latest nLite INI file (from post #1)? I'd like to build a customized version...
pandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #346
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondi View Post
All of the links are down since ~2 weeks. 3-4 weeks earlier i've successfully downloaded the iso (and tested rapidshare links too).

Now i'm in need of this iso but i can't download, anybody can share it with me?

Thanks in advance!
I re-uploaded it!

What it needs is a little update with the new SATA drivers, though. It could really be commendable to do that. At least newer Intel and AMD SATA drivers.

Btw. I also use it for Internet, too. With Firefox. And I have external hardware Firewall, no M$ BS.

I *personally* gave up on making the transition to 64bit, since I never need more than 2GB of memory per app. If you use memory hungry Native Instruments VSTis, run them as separate processes so they can use more memory and be more stable, too. I'm old school. I've been working with hardware samplers that used 8/16/32 MBs of memory and Atari ST [4MB RAM] with Cubase perfectly fine, and I know how to optimise the use of computer resources. So my projects aren't wasteful, and use only as much RAM and CPU as it is needed.

My *personal* opinion is that M$ is going nowhere from here, and it's useless to update to anything newer than Windows 7 if you work with multimedia, and you want to continue to use, support, and pay through the nose for the products M$ and its drone corporations produce. I think Linux is the future and the way to go, and GPL, freeware, or just cheaper software from independent developers. Linux has also been available in x64 for ages, too.

My big disappointment is OS-X. Tried, used, forgot about it. Yet another corporate OS that makes you pay through the nose for their proprietary OS, and monopolistic, capitalist BS. Even worse this time: you lose backwards compatibility of programs when you "upgrade", so all the apps you use have to "upgrade". It's just ridiculous. Also, OS-X is not exactly a performance king. Worse than XP with Reaper, at least. Plugins just use more resources, and it's certainly not more stable, no matter what Goebels like propaganda says, and their people who smile for money, just to make ends meet.

I've tried AV Linux, too: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html and it works very smoothly with its real-time kernel [something Windows will never have], and JACK is absolutely fantastic, but there's just not enough good *native* plugins I love for it. It's *such a shame*. There are also no drivers for TC Konnekt for it... there are RME drivers, though, so I could work with Linux, and connect Konnekt 48 to another comp... well, that's my food for thought, anyway. )

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 03-16-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: ADD
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #347
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by charonme View Post
any plans for win7 (or better yet, server2008 r2)?
There's no nLite for Windows 7 and it seems there will never be, unfortunately. So, therefore, making a lite version of Windows 7 would be really, really hard.

It would be nice to hav it, though, since there's so much crap in that OS. I can bet the install CD for Windows 7 could be smaller than 500MB. It's a safe bet because all MS was doing all these years since Windows 2000 was piling the crap upon crap upon crap. LOL So every time you get rid of the crap down the lane to W2000, you get the same OS again - Windows 2000.

Since you mentioned Server 2008, I don't think nLited version of XP is for you. This is for people who don't care about the features of OS, but provide the features themselves by using 3rd party programs, not MS's programs that come with the OS. You can do everything you want with this nLited AO-XP, and it can be a great server, too, but you have to know what you're doing and use 3rd party apps for that.

What I use on my XP: CCleaner, RegSeeker, VirtualBox, XNView, VirtualDub, GIMP, Media Player Classic, VLC, FFDShow, Foobar2000, 1by1, XBMC, Firefox, nPOPuk, X-News, AudioTerm, MP3DirectCut, DIGICheck, TC Near, Reaper, Wavosaur, EnergyXT 1.4, R8Brain, VSTAnalyser, Wavegain, CDDAE, CDRTFE, ImgBurn, Daemon Tools 3.47, Metapad, Mempad... many NirSoft and SysInternals apps, and some more apps, but not much. I have all this apps in my head, and know by heart. I can vouch for any of them.

I used Symantec Ghost for backup for more than a decade, and I do backup my system at least once a week, but now I've started to use Driveimage XML, and it's excellent. Since I refuse to use any antivirus or anti-malware software, it's good to have a backup handy, but I didn't need it often. So far only two times since ~2000. But you never know...

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 03-16-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: too much bananas
Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #348
DuX

THANK YOU FABIAN for your work. I'm no good with forums...

