Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default bug with time selection on item using mouse modifier

The only way to make it work is to use the shortcut to "move cursor to start of items." Otherwise, regardless of where the cursor actually is, if I use the mouse modifier for "extend time selection (w/ or w/out using snap)" - I'm using shift+left click, and also trying shift+ctrl+left click - to try and make a time selection on an item, it is as if the cursor position gets stuck invisibly at the edge of the last time selection I had made instead of making the time selection start from the cursor and end at the point I click on the item using the mouse modifier. Very frustrating.

earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
vadimred13

What you're looking for is:
SWS/AW: Toggle 'link time selection and edit cursor'
vadimred13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimred13 View Post
What you're looking for is:
SWS/AW: Toggle 'link time selection and edit cursor'
Interestingly, though, since I mostly prefer to edit with them unlinked, if I use the action "item navigation: select and move to previous item", and then try to create a time selection from the cursor point to where I click in the region, it doesn't work, and uses the previous time selection start as the new time selection start position instead of the cursor location.

And oddly, the same thing happens if I set the time selection to an item (shift+double left click, in my setup), then hit esc to clear the time selection, then shift+left click to extend the time selection. Even with the cursor at the start of the item, it uses the old time selection start for the selection that I made BEFORE I set the time selection to the item, and there is no visual cue to differentiate the time selection start point from the cursor position in these cases.

The only way around this is not to set the cursor to a new location by setting a new time or item selection via shortcuts for selecting items or time. Apparently, you need to use only the actions that literally say "move cursor" in them to actually set a new cursor location that will be used for a new time selection start.

Setting the time selection to an item via mouse modifier, or selecting an item may move the cursor, or even set a new time selection. However, if you clear that selection, the old time selection will still persist, and actions to extend the time selection will be set from the previous time selection position - the one made before setting the time selection to an item - unless you have used a command to literally move the cursor position, or using the mouse, clicked the cursor to a new location in the edit window after clearing the time selection.

This sure seems like a bug to me. One would certainly think that, once a time selection has been cleared, any new time selection should start from the current cursor position - not some invisible time selection start set prior to moving the cursor with specific actions, or by any time selections that may have been made by selecting items since, that somehow persists in memory even though there is no visible indication that it is still there when a selection has been cleared.

I mean, "unselect all, remove time selection" can't just apply to only some time selections made in specific ways, while others are persistent in memory with regards to extending a time selection after it has been cleared. Otherwise, why can I not extend the last time selection I made when selecting an item and setting the time selection to it after clearing that selection? Why does that not update the previous time selection referenced by the action to extend the time selection, but the one that I made with the mouse does?

Last edited by earhax; 04-26-2016 at 02:54 PM.
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote