Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Default Announcing public beta for BAMP, virtual bass amp JS-plugin!

The AmpEra 1.0 is just around the corner, but I had to play catch up and make an amp for the bass as well.
I hereby open a public beta program for my upcoming free virtual bass amp sim plugin BAMP.

Notable features:

- Two parallel channels with a blend slider, each with individual compressors, gain, EQ, and tweeter level.
- Includes a bypassable IR speaker selection of (currently) eight speakers (+ tweeter) from a combo to a man-tall speaker tower!
- Fourteen distortion modes for the "Drive" channel, from natural overdrive to totally overblown bass synth sounds!
- Seven band graphic EQs can be adjusted or reset individually, or together for both channels.
- Plugin is in JS format only.

As the version number 0.3 suggests, the plugin is still at an early beta stage. This means that the sounds, features and looks will change before version 1.0. If you really need to use a beta version in a project, hold on to the specific BAMP version, since the sounds will change and the beta versions will not be available at a later time.

Edit: We have come a long way, and BAMP 0.76 is quite different from the 0.3. I just haven't updated this first post in ages. Please check the current release notes from my latest posts in this thread!

Beta program

The beta is free to download and try. If you do try it, please let me know what you like and what you don't, regarding sounds, looks, and functionality. Your input will be crucial in determining how the plugin shapes up!

Latest download link (Jan-26 2020):
http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v76

Other links:

Discussion about my other plugins.
Public beta of the AmpEra virtual guitar amp plugin.
mrelwood plugins website.

Thank you!

Version history:
0.3: First open beta.
0.31: Shift-drag or Shift-double-click a knob or slider to adjust both channels at the same time.
Oh boy, we're at 0.76 now... way too many to mention!

Last edited by mrelwood; 01-25-2020 at 11:56 PM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
mrelwood

To install JS plugins for REAPER:
- Unzip the downloaded package
- Create the following folder:

Mac OS:
~/Application Support/REAPER/Effects/mrelwood/

Windows:
C:\USERS\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Reaper\Effects\mrelwood\

- Copy/move both the included BAMP plugin file and the BAMP_data folder to the folder you created above.

Done! (Re)start REAPER (or press F5 in the plugin selector window) and you will find "BAMP" in the available JS plugins.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
mrelwood

Quick start guide for BAMP 0.3:

- Each knob and slider can be dragged individually, and the graphic EQ sliders can also be adjusted at the same time for both channels by dragging from the appropriate text label.
- Click the "Gain" label to choose the distortion modes for both channels.
- The channel blend slider can also be operated from the channel labels at the very left.

- Double-click any knob or slider to reset.
- Double-click the speaker list to bypass the internal speaker impulses.
- Double-click the small "X"-buttons next to the EQ to reset each channel's EQ individually, or both at the same time.
- Double-click the channel blend slider to reset, or double-click at the top or the bottom to select one channel only.

- The Hi Cut and Lo Cut knobs will engage and adjust a Low Pass or High Pass filter for each channel.

Before you reply with "The Cello mode doesn't sound at all like a real Cello", ask yourself this: Does the "Alien" mode sound like a real alien?

Yah, I know... I tested all kinds of ways how to destroy the original sound, and didn't yet want to scrap any more of them. It is likely that the final amount of saturation modes will be less.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Fabian

Thanks for this, it sounds great!

I played around with it using a bass di recording, and I can get very close to the tone that I used three (ReaComp, ReaEQ, and a 32-bit Bass Distortion) different FX to set up in the mix from where I took the recording. And I can easily get a whole lot of other good tones. This will surely be useful, just like AmpEra. Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be any "sleep" issues like with AmpEra, no cutting off of the initial transient. (I found a way to work around that with AmpEra, though)

BAMP takes roughly 8% CPU here, I don't have any problem with that, especially not for the great tone I can get out of it.

One thing, I would want to be able to adjust the Comp for both channels at the same time, just as is possible for the gain. And maybe also for the LoCut, HiCut, and Twter.

And BTW, the Alien setting is not so alien, I can imagine using it, for sure
Old 08-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
There doesn't seem to be any "sleep" issues like with AmpEra, no cutting off of the initial transient.
BAMP doesn't have nearly the amount of gain or CPU usage of AmpEra, so I don't think sleep would be very useful in the first place. And the lag will surely be fixed on AmpEra!