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #349
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandel View Post
Does anybody still have the latest nLite INI file (from post #1)? I'd like to build a customized version...
Take a look at the first post, I re-uploaded everything to Rapidshare, or here: http://rapidshare.com/files/411571163/WXPSP3AO.INI

If anybody knows of a better host for these files, just say so.

Last edited by DuX; 03-16-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: ADD
Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #350
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
THANK YOU FABIAN for your work. I'm no good with forums...

Cheers!
My mirror is still here: https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...emmcse6k7d.zip

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #351
brainwreck

Quote:
Take a look at the first post, I re-uploaded everything to Rapidshare, or here: http://rapidshare.com/files/411571163/WXPSP3AO.INI

If anybody knows of a better host for these files, just say so.
Box.com is good these days.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #352
Andy Hamm

Quote:
There's no nLite for Windows 7 and it seems there will never be, unfortunately. So, therefore, making a lite version of Windows 7 would be really, really hard....
Here is the NLite version for Seven. It's not NLite per say, but it does the same thing.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #353
indiependente

Dux,

Thank you so much for your work and all the help that it provides for this music passion. Since using the Windows XP AO version 2 all my experience with music making as dramatically improved. I have not enough words to thank you for this.

Quote:
I *personally* gave up on making the transition to 64bit, since I never need more than 2GB of memory per app. If you use memory hungry Native Instruments VSTis, run them as separate processes so they can use more memory and be more stable, too.
It was very nice to read your thoughts about current OSs in the music making context. Specially this thoughts on using 64bit OS were very mind free. I'd like to understand how can you run apps/vstis as separate processes in order to have their own memory allocation and stability.

Also, I have a question about using audio on your Windows AO. It's not a question specifically directed to Dux, but also for all the people using Windows. I use ASIO4ALL as my ASIO sound drivers. What I've noticed is that I can't have two applications at the same time using and sharing the soundcard. The first one launched locks the soundcard and the ASIO drivers and then other applications subsequently launched can't produce any sound. I thought this wasn't supose to happen in Windows XP but only in Windows Vista and so on. Does anyone knows how to workaround this very annoying issue?

Thanks in advance. All the best for all music passionists! Thanks for being part of such a nice community.

Cheers!!
indiependente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #354
saddle

What about Winreducer 7? Would that have any value for a Windows 7 equivalent of the XP SP3 package?

http://www.winreducer.net
saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #355
buggyboy

Shiiit links seem to be down again. Any good soul would reup somewhere pleaze? Or better yet, make a torrent!
buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #356
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyboy View Post
Shiiit links seem to be down again. Any good soul would reup somewhere pleaze? Or better yet, make a torrent!
My link doesn't work?
try this one https://chalmersuniversity.box.com/s...emmcse6k7d.zip

EDIT: Link was broken, the new one above should work... for now.

Last edited by Fabian; 12-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #357
Bob Headroom

(OT - Hi DuX - I was hoping to PM you but your box is full. If you still check new posts on this thread, hopefully you will see this one! If so, would you mind clearing some messages from your Inbox? Many thanks.)
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #358
Bean

Default Windows XP SP3 nLited and Audio Optimised

Hi Dux,

I have used your nlited version of XP to run Reaper and it is great! Thanks for making it available to us. I wanted to try using it to run some video play-out software, but it requires dot net framework. Do you have any suggestions on how to add that to your nilited version of XP?

Thanks
Bean
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #359
saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Hi Dux,

I have used your nlited version of XP to run Reaper and it is great! Thanks for making it available to us. I wanted to try using it to run some video play-out software, but it requires dot net framework. Do you have any suggestions on how to add that to your nilited version of XP?

Thanks
Bean
Download Firefox, put it on a flash drive and install it on the box. May have to setup your networking. Then download .net and have at it. That's how I setup mine. Works fine.
saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #360
flipotto

Default New dux install, mcu pro, class compliant midi driver not detecting mcu.

Can someone post the add dll files?
The link above is not working.

I can't get my new dux install to recognize my class compliant mackie mcu pro.
It loads audio driver but not midi driver.

So I am looking for a solution... Suggestions pm me. I don't want to derail thread.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote