Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Qucifer
Human being with feelings

Default Waves / "Waves Central" Release

So, I got an email from Waves this morning encouraging me to go ahead and download their new "Waves Central" management system and their latest plug-in versions. To make a long story short--that was a mistake. I ended up with non-functional Waves plugins and I had to go through several rounds of installing/uninstalling to try and get it cleaned up. I'm back on the 9r29 release and things seem to be ok.

But now the License Center utility doesn't work anymore--it says that I need to download the latest version, which is the "Waves Central" release, near as I can tell.

I also hadn't realized that Waves won't even discuss these issues with me because I'm not on a supported DAW. The support staffer I spoke with directed me to the old "Waves Complete" installer, but wouldn't do anything else for me.

Did something go wrong with my install of the new version? Has anyone had success with it? Am I just out of luck with the Waves products I've purchased?

Q
Qucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
kirk1701

I got the same email. I haven't tried the download yet. Now I'm concerned.

I think I'll check out the website carefully before I download.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Qucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I got the same email. I haven't tried the download yet. Now I'm concerned.

I think I'll check out the website carefully before I download.
Like I said... something may have gone wonky with my installation process. I'm generally pretty solid with this stuff. And I haven't had ANY issues with Waves products before this.

Let me know if you manage to get the new version working.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Rusty Falcon

I'm having a problem related to Waves Central installation myself. Installed it yesterday, told it to Install the plugins again, which it did so. BTW I use Reaper x64 5.0.4 on Windows 7 x64. And it was rock solid with Waves v9r30 plugins even a mix of VST2 and VST3 in the same project.

Fired up Reaper... within 5 minutes I get an appcrash every damn time now:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 5.0.4.0
Application Timestamp: 560d3f81
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.19018
Fault Module Timestamp: 560a0083
Exception Code: c0000022
Exception Offset: 00000000000c96f8
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2413
Additional Information 2: 24130551e1e898738fbd4f5f9712101d
Additional Information 3: c00c
Additional Information 4: c00c2c90753afacecb37029554ebf3b8

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I've tried uninstalling Waves Central and the plugins, uninstalling Reaper, reinstalling Reaper, Reinstalling Waves Central and the plugins... everything I can think of.

About ready to uninstall everything Waves related and go back to the last installer v9r30.

Anyone recognize any of that stuff in the error message I got from Reaper ?

ETA: I checked my license status in Waves Central. It looks like there are a set of Local Licenses stored on my computer. Found this by moving all licenses back to the Cloud but the SW still comes up and is functional. Makes me wonder if this is somehow involved. Anyone know how to remove all Waves 'local licenses' ? If I had to guess I'd think I have to completely uninstall all Waves SW eh ?

Thanks!

Last edited by Rusty Falcon; 10-26-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
JHughes
Banned

I had it downloaded, wondered whether I should uninstall the old working Waves first because that isn't even mentioned in their tutorial, started the install anyway, then in a rare moment of lucidity I canceled out and deleted it. If it ain't broke don't fix it I said to myself. Whew, I dodged a bullet for once.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
Rusty Falcon

About sick to my stomach over this now. Removed Reaper, removed Waves, tried reinstalling everything fresh. No dice no matter what I did. I get the same appcrash/ntdll.dll error once into a project a few minutes that uses more than a couple Waves plugins.

And the v9r30 online installer no longer allows you to pull Version 9 plugins.

Ain't that sweet. I sent a message to Waves support. But since Reaper still isn't a 'supported host' I have no illusions they will assist me at all.

Next thing I can think of it doing a repair installation of Windows 7 or just taking my upgrade to Windows 10.

ETA: Read a gearslutz thread on the new installer... the v9r30 'offline' installer is still available, buried on the MultiRack download page. So I pulled that 1.2GB installer down. Am going to blow away my Waves and Reaper installs and start over trying the offline installer. Crossing my fingers.

Sigh.

Last edited by Rusty Falcon; 10-27-2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Blackhorse

Default Waves V9r30 Download

After two days of dicking around, I must sincerely thank RUSTY FALCON for his post. I have all my V9 WAVES PLUGINS running in Reaper. As Mr Falcon stated, go to this address http://www.waves.com/downloads/multirack and download V9r30. Use Waves Central to move your licences to the cloud or I can see no reason to not just move them to a high quality USB stick. Uninstall Waves Central. Search for all WAVES files and folders on C Drive and get rid of them (You might want to back up your system first!) Run V9r30 and install the products you have licences for. Reinstall Wave Central and move your licences back from the cloud. I did clear my VST cache and re-scan it within Reaper.

I think we can just keep hammering WAVES that many of us who work professionally in the field are REAPER users by choice and very happy indeed with the DAW. surely it does not have to be this hard!

Last edited by Blackhorse; 11-03-2015 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Success!
Blackhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
After two days of dicking around, I must sincerely thank RUSTY FALCON for his post. I have all my V9 WAVES PLUGINS running in Reaper. As Mr Falcon stated, go to this address http://www.waves.com/downloads/multirack and download V9r30. Use Waves Central to move your licences to the cloud or I can see no reason to not just move them to a high quality USB stick. Uninstall Waves Central. Search for all WAVES files and folders on C Drive and get rid of them (You might want to back up your system first!) Run V9r30 and install the products you have licences for. Reinstall Wave Central and move your licences back from the cloud. I did clear my VST cache and re-scan it within Reaper.

I think we can just keep hammering WAVES that many of us who work professionally in the field are REAPER users by choice and very happy indeed with the DAW. surely it does not have to be this hard!
I bought a couple of Waves plugins on sale yesterday. It's been a while since I've updated anything Waves related and I was fearing the worst. Sure 'nuff: after installing the new plugins all my Waves products would crash Reaper.

I scanned this whole thread, after Googling my problem, and found this post by Blackhorse, distilling Rusty Falcon's post, to be the most simple solution... so, that's the one I tried first. Worked like a charm... thank you Blackhorse and Rusty Falcon! I've been mixing all morning and not a single problem.

Like Blackhorse, I did have to run "clear cache and rescan" when I opened Reaper after following the instructions above, the Waves stuff wouldn't show up until I did that. I think I lost a few presets but that's no big deal; I always have to tweak, or toss 'em and start over, from mix to mix.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
Blackhorse

Default Reaper and Waves Central

Hi all

I just received and excellent response from WAVES regarding this issue and I post it here FYI.

Thank you for contacting Waves Tech Support.

Reaper was never an officially supported host, this is not due a lack of will to support hosts but when qualifying a host to be supported there are various technical considerations that are taken and it is not always possible to do.

If the previous version worked well for you, a workaround would be to re-install your plugins with our former installer.

Below are steps to do so:

Un-Install Waves:
Launch Central. Click on Install > Uninstall.
Uninstall all of your Waves products.
Click on your Windows Start Button and type in the search bar %appdata%. Enter the Roaming folder.
Delete the Waves Audio folder.
Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio. Delete the Central folder.
Navigate to C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Waves Audio\instl.
Delete the Cache folder.

Waves Version 9 Installation:
Download and Run Waves Version 9 Online Installer from this page.
At the installation Type Menu select all of your Waves bundles. Scroll down and under Single Plugins select your single plugins.
Click Continue and perform the installation.
Once finished Quit the installer.

Let me know how it goes, Daniel WAVES

I was personally impressed with this response, and I feel it was likely due to the approach I took. Anyways, I hope this helps someone out!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #10
Hannes_F

"Daniel WAVES" probably forgot:

Move your licenses to the clound or an USB stick before uninstalling Waves.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
Qucifer

So I need to use my laptop for some upcoming mobile work. I used the new Waves Central installer to install all of my plugins on that machine--which had never had a Waves installation before. That seems to have worked fine, and the laptop is up and running with the new 9.6 version.

I was also able to use Waves Central to move my licenses around on my workstation (running the old 9r29 version of the software) and on my laptop.

Something must have gone wrong with the upgrade to the new 9.6 Waves Central version on my workstation. Once I get out of my current crunch, I'm going to carefully uninstall the 9r29 version and do a fresh installation with Waves Central... hopefully everything will be good.

It really does bother me that Waves is unwilling to support Reaper.

Edit: The Waves products that I'm using include C1, RenVerb, RenChannel, the API suite, VEQs, HDelay
Old 11-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
ivansc

Anyone know how this is working out for users of other daws? Reluctant to wade through all the traditional Waves hate on Gear slutz.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
G-Sun

Cudos to Blackhorse and Waves for the above solution!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Blackhorse

Default Hope on the Horizon for the Waves - Reaper Working Relationship.

Dear Reaper Community

I have been liaising with Waves and been fortunate to begin very positive discourse with higher management regarding the Reaper/Waves relationship.

I have this morning received emails from two departments including The Director of Pro Audio Products.

I quote Gilad Keren from Waves, "We will discuss this soon and hopeful will soon start full reaper support."

This is fantastic news of course.

I ask you all to please liaise with Waves in a positive and professional manner as I am finding the team and management very willing to talk towards a positive outcome for all concerned.

Kind regards to you all.

Brett
Old 11-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
Judders

Quote:
Dear Reaper Community

I have been liaising with Waves and been fortunate to begin very positive discourse with higher management regarding the Reaper/Waves relationship.

I have this morning received emails from two departments including The Director of Pro Audio Products.

I quote Gilad Keren from Waves, "We will discuss this soon and hopeful will soon start full reaper support."

I ask you all to please liaise with Waves in a positive and professional manner as I am finding the team and management very willing to talk towards a positive outcome for all concerned.

Kind regards to you all.

Brett
Good work!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
ivansc

Excellent news! Well done.

I will sit back and wait for the fix, though, just the same.
Everything here is still working 100% without the manager, so no worries.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #17
Blackhorse

Default It's official. Waves will Support Reaper ASAP

Hi all

Fantastic news. I have just received this message from Amir Vinci, Director of Pro Audio Products - WAVES

Hi Brett

I'm looking into making Reaper support official. It shouldn't be too overly difficult for the basic reason that we have communicated with Justin Frankel and Reaper development in the past and it was all good. I don't have an eta but it looks like a.s.a.p and I'll keep you posted.
Otherwise it seems that some of the issues you describe are more to do with 9.6 and Central where something isn't working right and I apologize for the inconvenience and will do my best to improve this experience too.

I thank you again for using Waves products and wish to be worthy if your business and provide you with excellent product and service.

Best regards,
Amir

I have found Amir and the Waves team exceptional to liaise with and would like to take this opportunity to extend my gratitude to them.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #18
Qucifer

Quote:
I'm looking into making Reaper support official. It shouldn't be too overly difficult for the basic reason that we have communicated with Justin Frankel and Reaper development in the past and it was all good. I don't have an eta but it looks like a.s.a.p and I'll keep you posted.
That's REALLY awesome news. I'd love to be able to continue to buy Waves products... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Q
Old 11-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #19
Rusty Falcon

Quote:
Hi all

Fantastic news. I have just received this message from Amir Vinci, Director of Pro Audio Products - WAVES

Hi Brett

Otherwise it seems that some of the issues you describe are more to do with 9.6 and Central where something isn't working right and I apologize for the inconvenience and will do my best to improve this experience too.

I thank you again for using Waves products and wish to be worthy if your business and provide you with excellent product and service.

Best regards,
Amir

I have found Amir and the Waves team exceptional to liaise with and would like to take this opportunity to extend my gratitude to them.
Great work!!! This will so cool if they finally officially recognize Reaper!

Brian
Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #20
G-Sun

Ok,
got it.

Moved all licenses to cloud
Cleaned all waves folders
Installed all my plugins with v9r29
Managed all licenses with v9r30.

Working
Old 12-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #21
Pinknoise

Default All working fine but not right away.

I got mine to mork after various install/deinstall and clear cache.
I would open up Reaper and where is my VEQ4 ? Or where is my Kramer HLS ?
So I had to reinstall and clear cache at least 3 times before everything showed up properly and I don't have any problems now. I was also trying to install the 64 bits only and no VST3. I abandonned and settled for both 32 and 64 bit and everything is working now. So I'd say don't give up with the new version try various installations until it works.

Waves announced support to FL Studio recently when I saw that, I figured Reaper is next and should be very soon.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #22
Rusty Falcon

Glad you two got up and working!

Since I was a pretty active grumbler in this thread I think it's time to close my issues on a positive note.

I got to the point where I was pretty certain it was a problem with 'ntdll.dll' rather than Reaper or Waves.

To correct this, my choices were a repair install to Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10

I did a Win7 repair install on my wife's desktop earlier in the year and knew this would involve hours of updates and settings to get back to functional. And I'd still be on Windows 7. :>

I knew a Windows 10 upgrade from USB media only took about 1-2 hours but was concerned about my Firewire FW410 device functioning. Online review showed me about a 50% success rate using this device under Windows 10.

Decided to take the plunge last week and did the Windows 10 upgrade.

Surprisingly and pleasantly, the only drivers I had to install were for my NVIDIA card, my Creative sound card (used for gaming, not music), and a webcam. The FW410 worked just fine after the update apparently using the same driver as it did under Windows 7.

I did however completely remove Waves from my computer and followed the linked guide for a clean Waves Central install.

Guess what...

Reaper 5.1 x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64 / Waves Central / plus all Slate Digital stuff and other VST2 and VST3 plugins - all playing nicely and working well together!

Working on my first mix with the new setup now and it seems solid.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #23
nakedzen

I had the same problem just now, installed CLA Vocals via Waves Central which removed my previous install of L2. Then reinstalled L2 through Waves Central. After that opening any project that had L2 on it made Reaper crash immediately. No amount of unistalling/reinstalling fixed anything. L2 wasn't visible in the plugins list either when opened from an empty project.

The fix was to open an empty project and "clear cache and re-scan" the plugins after I uninstalled Waves Central and did these:

Quote:
Click on your Windows Start Button and type in the search bar %appdata%. Enter the Roaming folder.
Delete the Waves Audio folder.
Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio. Delete the Central folder.
Navigate to C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Waves Audio\instl.
Delete the Cache folder.

Now everything seems to be back to normal.

Edit: Scratch that. It worked *once*. Now Reaper hangs again immediately when I try to open the project.

Edit2: Now it works again after I re-scanned again. We'll see if that situation stays.

Last edited by nakedzen; 01-16-2016 at 07:28 AM.
nakedzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #24
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedzen View Post
I had the same problem just now, installed CLA Vocals via Waves Central which removed my previous install of L2. Then reinstalled L2 through Waves Central. After that opening any project that had L2 on it made Reaper crash immediately. No amount of unistalling/reinstalling fixed anything. L2 wasn't visible in the plugins list either when opened from an empty project.

The fix was to open an empty project and "clear cache and re-scan" the plugins after I uninstalled Waves Central and did these:

Now everything seems to be back to normal.

Edit: Scratch that. It worked *once*. Now Reaper hangs again immediately when I try to open the project.

Edit2: Now it works again after I re-scanned again. We'll see if that situation stays.
I had issues with REAPER crashing in a similar manner. It would run fine once after I installed Waves and then crash every time after that. If I ran the Waves installer again, REAPER would then run once again and then crash.

What ended up fixing my issue was to right click on the REAPER.exe file in the REAPER install folder and select 'Run as administrator'. That fixed the crashing issues. The one issue I did have with running REAPER as admin is that drag and drop from Windows Explorer then didn't work. I worked around that by downloading Free Commander XE and also setting that to run as admin. I now do drag and drop from that.

Hopefully a more permanent solution from either Waves or Cockos (or both in collaboration) will resolve the issue properly. Until then, this works for me.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #25
bladerunner

My brief experience with Waves is likely to be over soon. Problems in Reaper, Podium and Harrison Mixbus... The only DAW they seem to play fine with is S1 and I'm selling that now lol.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #26
Indemuse

Thanks to all for the help and troubleshooting. I got the same spiel from Waves so I went back to 9.3. Here is my reply to Waves. Everyone in the Reaper community needs to voice their displeasure:

"Thank you for your reply. Please pass along to those that make decisions at Waves - we in the Reaper community love your plugins and we are deeply hurt that you will not make them more compatible with a DAW that is growing by leaps and bounds in both capability and popularity. As Reaper becomes more mainstream in a time when ProTools is losing customers left and right, I think it would be a good business decision for Waves to investigate the eventual need to make Reaper a supported platform. Thank you."

***UPDATE*** - Just got a message from Waves:

Hi Robert.

Thank you for your comments.

Just to let you know we are aware of Reaper's popularity and we are going to qualify this DAW.
For some reason it's not an smooth process and we are encountering some issues but we are qualifying it as we speak. I still do not have an ETA for official support and keep in mind that it might take a while.

If you need further assistance feel free to contact us or visit http://www.waves.com/support

Last edited by Indemuse; 01-20-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: update news
Indemuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #27
Psync

Quote:
Dear Reaper Community

Kind regards to you all.

Brett

Very good news! Thanks for the effort!

No (more) problems here with Waves Central, seems to work fine now.

But really good to know that in the future, we'll probably need to worry less about Waves - beit either installing new plugins or compatibility after updates on either (Reaper/Waves) side.
Psync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #28
G-Sun

I contacted Waves support.
Here's my reply:

Quote:
The new Central application will remove any old files from your system if you installed a new product since it is updating all plugin files to the latest version 9.6 which cannot coexist with any old plugin file on your system.
For me this is a no-go.
I'm e.g. relying much on Waves Tune for pitch,
and to have to redo all those edits for old projects is just not ok.

So, I can't use any new Waves licenses/plugins for a long time..

Is this the case for all other DAWs as well?
I can't understand how Waves can break all old projects for all users.