Quote:
One thing, I would want to be able to adjust the Comp for both channels at the same time, just as is possible for the gain. And maybe also for the LoCut, HiCut, and Twter.
That was a great idea! (Btw, you couldn't do it with Gain before either, the label was reserved for the Saturation mode menu...)
On BAMP 0.31 you can Shift-drag or Shift-double-click any knob to adjust both channels:
http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v31

Quote:
And BTW, the Alien setting is not so alien, I can imagine using it, for sure
Great! Means I should keep it around and fine tune it for the final as well. How about the Duck? It's the one I keep on laughing at!
Old 08-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
JamesPeters

This is already the best sounding bass amp sim I've used, including several pedals I own. Great job!
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
BAMP doesn't have nearly the amount of gain or CPU usage of AmpEra, so I don't think sleep would be very useful in the first place. And the lag will surely be fixed on AmpEra!
Here I see BAMP using slightly above 8% CPU. AmpEra uses roughly 9%. So the difference is not that big. Maybe AmpEra's sleep mode is not that useful either?

Quote:
That was a great idea! (Btw, you couldn't do it with Gain before either, the label was reserved for the Saturation mode menu...)
On BAMP 0.31 you can Shift-drag or Shift-double-click any knob to adjust both channels:
http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v31
Great! Thanks.

Quote:
Great! Means I should keep it around and fine tune it for the final as well. How about the Duck? It's the one I keep on laughing at!
Yeah, the Duck... I don't think I'll be using it any day soon

Thanks again for these great FXs.
They are really great!
Old 08-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
This is already the best sounding bass amp sim I've used, including several pedals I own. Great job!
I've been humbled and made proud about my plugins by your guys' comments, but this time I'm honestly surprised. I'm not satisfied myself just yet. But I am sure happy to read that you already are!

Quote:
Here I see BAMP using slightly above 8% CPU. AmpEra uses roughly 9%. So the difference is not that big. Maybe AmpEra's sleep mode is not that useful either?
Are you using external impulses on the AmpEra? Because as a full-featured standalone plugin on my computer the AmpEra uses almost double the CPU cycles than BAMP.

We should see soon what kind of solution I'll come up with for the sleepyhead AmpEra.

Quote:
Yeah, the Duck... I don't think I'll be using it any day soon
Don't bash it until you blend it with the clean channel just right... It may well be usable for a little added attack and punch! ... and quack...

Quote:
Thanks again for these great FXs.
They are really great!
Thanks man! Lovely to hear that!
Old 08-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
Fabian

Quote:
Are you using external impulses on the AmpEra? Because as a full-featured standalone plugin on my computer the AmpEra uses almost double the CPU cycles than BAMP.

We should see soon what kind of solution I'll come up with for the sleepyhead AmpEra.
No no, I'm using it as it comes. The only thing I have tweaked is the @gfx to get the window width the same as the png.

But I have a workaround for the sleep mode issue, I feed AmpEra pink noise at -90 dB to keep it awake, and then I have ReaGate after it with threshold at -48 dB. This works, no more lost initial transients. The CPU hovers around 9%. I don't know if the pink noise has anything to do with that, but I do know that there are plugins that skyrocket their CPU% if they get too low input, denormalizing issue you know; could there be something like that with AmpEra?

Hm... maybe we should take that discussion over at the AmpEra thread?
Old 08-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
JamesPeters

Here's a CPU comparison on my system (with CPU throttling off so it's a "true" reading of CPU; my CPU frequency isn't scaling up or down during the test). The test is done during playback (so AmpEra isn't "asleep"). My CPU is a Core i3-6300.

AmpEra = 4.25%
BAMP = 3.3%

That's with HQ turned all the way off, no room/delay, no gate, so that AmpEra's CPU is as low as I can make it. (Internal cab sim in AmpEra is turned on though.)

Also I noticed something about BAMP that doesn't quite work properly. When dragging the graphic EQ controls for both channels simultaneously, the change doesn't occur until I stop/restart playback. (when adjusting the graphic EQ per-channel though, by grabbing a single slider, it makes an instant change during playback.)
Old 08-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #11
X-Raym

It would be so nice to have this in reapack way easier to install and to get update for testing while still in active development :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
mrelwood

Quote:
AmpEra = 4.25%
BAMP = 3.3%

That's with HQ turned all the way off, no room/delay, no gate, so that AmpEra's CPU is as low as I can make it. (Internal cab sim in AmpEra is turned on though.)
That is close to what I’m seeing as well. Haven’t checked how much, but BAMP CPU will be lower when only one channel is in use, the EQ is flat, and compressors are not used.

