Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
kid bliss
Human being with feelings

Default record monitoring off - distorted playback

i seem to be having a recording issue, i'm on windows 10 with a rme fireface ufxll.

the recordings of my synth in reaper are distorted.

got the synth connected, all sounds clean, as soon as i press arm record on, it sounds distorted.
same for 'record monitoring auto'.

in 'record monitoring off' it sounds normal, i can record it sounding normal but when playing it back it sounds distorted again.

never had this before and can't seem to solve the issue, been 10 days now yikes..

Last edited by kid bliss; 10-01-2020 at 07:07 PM.
kid bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
kid bliss

Any help would very much appreciated!

i tried changing all settings and un-installing and re-installing drivers, it feels like its a reaper setting that i missed out on.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
kid bliss

Bumping this..

unfortunately i still can't seem to find out what went wrong, i never had this issue with reaper.

please if anybody can help out?

Last edited by kid bliss; 10-01-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:56 AM   #4
Dr Bob

Try installing a "portable" version at a separate location on your system (ie don't overwrite your current install). Try the project with this, and if it's OK, then you need to figure out what's wrong with your current install.

If you haven't made any or too many mods to your current install, there's an option in the "start programs" (on Windows) to run Reaper and return to "factory settings". Just check the programs folder, there are a few different start options.

Alternately, you can go to the Reaper Resource Folder (check "Options" and find the show resource path item near the bottom - no need to go to "preferences"!!)

Once you have that folder open, close Reaper, go in and rename the "repear.ini" file (e.g. "reaperorig.ini" ).

Now run Reaper, it will create a new reaper.ini (hence the rename thing above), and now see if things work.

HTH

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
kid bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Try installing a "portable" version at a separate location on your system (ie don't overwrite your current install). Try the project with this, and if it's OK, then you need to figure out what's wrong with your current install.

dB
hello doctor, thanks for your time.
i did try the portable install, same distorted results unfortunately.

if i try what you mentioned,"there's an option in the "start programs" (on Windows) to run Reaper and return to "factory settings", do i do this with the new portable installed reaper or my original one?
i have some fears losing my settings & projects.

many thanks again!
Old 10-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Dr Bob

If you have the same results with a portable install ... then there's something wrong with either your project (routing and/or monitor fx etc) or your interface setup.

Don't reset your current install ... coz the portable is also not working!

Does it still show distortions with a brand new project using the portable install?

Hopefully someone with the same/similar interface could chime in as it may be a combo of reaper settings and other software used to control/setup the device.

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
domzy

I'm a bit unclear on what is happening - are you saying recorded audio is distorted (which you can hear when monitoring the signal through Reaper)?
As an RME user, i assume you're using TotalMix - sounds to me like you have the level turned down a bit when monitoring through TotalMix?

So maybe just a simple case of too hot an input level and confusion about monitoring the signal?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
kid bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
If you have the same results with a portable install ... then there's something wrong with either your project (routing and/or monitor fx etc) or your interface setup.

Don't reset your current install ... coz the portable is also not working!

Does it still show distortions with a brand new project using the portable install?

Hopefully someone with the same/similar interface could chime in as it may be a combo of reaper settings and other software used to control/setup the device.

dB
yes, i have the distortion recording error on all my projects, including new ones (portable and original)

monitor fx is empty.
and no fx on the armed track.

every projects sounds normal, its just the recording channel that keeps distorting.
synth output normal, cable normal, inserts normal.

my projects are playing normal, the rec error came sudden without any new hardware or driver changes.

so weird..
Old 10-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
kid bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
I'm a bit unclear on what is happening - are you saying recorded audio is distorted (which you can hear when monitoring the signal through Reaper)?
As an RME user, i assume you're using TotalMix - sounds to me like you have the level turned down a bit when monitoring through TotalMix?

So maybe just a simple case of too hot an input level and confusion about monitoring the signal?
hi there, yeah the recording is distorted, i use totalmix as well.

so i'm recording on mono channel 9, set reaper rec track to mono 9, having signal without distortion.
when i press rec arm on (on the recording track) and hit REC (cnrl r) it records the signal sounding clean but when i play it back its distorted.

it also plays distorted on 3rd party music players, so the recording is distorted.

all signals in reaper and totalmix are in the green, nothing seems hot.

i feel like i'm close its just that one little...
we all been there before : )

Last edited by kid bliss; 10-02-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:24 AM   #10
solger

Some general things:
  • First thing I'd recommend is to uncheck the Request sample rate and Request block size checkboxes under Preferences > Audio > Device (which are both checked in your screenshot in post #1) so the settings set up in the MADIface Series Settings window are used directly.
  • Also double-check the Project sample rate settings under File > Project Settings and uncheck the checkbox there as well (to use the UFX II settings by default).
  • And for testing purposes: have you also already tried if the behavior is the same when connecting the synth to a different input (than channel 9) on the front or back of the UFX II?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid bliss
... synth output normal, cable normal, inserts normal.
Just in case:
  • How did you check the audio cable?
  • And have you also tried using a different audio cable?
  • What's the model name of the synth you're using in this case?
  • And is the synth connected to input channel 9 via a XLR or 1/4" jack connection?

The TotalMix settings in your screenshot seem to look fine (assuming the synth is connected via 1/4" jack to input channel 9 - since you have Instrument level enabled on this input).
And I can't seem to reproduce the issue here, either (with the UFX II on Windows 10/version 1909 and Reaper 6.14/x64) when trying to use the same settings shown in your screenshots.
So (unless I'm missing something) it's really strange that you're getting a distorted signal ...

Quote:
never had this before and can't seem to solve the issue, been 10 days now yikes..
Quote:
...my projects are playing normal, the rec error came sudden without any new hardware or driver changes.
Just to clarify (since I'm not sure if you're referring with 'hardware' only to the audio interface or to the entire setup):
  • Does this also mean that recording the same synth was work fine before (using the same setup)?
  • And were there perhaps any other changes (like a major Windows update)?

What version of Windows 10 are your currently running (as example Version 1909 or 2004)?
The version number can be checked via:
  • Pressing Win + R to open the run console
  • Typing in winver

If the issue persists:
  • Can you maybe post a sample of one of the distorted audio files (so we can hear how the distortion sounds like)?
  • Or save and post a small example project including just the audio track (that was set up and used for recording the synth) and a recorded audio sample?

Last edited by solger; 10-03-2020 at 05:04 AM.
solger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid bliss View Post
got the synth connected, all sounds clean, as soon as i press arm record on, it sounds distorted. same for 'record monitoring auto'.
One more thing (for the sake of completeness):

Although your TotalMix screenshot doesn't indicate that you currently have a Loopback enabled, double-check for this in TotalMix, as well.

EDIT: see post #14

Last edited by solger; 10-03-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
kid bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Some general things:
  • First thing I'd recommend is to uncheck the Request sample rate and Request block size checkboxes under Preferences > Audio > Device (which are both checked in your screenshot in post #1) so the settings set up in the MADIface Series Settings window are used directly.
  • Also double-check the Project sample rate settings under File > Project Settings and uncheck the checkbox there as well (to use the UFX II settings by default).
  • And for testing purposes: have you also already tried if the behavior is the same when connecting the synth to a different input (than channel 9) on the front or back of the UFX II?

Just in case:
  • How did you check the audio cable?
  • And have you also tried using a different audio cable?
  • What's the model name of the synth you're using in this case?
  • And is the synth connected to input channel 9 via a XLR or 1/4" jack connection?

The TotalMix settings in your screenshot seem to look fine (assuming the synth is connected via 1/4" jack to input channel 9 - since you have Instrument level enabled on this input).
And I can't seem to reproduce the issue here, either (with the UFX II on Windows 10/version 1909 and Reaper 6.14/x64) when trying to use the same settings shown in your screenshots.
So (unless I'm missing something) it's really strange that you're getting a distorted signal ...

Just to clarify (since I'm not sure if you're referring with 'hardware' only to the audio interface or to the entire setup):
  • Does this also mean that recording the same synth was work fine before (using the same setup)?
  • And were there perhaps any other changes (like a major Windows update)?

What version of Windows 10 are your currently running (as example Version 1909 or 2004)?
The version number can be checked via:
  • Pressing Win + R to open the run console
  • Typing in winver

If the issue persists:
  • Can you maybe post a sample of one of the distorted audio files (so we can hear how the distortion sounds like)?
  • Or save and post a small example project including just the audio track (that was set up and used for recording the synth) and a recorded audio sample?

Solger thank you so much for your time and effort..

uncheck the Request sample rate and Request block size, done. was unchecked.
Project sample rate settings, done. was unchecked
connecting the synth to a different input, yes i tried 9/10/11/12 all with same results.

How did you check the audio cable? i changed it
And have you also tried using a different audio cable? yes a few

What's the model name of the synth you're using in this case? a arturia microfreak
And is the synth connected to input channel 9 via a XLR or 1/4" jack connection? 1/4"

Does this also mean that recording the same synth was work fine before (using the same setup)? all fine before
And were there perhaps any other changes (like a major Windows update)? a windows update yes. (oh boy!)

Windows 10 pro, version 2004 (os build 19041.450)

And loopback is enabled yes.

Again thanks a lot for your time, mucho much appreciated!
here some amazing audio:
Attached Files
File Type: rar disto aint disco .rar (164.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
kid bliss

i uploaded it to my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/romaxbeirut/d.../s-wIozc6ZrNrO

labels are calling already..

Last edited by kid bliss; 10-03-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #14
solger

Quote:
connecting the synth to a different input, yes i tried 9/10/11/12 all with same results. ...

...And were there perhaps any other changes (like a major Windows update)? a windows update yes. (oh boy!)

Windows 10 pro, version 2004 (os build 19041.450)
Ok. Not sure if it might perhaps be related to this then. I've seen a couple of posts about the 2004 update causing some problems in general (that's why I'm still on 1909).
Maybe try contacting RME support directly if there are any known issues with Windows 10 - 2004.

Do you have any other audio software (that support ASIO) installed to test if recording audio gets distorted there, as well?

EDIT: Or maybe even try if recording the synth directly to a USB stick via the DURec function on the UFX II results in the same distortion.

Quote:
And loopback is enabled yes.
Sorry. I should have phrased this better in my previous post. I meant to make sure that loopback is disabled (to rule this one out as possible source of the issue)

Last edited by solger; 10-03-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
solger

Quote:
connecting the synth to a different input, yes i tried 9/10/11/12 all with same results.
Maybe also try some inputs on the back, just in case.

Although it's strange that the issue seems to be same on multiple inputs - which would rather point to a routing issue (assuming the audio signal from the microfreak is not distorted in the first place before it reaches the UFX II input) ...

Last edited by solger; 10-03-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #16
kid bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Maybe also try some inputs on the back, just in case.

Although it's strange that the issue seems to be same on multiple inputs - which would rather point to a routing issue (assuming the audio signal from the microfreak is not distorted in the first place before it reaches the UFX II input) ...

Solger thanks again for your time!

i finally found the issue, it was a usb port, although direct in the pc it was most likely a wrong or conflicting port.
i have it now plugged in a 3.0 port without problems.

although i used to have issues last year with having the ufx plugged in the 3.0 port, oh well for now all sounds golden.

thanks to all here answering.