Quote:
When dragging the graphic EQ controls for both channels simultaneously, the change doesn't occur until I stop/restart playback.
Oh darn, of course! Time for 0.32...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
It would be so nice to have this in reapack way easier to install and to get update for testing while still in active development :P
I have to examine the ReaPack functionality in detail before going that route. But I am aware that at least for some people it would be a big deal.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
JamesPeters

Quote:
That is close to what I’m seeing as well. Haven’t checked how much, but BAMP CPU will be lower when only one channel is in use, the EQ is flat, and compressors are not used.
I like using all the features. It's worth the CPU to me. And soon my CPU will be a lot more powerful (new Ryzen system).
Old 08-11-2019, 04:33 AM   #14
jrk

what's with that funny little noise around 14.7 kHz? Is this some aliasing thing?

It's only going to affect young people, obv. :-)

And otherwise it sounds great.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #15
X-Raym

Quote:
But I am aware that at least for some people it would be a big deal.
Reapack has been downloaded more than 80 000 times so... yes :P

Don't hesitate to leave a message on Reapack thread or to contact cfillion if you need helps. Geraintluff also have a nice JSFX repo.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #16
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
what's with that funny little noise around 14.7 kHz? Is this some aliasing thing?

It's only going to affect young people, obv. :-)

And otherwise it sounds great.
I noticed the 14.6 and 14.8 kHz spikes as well. They come from Twtr; turning Twtr to zero they disappear. They are easy to notch out with ReaEQ. But maybe they should not be there to start with, I don't know. I sure cannot hear them but they show up in Span.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #17
Fergler

Yup, best sound I've had out of any plugin for bass so far. Easy to dial in.

One major suggestion, please change the blend slider from a linear slider to a curve of some sort. Not enough wiggle room dialing in 'just a bit' of distorted into the clean channel.

Minor suggestion: bigger UI please?

Stock cab models are excellent.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #18
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Quote:
I noticed the 14.6 and 14.8 kHz spikes as well. They come from Twtr; turning Twtr to zero they disappear.
BAMP doesn't (yet?) do any oversampling, so aliasing would be my first guess. But if it only comes with the Tweeter enabled, I'll have to check if the Tweeter impulse is ok. Thanks for reporting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
One major suggestion, please change the blend slider from a linear slider to a curve of some sort. Not enough wiggle room dialing in 'just a bit' of distorted into the clean channel.
That is definitely a reasonable suggestion. Will do!

Quote:
Minor suggestion: bigger UI please?
I'd prefer not to make it any wider. Do you think more height would help?

Quote:
Stock cab models are excellent.
Sorry, nothing I can do about that at this point!

Thanks guys, your feedback is immeasurably valuable! And great to hear that you like the plugin so much already!
Old 08-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
Fergler

Quote:
I'd prefer not to make it any wider. Do you think more height would help?
Yes, so you'd have room to increase size of everything more within range of 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio.

You could redesign it like:

Comp Gain LowCut HighCut Tweeter
EQ Channel 1
EQ Labels
EQ Channel 2

Beside all that (which should be roughly square), logo top right, under that the rest in some logical formation.
You would have more room for negative space, proper titles for knobs and larger text

p.s.
I downloaded after glancing over the op and without seeing the picture at the top, so I actually missed all the drive modes because I didn't know you could click on Gain. XD

Last edited by Fergler; 08-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
mrelwood

Quote:
EQ Channel 1
EQ Labels
EQ Channel 2
That’s an interesting idea. A few of my plugins have a scalable UI, but the layout is always the same rectangular one. I may experiment with this idea.

Quote:
I didn't know you could click on Gain. XD
Yeah... I know it isn’t obvious enough. Let’s try a proper button in there.

Quote:
Something else I noticed: if the fx window is really wide, somewhere off to the right of BAMP I can see numbers that indicate the settings of the graphic EQ.
There they are! Those rascals keep running away, I was wondering where they went! *facepalm*
Old 09-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
mrelwood

Hi guys!

Sorry for the radio silence. I’ve hit a few slightly large hurdles on the coding of the BAMP, and have struggled in getting it to a stage that could be published. A lot of learning has taken place, and while most of it will not reveal itself when using the plugin, the core of the plugin code is now a bit more advanced. As I think is the sound as well.

I also had to work a bit on my room acoustics, since the low frequency response was shown to be not at all what I had thought.

I have decided that once I get the sound signatures and the volume levels in order for the BAMP 0.5, I will let it go 1.0 relatively fast. My tendency to over-polish must step aside for this, as it needlessly delays the publishing schedule.

Stay tuned! If you’ve liked the previous BAMP versions, I’m pretty sure the BAMP 0.5 won’t disappoint! And even if you didn’t, you just might be positively surprised.

What’s new on BAMP 0.5:
- Reworked speaker impulses and sound signatures
- Reworked first three OD modes
- Reworked crunch mode
- New input stage for more amp-like dynamics
- Improvements on visuals and usability
-

All the best,

- mrelwood

Last edited by mrelwood; 09-05-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #22
Stringer

Sounds like it is going to be great!
Old 10-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
Fergler

Bug report, operating in anything other than 44.1khz is giving massive distortion to the entire Reaper project (o.0).

Just having BAMP loaded anywhere in the project even on muted tracks is causing the issue.

AmpEra is fine, I figured I'd test that too.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #24
mrelwood

Quote:
Bug report, operating in anything other than 44.1khz is giving massive distortion to the entire Reaper project (o.0).

Just having BAMP loaded anywhere in the project even on muted tracks is causing the issue.

AmpEra is fine, I figured I'd test that too.
This is very interesting, especially since BAMP has been created while using 48KHz system wide. Could you please do a few tests and report back:

- While the distortion is ongoing, does bypassing and/or hiding the plugin remove the distortion?
- Is the distortion limited to REAPER, or does playing music from other apps distort as well?
- What’s the CPU load of the BAMP while the issue is ongoing? This is shown in the track’s FX chain window below the FX chain when the effect is selected.
- Make the distortion happen, save project and re-open REAPER. Does the issue persist?
- What do you use for an audio device for REAPER? Does selecting a different audio device affect the issue?

Thank you!
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #25
mrelwood

Quote:
I have decided that once I get the sound signatures and the volume levels in order for the BAMP 0.5, I will let it go 1.0 relatively fast.
I’m sorry to report that what is mentioned in the quote above is no longer the plan.
I have now used versions of the BAMP twice in a live setting, and while the response and also the sounds for the most part are great, we have experienced troublesome behaviour in the dynamic frequency balance, causing a bit of extra work for our sound engineer. I had noticed the issue myself, but hadn’t realized the extent until in a live setting with large subwoofers.

While many internal elements will remain, I have started to re-design the internal sound structure of BAMP. I have no choice but to do better this time, since we have several more gigs before Christmas, and I just can’t go back to my humble pedal board any more!

Anyway, BAMP will now be getting my full attention again.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #26
Fergler

I think I actually fixed the issue by enabling 'Allow project to override device sample rate' in device preferences. Weird that it wasn't changing the Tascam 16x08 sample rate by simply requesting it with the usual tickboxes...

So glad to hear you are working on BAMP as it really does sound great.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #27
Rangler

Are there any good bass VST/AU to use with this? I don't own a bass and the free Ample Bass that I've tried is really bad and out of tune.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:30 PM   #28
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
Are there any good bass VST/AU to use with this? I don't own a bass and the free Ample Bass that I've tried is really bad and out of tune.
I haven’t checked what’s available now, but still a few years ago pretty much any $100 second hand bass would’ve sounded worlds better than the available free bass instrument plugins...
Old 11-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #29
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I use a mix of EVM Bassline (32-bit, and maybe only Windows) and pitched down guitar. Mixing them together, selecting the right pitch mode (and doing it on the item, not using ReaPitch or ReaTune) I think I can get quite a decent bass sound.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #30
Rangler

Quote:
I haven’t checked what’s available now, but still a few years ago pretty much any $100 second hand bass would’ve sounded worlds better than the available free bass instrument plugins...
I've been eyeing craigslist for one. I really want to build a short-scale tele-bass eventually.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #31
Rangler

Quote:
I use a mix of EVM Bassline (32-bit, and maybe only Windows) and pitched down guitar. Mixing them together, selecting the right pitch mode (and doing it on the item, not using ReaPitch or ReaTune) I think I can get quite a decent bass sound.
Pitched down guitars always sound gooey, but I used a pedal that pitched down. I should it ITB.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #32
mrelwood

Way too long in the making, I'm finally sharing a very unfinished version, with a lot of both visual and processing bugs. But because BAMP has transformed so much since 0.4, I wanted to start getting your opinions as early as possible.

So, behold, let me introduce the reborn, all new, interactive GUI, real tubes inside etc...

http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v70_beta

What's new ?
- Everything

What will still change?
- GUI drawing bugs and inconsistencies
- Section resizing works correctly (smoothly) only a few times after (re-)loading the plugin
- Snaps or breaks when adjusting parameters
- Various overdrive modes (not in use yet)
- Fine tuning all speaker EQ's
- Fine tuning overdrive and crunch sounds
- Settings/Options menu

I'm waiting to hear comments on the new UI. I'm sure some of you will hate it, and for those users: Just stretch the plugin window width wide open, and the sections will no longer go in the compact view!
Old 12-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #33
Fabian

Quote:
Way too long in the making, I'm finally sharing a very unfinished version, with a lot of both visual and processing bugs. But because BAMP has transformed so much since 0.4, I wanted to start getting your opinions as early as possible.

So, behold, let me introduce the reborn, all new, interactive GUI, real tubes inside etc...

http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v70_beta

What's new ?
- Everything

What will still change?
- GUI drawing bugs and inconsistencies
- Section resizing works correctly (smoothly) only a few times after (re-)loading the plugin
- Snaps or breaks when adjusting parameters
- Various overdrive modes (not in use yet)
- Fine tuning all speaker EQ's
- Fine tuning overdrive and crunch sounds
- Settings/Options menu

I'm waiting to hear comments on the new UI. I'm sure some of you will hate it, and for those users: Just stretch the plugin window width wide open, and the sections will no longer go in the compact view!
Wow! It looks great!
And it sounds good.

One issue though... When initially loaded the gate knob is turned fully to the right and the legend says "3.0". As soon as I touch (click and hold) the knob, it turns all the way to the left, and the legend says "100.0". If I turn the knob all the way to the right, the legend goes to "500.0". But the main issue is that whatever I set it to, the output is slowly turned down to eventually totally disappear.

Using the "Reset to factory default" in the preset dropdown, sets things back to factory defaults, sort of. Specifically, the gate knob goes back to full right with "3.0", but still no output, only strange clicks. I have to remove BAMP and add it again to get sound back.

Maybe you knew this already, but it was not on your todo-list.

Thanks for working on this. I already like the sound that comes out of it given a DI bass recording as input.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #34
mrelwood

Thank You Fabian, I had indeed missed the gate issue! The knob parameters and another output cutting issue I found are now fixed on the...

http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v71
Old 12-26-2019, 04:10 AM   #35
ivansc

Eagerly awaiting the revised 0.7x version....
Old 12-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #36
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Thank You Fabian, I had indeed missed the gate issue! The knob parameters and another output cutting issue I found are now fixed on the...

http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v71
Getting a 404 error on your link...
Old 12-30-2019, 01:38 AM   #37
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Getting a 404 error on your link...
Sorry about this! I'm very close to having the next version available, and I'll be sure to check that the link works this time.

I rewrote the compressor algorithm, added compressor presets, and I'm almost finished with a new panel expanding algorithm. A new version should be out very soon!
Old 12-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #38
kulich

FWIT - I exchanged the 3 for a 7 on the original link and the 0v71 demo downloaded into my download directory.

Wasn't going to mention it but a day later thought otherwise.

P
kulich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #39
mrelwood

As has been the habit of mine lately, I apologize for failing miserably to follow my own plans regarding the BAMP publishing schedule. I didn't like the functionality of the GUI, and going forward with the features I wanted, it was only going to get worse. So a lot of rewrite (and learning) had to take place. Getting the external IR loader to work seamlessly has also been a huge problem for me.

Where we are now is that BAMP 0.75 has a completely new GUI design, the IR loader works, several new features have been added, IRs have been rebuilt, overdrive and crunch sections have been rewritten, and BAMP has even been featured on a few Spotify tracks and several rock gigs providing me the best overdriven bass sound I have ever played bass through.

What prevents it from being version 1.0 is volume balances, and redoing compressor presets and the rest of the overdrive modes to fit the latest root sounds. In case they also take some time, I wanted to give you the reborn:

http://b.link/mrelwood_BAMP_0v75

Last edited by mrelwood; 01-24-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #40
JamesPeters

Default 0v_75

Very nice! This is a great plugin.

I have a few minor criticisms.

1) The EQ when fully expanded can be difficult to grab the frequency controls to move up/down or left/right. It limits you to moving either left/right or up/down when you grab a control (I assume based on what your first mouse movement after grabbing the control); maybe that difficulty in grabbing the control has something to do with this aspect.

It's also a bit difficult to understand what's going on in the EQ when it's fully expanded (mostly with the mid bands, since there isn't much visual feedback for them) but I can use my ears.

2) The IR loader seems to do something weird. If I choose between the different IR lengths, I assume a stop/start of playback is required for it to sound right (so that's not the issue). But when I selected the lowest 2 settings, the EQ sounds very different for them and the volume goes up dramatically (which makes the limiter react a lot more).

3) I somehow managed to reset the EQ while changing between IR lengths, and I was being careful with my mouse movement. The EQ wasn't expanded at the time (it only showed the 4 controls). I was able to make this happen a few times, but not consistently. It takes a bunch of clicking around.